TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TVS upgrade

Here are some of the pics from the TVS install on my KR.

Make sure you follow the instructions that come with the TVS and use the pics to help guide you. Although these pics are in sequence, they are not all of the steps that are in the install manual!!!

The install should take you 2 to 3 hours the first time.

Get everything set up on a work bench so that you have in your mind what is involved.

IMG_6140.jpg

Insert the 1/2" drive breaker bar into the SC belt tensioner and push from passenger side to drivers side. This will put slack into the belt.

slide the belt under the heat exchanger hose that runs into the intake manifold. This will keep it in one place and out of the way.

IMG_6134.jpg

Remove the two bolts on the ESM. These bolts are replaced by new bolts in the kit. Just pull the ESM back a bit.

IMG_6143.jpg

There are a lot of lines to pull off vacuum lines, fuel lines, hoses. There is one hose on the back of the intake elbow (Break booster hose) that requires a special tool, a 3/8" fuel line disconnect tool.

IMG_6135.jpg

Insert over the metal tube and slide under the hose. Then pull back on the hose. This will disconnect the hose for you.

IMG_6136.jpg

View with hose pulled back

IMG_6137.jpg

Remove the passenger side fuel rail and rotate it forward and out of the way. The driver's side fuel rail does not have to come off, as noted in the instructions..

IMG_6148.jpg

Unbolt the supercharger

IMG_6152.jpg

View of the heat exchanger under the intake. Make sure you put the two dowel pins you remove from your stock sc into the new TVS prior to bolting the new one on!!

IMG_6153.jpg

Installing the TVS with two dowel pins inserted!!! Don't forget

IMG_6162.jpg

TVS on and all the bolts placed in for good alignment.

IMG_6169.jpg

Be sure to torque the bolts following the inside outside pattern in the install manual. Torque is a two step process. First pattern at 44 in lbs, then 121 in lbs

IMG_6170.jpg

Finished install. Make sure all the lines, hoses, and connectors are connected!!

IMG_6175.jpg

Once this is all done, start it up. If it runs rough, then a connector or hose is not attached. I left one of the wiring connectors from the TB off, and it ran rough. Connected it and it ran real smooth.

The car can be idled and driven prior to the installation of the tune, but you CAN NOT kick in the sc!! I would suggest starting it, make sure it runs smooth and then install your tune!!

I hope this helps...

Gary

And as to running the TVS with other than an optimized tune, why? The KR/FRPP CAI tune isn't the same as the tune that FRPP supplies with the ProCal. Dev Saberwal, Ford Racing's lead calibration engineer, developed the TVS tune for good reason, no?

That's a good question that I'm trying to get an answer on. :headscratch:

Make sure you follow the instructions that come with the TVS and use the pics to help guide you. Although these pics are in sequence, they are not all of the steps that are in the install manual!!!

Get everything set up on a work bench so that you have in your mind what is involved.

IMG_6140.jpg

Insert the 1/2" drive breaker bar into the SC belt tensioner and push from passenger side to drivers side. This will put slack into the belt.

slide the belt under the heat exchanger hose that runs into the intake manifold. This will keep it in one place and out of the way.

IMG_6134.jpg

Remove the two bolts on the ESM. These bolts are replaced by new bolts in the kit. Just pull the ESM back a bit.

IMG_6143.jpg

There are a lot of lines to pull off vacuum lines, fuel lines, hoses. There is one hose on the back of the intake elbow (Break booster hose) that requires a special tool, a 3/8" fuel line disconnect tool.

IMG_6135.jpg

Insert over the metal tube and slide under the hose. Then pull back on the hose. This will disconnect the hose for you.

IMG_6136.jpg

View with hose pulled back

IMG_6137.jpg

Remove the passenger side fuel rail and rotate it forward and out of the way. The driver's side fuel rail does not have to come off, as noted in the instructions..

IMG_6148.jpg

Unbolt the supercharger

IMG_6152.jpg

View of the heat exchanger under the intake. Make sure you put the two dowel pins you remove from your stock sc into the new TVS prior to bolting the new one on!!

IMG_6153.jpg

Installing the TVS with two dowel pins inserted!!! Don't forget

IMG_6162.jpg

TVS on and all the bolts placed in for good alignment.

IMG_6169.jpg

Be sure to torque the bolts following the inside outside pattern in the install manual. Torque is a two step process. First pattern at 44 in lbs, then 121 in lbs

IMG_6170.jpg

Finished install. Make sure all the lines, hoses, and connectors are connected!!

IMG_6175.jpg

Once this is all done, start it up. If it runs rough, then a connector or hose is not attached. I left one of the wiring connectors from the TB off, and it ran rough. Connected it and it ran real smooth.

The car can be idled and driven prior to the installation of the tune, but you CAN NOT kick in the sc!! I would suggest starting it, make sure it runs smooth and then install your tune!!

I hope this helps...

Gary

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. :beerchug:

That's a nice throttle body. How much hp is it worth with your setup?

FRPP TB from what I've heard is worth 10-15 hp. The tb was installed awhile back prior to the tvs and the throttle response was improved dramatically. After the TVS install, wow what a difference!

I hope this helps...

Gary

I would suggest installing the tune FIRST, before the TVS. This way if there's a problem with the tune, you don't have to take the TVS back off. That's what I did.

I would suggest installing the tune FIRST, before the TVS. This way if there's a problem with the tune, you don't have to take the TVS back off. That's what I did.

Very good point and a must! What's the saying....."Measure twice and cut once".

It all depends on where in the tune the possible fault is. I feel that if you install the tune, you're not going to want to run it up through the RPM with stock equipment, wrong tune for stock hardware! You won't be able to data log it accurately either. When the TVS is installed the car will run, or should run, perfectly fine if the install was done correctly. Then I would install the tune. If you don't trust the tuner, then you may want to install the tune first, but still, you won't be able to run it at WOT, unless you want to do some damage...

Archived