TEAM SHELBY FORUM

drag racing

well i finally did it. man was that a blast. i went to the local midnight drags and ran 235 coupe down the strip.

4 times. the first i didn't know what to expect. ran 14.8 at 97 got a bad start.

the other 3 times really consitatnt 14.2 14.3 14.2 97 to 98 mph.

thinking back i forgot to turn off the overdrive. so perhaps next time i may get to 100 and 13 something. as well i squeeled tires on the 2nd 3rd and 4th run. just didn't get out of the gate on the first run. :hysterical:

the most exciting pass was againt a brand new cal. special 5.0 i had him all but at the end he ran 13.8 i ran 14.2 on that one. was a good race.

You need some of these!

Yea it's a blast for sure. I wish I had a track at a lower elevation!! You loose about a second to a second 1/2 up here at mile high. Last year I was running 14.50's. I lost some low end with the Hot Rod cams and was running 14.80's Here at Bandimere Friday night. I guess I need the supercharger now!! Altitude stinks!!

100_0519.jpg

What really stinks is that my buddy's 2011 V6 he just got was running 14.80's also. I guess that is actually pretty awsome. That is amzaing speed actually.

Back in 06 we rented one in AZ We took it to the track 4 drivers we got that car down to 13.79 we had traction control turned off and had lowered the tire pressure. Good burnouts got the tires nice and hot so there was no chirping between shifts.

You need some of these!

Yea it's a blast for sure. I wish I had a track at a lower elevation!! You loose about a second to a second 1/2 up here at mile high. Last year I was running 14.50's. I lost some low end with the Hot Rod cams and was running 14.80's Here at Bandimere Friday night. I guess I need the supercharger now!! Altitude stinks!!

100_0519.jpg

What really stinks is that my buddy's 2011 V6 he just got was running 14.80's also. I guess that is actually pretty awsome. That is amzaing speed actually.

those would be nice to have for sure. perhaps my next purchase. who knows all i know is i will be returning thats for sure. to much fun.

• 2 weeks later...

You sly dog. Which one did you run? I hope too make a pass this summer at Great Lakes Dragway.

Awesome!

Its really addicting.

I have been going with my son for years to watch at Englishtown ...

and this past Saturday he took his first pass in Dale's 08 SGT...

He ran a 14.2 at 97....

I ran 13.83, 13.78, 13.79 and 13.785

street tires.......75-80 degrees......

we had a great time.

Congrats on your pass.

edited to correct last time posted. 5/26

I took my wife's 2011 V6 Auto w/3.31 axle to the track while it was still cool here in So. FL and it did a 13.8, and that was just my 2nd pass of getting use to launcing it. Unfortunately, I didn't get to make another pass that night. Her pony got lots of attention. Below is the timeslip.

PBIR3-11-2011.jpg

IMG_4978.jpg

Awesome!

Its really addicting.

He ran a 14.2 at 97....

I ran 13.83, 13.78, 13.79 and 13.75

we had a great time.

Congrats on your pass.

Cool Michael!!!

Too bad you didn't take your car. I would love to see what the whipple and 410 gears will do.

Below is my best time so far. Still work to do to get it lower...lol

It's always fun at the track. I'm 4400 btw, the other car, one of those damn AMG's...lol

Dan

CCF05242011_00000.jpg

Great thread! Awesome!

Randy I thought for sure you would ask Mean Gene for his TIME SLIP.:hysterical:

Yeah great Thread Gene, I am happy for you that you took one of your THREE GT-H's to the strip. Now you got to take one of them to the road course at Tulsa.

My buddy just bought a 2011 V-6 6 speed manual. He's an every weekend drag racer, so very good. He and his brothers have many drag cars. Even at our over mile high altitude, he is running 14.60's, which is faster than any stock SGT at this altitude. Bummer! but also good to see what Ford is doing. There will always be newer and better. Depressing that his bone stock V-6 is faster than my car! So the 13.8 run by the v-6 above seems about right. Altitude sucks! An average 13.00 second car at sea level will be running 14.50's at mile high. No oxygen!

Yeah great Thread Gene, I am happy for you that you took one of your THREE GT-H's to the strip. Now you got to take one of them to the road course at Tulsa.

Good point! :hysterical:

I took my wife's 2011 V6 Auto w/3.31 axle to the track while it was still cool here in So. FL and it did a 13.8, and that was just my 2nd pass of getting use to launcing it. Unfortunately, I didn't get to make another pass that night. Her pony got lots of attention. Below is the timeslip.

PBIR3-11-2011.jpg

IMG_4978.jpg

That's awesome! I love the new 6 banger... Do you have any sound clips of the exhaust?

I'd love to see what the 6 does with a SC! :burnout:

Cool Michael!!!

Too bad you didn't take your car. I would love to see what the whipple and 410 gears will do.

Below is my best time so far. Still work to do to get it lower...lol

It's always fun at the track. I'm 4400 btw, the other car, one of those damn AMG's...lol

Dan

CCF05242011_00000.jpg

Nice time Dan.......I wil post my slips later today! :happy feet:

My car is going next time.......Im getting the deep draw hood put on and having the stripes painted...it wasnt ready....

so I did the next best thing and brought Dales SGT.

That's awesome! I love the new 6 banger... Do you have any sound clips of the exhaust?

I'd love to see what the 6 does with a SC! :burnout:

Thanks. Sorry, I have no sound clip of the exhaust. Ecept for the Magnaflow Street series axlebacks, the exhaust is all stock. The magnaflows have a nice deep sound without any drone. The OE muffs were way too quiet, plus the 4" tips on the magnaflows fill the opening on the GT500 / GT/CS rear valance so much better.

Nice time Dan.......I wil post my slips later today! :happy feet:

My car is going next time.......Im getting the deep draw hood put on and having the stripes painted...it wasnt ready....

so I did the next best thing and brought Dales SGT.

Here are 3 of my slips from saturday.......running dales bone stock 08 SGT......The fourth run was identical to my best time of the day of 13.785...

Etown timeslips May 2011.pdf

Here are 3 of my slips from saturday.......running dales bone stock 08 SGT......The fourth run was identical to my best time of the day of 13.785...

Wait till you get your car out there, but be prepared to want (need) to get some drag radials. :peelout:

They'll really help on the launch with the Whipple... :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Dan

Is Dale's SGT a stick on stock wheels and tires? I know from taking my stock SGT stick down the strip, that 13.7 / 13.8 ETs are hard to come by in stock form. Please share your tips for launching Dale's SGT, so maybe I can beat my wife's 2011 V6, LOL

SGT_PBIR_10092009_.jpg

I'm used to launching my 2005 GT at 5500 RPM, and just dumping the clutch. It got consistant 12.8s and 1.7 60's. It was N/A with CAI, 93 SCT tune, UDPs, Pro 5.0 shifter, O/R H, Magnaflow catback, Spydershaft, TruTrac w/4.10s, diff girdle, Adj UCA, LCAs, M/T ET Streets (Bias Ply) and linelocks. With the exception of a Pro 5.0 shifter, my 08 SGT is totally stock.

Wait till you get your car out there, but be prepared to want (need) to get some drag radials. :peelout:

They'll really help on the launch with the Whipple... :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Dan

Just put some Nitto Invos on my car now........255/35/18 up front......295/35/18 out back......cant wait to get her out there.

I hopin they hook as advertised! (Alex) :hysterical:

Is Dale's SGT a stick on stock wheels and tires? I know from taking my stock SGT stick down the strip, that 13.7 / 13.8 ETs are hard to come by in stock form. Please share your tips for launching Dale's SGT, so maybe I can beat my wife's 2011 V6, LOL

SGT_PBIR_10092009_.jpg

I'm used to launching my 2005 GT at 5500 RPM, and just dumping the clutch. It got consistant 12.8s and 1.7 60's. It was N/A with CAI, 93 SCT tune, UDPs, Pro 5.0 shifter, O/R H, Magnaflow catback, Spydershaft, TruTrac w/4.10s, diff girdle, Adj UCA, LCAs, M/T ET Streets (Bias Ply) and linelocks. With the exception of a Pro 5.0 shifter, my 08 SGT is totally stock.

No problem......these were my first passes in her car.......so I really didnt know what to expect.

Dale's 08 SGT is a bone stock automatic. It wears street tires, Hankook Ventus V12s on all four corners......3/4s of a tank of gas...

I leave the traction control on.....overdrive off.......start to leave on the last yellow........

and I was finding that less than full throttle would make for smoother more agressive gear shifts from the automatic........

it was sunny and about 75-80 degrees.......I dont know how much of this is obvious.......but hope it helps.......

No problem......these were my first passes in her car.......so I really didnt know what to expect.

Dale's 08 SGT is a bone stock automatic. It wears street tires, Hankook Ventus V12s on all four corners......3/4s of a tank of gas...

I leave the traction control on.....overdrive off.......start to leave on the last yellow........

and I was finding that less than full throttle would make for smoother more agressive gear shifts from the automatic........

it was sunny and about 75-80 degrees.......I dont know how much of this is obvious.......but hope it helps.......

Thanks. I'm sure this will benefit someone with an automatic. Unfortunately, mine is a manual. Thanks again!

Thanks. I'm sure this will benefit someone with an automatic. Unfortunately, mine is a manual. Thanks again!

ran 13.3s (morning) and 13.5s (afternoon) in my 5 speed 07 SGT....on street tires......last year at Etown......

that car has 4.10s and basically no other performance mods......(when I ran it last spring)

some say that car should have run 12.9s with DRs but I wouldnt know cause I never ran it with DRs....

oh and I forgot......lowered my tire pressure first to 30 and then to 25 to help hook up.......

liked it at 25 with my 18s.......

I feel you have to come out at like 2500 rpm off the line...any higher and tire spin becomes an issue....

Have a blower on that car now and hope to get back to Etown with her later this year........looking for an 11 something if I can get it together........

good luck to ya..........

ran 13.3s (morning) and 13.5s (afternoon) in my 5 speed 07 SGT....on street tires......last year at Etown......

that car has 4.10s and basically no other performance mods......(when I ran it last spring)

some say that car should have run 12.9s with DRs but I wouldnt know cause I never ran it with DRs....

oh and I forgot......lowered my tire pressure first to 30 and then to 25 to help hook up.......

liked it at 25 with my 18s.......

I feel you have to come out at like 2500 rpm off the line...any higher and tire spin becomes an issue....

Have a blower on that car now and hope to get back to Etown with her later this year........looking for an 11 something if I can get it together........

good luck to ya..........

Yes, you'll need some DRs to get into those 11's. My 05 would hook excellent leaving the line at 5500 rpm, and that was with M/T ET Streets (bia ply) on OE 17" wheels. I still very much want to install a blower on 08SGT0528, just as soon as I can afford one. Thanks again!

Awesome!

Its really addicting.

He ran a 14.2 at 97....

I ran 13.83, 13.78, 13.79 and 13.785

we had a great time.

Congrats on your pass.

edited to correct last time posted. 5/26

that is sweet, wick and yes very addicting. cant wait to go again. will post times w/o overdrive..

definatly.

• 2 weeks later...

went back to the track w/ 235. temp. was 70's still ran 14.2's may be the lower profile tires? idk still yet very pleased ran against a new camaro and won. as well a 03 mustang w/ some mod's and won. no other late model mustang ran faster than me that night. next time 209 gets the attention. lol stock 18's on 209 so we will see.

Archived