TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TVS upgrade

I'm seriously thinking of getting the FRPP TVS for my KR as the prices have considerably dropped on these.

I know some of you have this upgrade on your KRs and I would like to ask some questions.

Is this a complete bolt on with no other mods or parts required?

Can I use my existing CAI?

What size pulley does this kit come with? how much boost?

How much HP could I expect with the conservative FRPP tune?

How much HP with a Lund or VMP tune?

What's the smallest pulley available? how much more boost?

Are you happy with this upgrade?

Sorry for all the questions. IMO the KR should have come with the TVS installed at Shelby. :peelout:

IMHO there is no tune required. If you feel better about thinking you need to tune the car with the tvs, I would have Justin / VMP do it.

The car is ready as it sits for the tvs. The first thing a tuner does is go in and change the MAF curve. I strongly disagree with this. All hardware is there on the kr and ready as it sits. Let the computer do it's job.

You can't really blame the tuners for believing that adjusting the MAF curve is how to do a tune. SCT teaches them to do just that. This leads to overall drivability issues. The MAF curve was created over painstaking years of analysis by ford. A tuner thinks they are smarter than ford? I don't think so. Let the computer do it's job. Don't touch that curve! Someone trying to sell you a tune that you "need", IMHO, doesn't know what they are talking about when it comes to the KR.

Again IMHO, you don't need a tune until going above about 800hp. And then your tune is in replacing sensors to measure the larger volume of air. But until that time, the KR is setup for everything with the existing MAF curve and the hardware (sensors) to measure those larger volumes of air.

I know this is contrary to what everyone thinks. I strongly disagree. No tune needed.

The tvs is a bolt on. A simple swap. Bolt it on and done.

Tuners will show you how rich the car is running. The car WILL run rich as the cat monitors come on, the IAT2 temps increase, and so on. Ford did that for a reason. To cool te engine. A tune is only goingto mess up that whole proccess.

Ymmv. But that's how one guy (me), sees it. If you want a laundry list of tune differences between a stock KR and gt500 stock, I'll post them. Remember, the kr has all the existing hardware as it sits. It can measure large volumes of air, stock. Up to about 800hp. Somewhere around there. Let the computer do it's job. A tuner only goes in there and tricks the computer into thinking it's operating at different temps, etc. It tricks the computer. This isn't good.

The tvs is a bolt and go. And I too am dying to out one on. It should have come on the car to begin with.

i did the tvs i added vmp 2.65 pulley .i used the factory cold air that came with car. also i did the revan racing cooling package .the tune i went with jon lund tune.i use the vmp ilder .as for install it was pretty easy.

If not too much trouble, I'd like to see that list posted. I'm curious.. :)

I'll get it to you. On vacation w family now around Malibu. When i get home I'll get it to you. There is quite a difference between the kr stock tune and the gt500. Plus, the KR comes with all larger sensors. No tune needed

I have the TVS on mine and agree, the KR should have come with this supercharger!! Anyway, my TVS came with the Ford tuner and a Ford tune. Justin from VMP installed the 2.65" pulley and matched ported the inlet and the elbow. It provides 15lbs of boost, but that is where my gauge ends, 15psi. Upper pulleys go to 2.59 maybe smaller, you can add a lower pulley that will increase boost. I have the FRPP CJ TB as well. This is good for another 130 - 140 HP. Looks, Sounds, and performs great!!! Oh, i had my tune created by Justin, since it was his pulley and port matched elbow. The car runs really good... If you decide to take it off, it will take you 2 hours on average to change it back.

Thanks for all the responses. :beerchug: Keep them coming. :yup:

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on this SC. I inquired about the installation at a local Mustang shop. They told me that I needed a dyno tune, MAF, fuel system and heating upgrades. :shrug: I told them I didn't want a 800 hp+ monster and that I would be happy with another 100 or so HP...for now.

I think I'm gonna go with the FRPP tune for now and maybe attempt the install myself, unless I can find a local shop that will install it without trying to sell me other parts/mods that aren't needed. :spend: I can always add a smaller pulley later.

That will be a great set up with the stock FRPP tune. I installed the dual pass heat exchanger too, a must with any GT500, especially with the upgrade. Good luck!

i did the tvs i added vmp 2.65 pulley .i used the factory cold air that came with car. also i did the revan racing cooling package .the tune i went with jon lund tune.i use the vmp ilder .as for install it was pretty easy.

It was great to see you again at the Hill Country cruise. That's when I decided I wanted a TVS after seeing your setup. :yup:

That will be a great set up with the stock FRPP tune. I installed the dual pass heat exchanger too, a must with any GT500, especially with the upgrade. Good luck!

Thanks. :beerchug:

I was looking for your thread where you had pics of your install, but I couldn't find it.

It was great to see you again at the Hill Country cruise. That's when I decided I wanted a TVS after seeing your setup. :yup:

yeah it was great getting to hang out .hey if you need any help just ask .alway up for a cruise to go help out.

When I get back home, I'm going to post an article about tunes and MAF. I strongly disagree with a needed tune. It's a KR. Not a gt500. And I'll post the difference between the two as far as the laundry list of things needed.

If I was going to do this I would:

2.8 pulley on the tvs. Going smaller than that too much heat buildup

Heat exchanger that Shelby sells. Dual pass

One piece drive shaft....especially if going to wider tires than stock

170 degree thermostat

L&M 66mm tb

L&M plenum. The plenum has to be mated to the intake blower to getthat 15 hp. Air gets too burbled without matching them and you can actually lose hp if you don't.

The max you can go, IMHO, without a tune is about 680 to the wheels. Going above that, you are getting close to the mass air meter being pegged. And then, a tune is more about replacing sensors.

Talk to Dennis at tasca ford about KR tunes. He might give you some insights as to what is and what isn't. But you have to talk to Dennis. Only him. One of maybe 10 experts in the country of how to tune a KR.

Why, does anyone, and I'm talking about tuners, think they are going to outsmart ford? Yes, there are safety factors involved with ford in the development of a MAF curve. But those safety factors are there, and exhaustively tested, for a reason. Especially if you live in an area of drastic temp swings between winter and summer. You mess with the MAF curve, IMHO, you are asking for trouble. The car should behave in all weather conditions same as stock.

Think about it. If a tuner, who is going to make money off a tune on your car, says you need a tune....to me, sounds to me like the fox guarding the henhouse. The end proof results are the before and after a/f ratios. If they are the same with all hardware being installed, which they will be, why would you change what ford has done? The end proof is in the before and after a/f ratios. They will be the same...no tune.

The tvs alone will net about 100hp. Tb, plenum, about another 40-50, if you mate the plenum.

IMO go with the FRPP TVS and pro cal tune and be done with it. Conservatively you'll gain 120hp. No other mods needed and very safe and proven tune. Yes there's more power to be had but I've had custom tunes and honeslty I couldn't tell SOTP difference. TVS is awsome, best mod for the money and should have come with the car to start with.

I'm seriously thinking of getting the FRPP TVS for my KR as the prices have considerably dropped on these.

I know some of you have this upgrade on your KRs and I would like to ask some questions.

Is this a complete bolt on with no other mods or parts required?

Can I use my existing CAI?

What size pulley does this kit come with? how much boost?

How much HP could I expect with the conservative FRPP tune?

How much HP with a Lund or VMP tune?

What's the smallest pulley available? how much more boost?

Are you happy with this upgrade?

Sorry for all the questions. IMO the KR should have come with the TVS installed at Shelby. :peelout:

What kind of price are you finding? Where did you get that price? I am also considering this purchase.

When I get back home, I'm going to post an article about tunes and MAF. I strongly disagree with a needed tune. It's a KR. Not a gt500. And I'll post the difference between the two as far as the laundry list of things needed.

If I was going to do this I would:

2.8 pulley on the tvs. Going smaller than that too much heat buildup

Heat exchanger that Shelby sells. Dual pass

One piece drive shaft....especially if going to wider tires than stock

170 degree thermostat

L&M 66mm tb

L&M plenum. The plenum has to be mated to the intake blower to getthat 15 hp. Air gets too burbled without matching them and you can actually lose hp if you don't.

The max you can go, IMHO, without a tune is about 680 to the wheels. Going above that, you are getting close to the mass air meter being pegged. And then, a tune is more about replacing sensors.

Talk to Dennis at tasca ford about KR tunes. He might give you some insights as to what is and what isn't. But you have to talk to Dennis. Only him. One of maybe 10 experts in the country of how to tune a KR.

Why, does anyone, and I'm talking about tuners, think they are going to outsmart ford? Yes, there are safety factors involved with ford in the development of a MAF curve. But those safety factors are there, and exhaustively tested, for a reason. Especially if you live in an area of drastic temp swings between winter and summer. You mess with the MAF curve, IMHO, you are asking for trouble. The car should behave in all weather conditions same as stock.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to that article and the list of tune differances for the KR.

BTW, what size pulley does the TVS come with? How much boost does it make with that pulley?

The 07-09 version comes with 3.0. 10+ come with 2.8.

07-09 12psi

'10 15psi

Here is the complete kit if you want to go all Ford Racing.

http://www.buyfordracing.com/products/2007-%252d-2009-MUSTANG-SVT-605-HP-SUPERCHARGER-UPGRADE-KIT.html

Thanks for the info. :beerchug:

Damn, it doesn't look like they sell just SC with only the Procal tune. :( I want to reuse my CAI, since it's the same one as what comes with the kit.

They either have the full kit (SC, CAI and tune), just the SC (without CAI & tune) or the SC (without CAI & tune) with a 72mm pulley. :confused::headscratch:

I have the Procal with the CAI tune and TVS tune. You have to see if you can register it with your cars serial number. If you can do that, let me know!! Or just buy the whole kit....

Damn, it doesn't look like they sell just SC with only the Procal tune. :( I want to reuse my CAI, since it's the same one as what comes with the kit.

They either have the full kit (SC, CAI and tune), just the SC (without CAI & tune) or the SC (without CAI & tune) with a 72mm pulley. :confused::headscratch:

Captain, I originally had the FRPP/KR CAI kit but moved on to the FRPP/Whipple blower kit with ProCal tuner/tune. Now I have two tuners. Meh. It never hurts to have an extra.

And as to running the TVS with other than an optimized tune, why? The KR/FRPP CAI tune isn't the same as the tune that FRPP supplies with the ProCal. Dev Saberwal, Ford Racing's lead calibration engineer, developed the TVS tune for good reason, no?

Archived