TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GoPro camera

Thinking of plunking down the 3 bills for this "action" camcorder. What does the hive say about this item which I know nothing about ?

I've been thinking about one myself. There was a guy with one at a local HPDE last year and the video on his PC looked great! He had it mounted via suction cup on his roof a bit above his windshield. If I remember right, he said it takes a bit to get used to the controls and get it set initially, but otherwise he really liked it.

They make a pretty good movie. I almost bought one for the driving school last week but didn't think I'd be able to mount it. Turned out the Formula Mazdas all had the mount already on the car. They rented the camera for the day but you had to buy your own flash card.

I have one. The comment about the set up and the controls is correct - kind of tricky until you get used to it all. Product is rock steady on your car. If you look at my signature photos, the one where I am busy spinning out specifically, you can see the camera on my windshield, passenger side up high. Wind noise is a bit of a problem but video quality is great.

Jim

I have one. The comment about the set up and the controls is correct - kind of tricky until you get used to it all. Product is rock steady on your car. If you look at my signature photos, the one where I am busy spinning out specifically, you can see the camera on my windshield, passenger side up high. Wind noise is a bit of a problem but video quality is great.

Jim

+1

I'm still trying to figure out how to improve sound.

Just got one a few weeks ago! GoPro HD Motorsports. Still experimenting with various locations and configurations, but it shoots good video and does time lapse too!

Here's one of my tests:

To cut down on wind noise, the instructions say to use the "waterproof" back on the case. In the above video, the camera was mounted inside the car with the windows open and noise was reduced until I got above 60 mph. I've mounted it outside on the windshield with the "open" back case and the wind noise was definitely an issue.

What is really needed is an exterior microphone jack to allow you to put the microphone in a wind-protected area. (I have this on my regular video camera, but vibration kills the picture quality)

I'll have some more video after my journey to Sebring later this month.

Sam

I just thought of another use. This would be great (in the waterproof housing) to record going through the rapids. I'm sure I could come up with a mount. The rafts have a holder for an umbrella so the umbrella post is probably the place :).

(I was scheduled for a Grand Canyon rafting trip this fall but the original trip owner isn't going to be able to make it. I'm doing my darndest to pick it up. If anyone is interested in pooling lottery points for a 31-Aug put in PM me. Outfitter arrangements are ready. We will go with PRO - no private boats. been there done that doesn't work out well.)

I just thought of another use. This would be great (in the waterproof housing) to record going through the rapids. I'm sure I could come up with a mount. The rafts have a holder for an umbrella so the umbrella post is probably the place :).

(I was scheduled for a Grand Canyon rafting trip this fall but the original trip owner isn't going to be able to make it. I'm doing my darndest to pick it up. If anyone is interested in pooling lottery points for a 31-Aug put in PM me. Outfitter arrangements are ready. We will go with PRO - no private boats. been there done that doesn't work out well.)

That would be cool Tony. Hope you can pool the trip together. Marji and I rafted down the Nenana River in Alaska a few years ago, what a blast.

I bought the 'Cruise Cam' camera mount that attaches to the headrest posts. The mount is great, but my Kodak Zi8 camera has a fair amount of wiggle. I used it for the first time last weekend on the way to a Mustang show, so I still have some tinkering to do in an attempt to get the quality better. I'm not sure it's going to get much better though. One thing I didn't do was use zoom, so you end up seeing the dash and rearview mirror.

My wife was in the passenger seat, so any movement would have transferred to the camera. Unfortunately my passenger seat has some kind of rattle so it isn't solid (or quiet) when no one is in it either. The camera is a pain to start and stop recording, as you have to reach around behind it to hit the buttons. They do make a remote for the camera, which would be a good thing to get.

Compilation movie of the 5 short videos I took, and yes we were going painfully slow:

I bought the 'Cruise Cam' camera mount that attaches to the headrest posts. The mount is great, but my Kodak Zi8 camera has a fair amount of wiggle. I used it for the first time last weekend on the way to a Mustang show, so I still have some tinkering to do in an attempt to get the quality better. I'm not sure it's going to get much better though. One thing I didn't do was use zoom, so you end up seeing the dash and rearview mirror.

My wife was in the passenger seat, so any movement would have transferred to the camera. Unfortunately my passenger seat has some kind of rattle so it isn't solid (or quiet) when no one is in it either. The camera is a pain to start and stop recording, as you have to reach around behind it to hit the buttons. They do make a remote for the camera, which would be a good thing to get.

Compilation movie of the 5 short videos I took, and yes we were going painfully slow:

I kept waiting for the hammer to come down .... never happened.

I tried the headrest mount with my regular HD video camera and discovered the mount/seat is just not rigid enough. I ran bungee cords all over the place trying to stabilize the camera to no avail. With a passenger in the seat, it slightly dampens the vibrations, but not near enough! Every bump causes jiggles and blurs the video till it's almost un-watchable except at parade speeds and on the smoothest of surfaces. The GoPro mounts (especially the suction cup) are superior to my experiments so far, but I really would like to use my other video camera to get multiple shots/angles, so I will continue messing around till I come up with something to either totally isolate the camera from vibration or rigidly mount it and let quality suffer a bit.

My latest gadget was mounting a tripod head to a 6" piece of square, steel tubing. I bungee corded this to the headrests, child seat anchors, set-belts, and coat hooks, so that it essentially "floated" at head-height between the seats. It looked like a giant spider web in the back seat! Nearly zero vibration, but the g-forces caused some interesting "motion sickness inducing" oscillations, so it's back to the drawing board!

Sam

Great for Video, marginal for Audio.

Wind noise gets to be a factor quick in these cars, where you're usually never at a snail's pace.

Here's a Track Vid outside the windshield:

Inside the windshield (much better audio):

I love mine, so I bought two more cameras and the 3D link and case, took it to our event last week in Pocono, and it must have been a real hit, because it was gone by the end of the day. :angry22: Im not sure if I took it out and left it somewhere, or it got snagged, but Im a little bummed about it. The next one I will definitely not be so careless with.

Great for Video, marginal for Audio.

Wind noise gets to be a factor quick in these cars, where you're usually never at a snail's pace.

Here's a Track Vid outside the windshield:

Inside the windshield (much better audio):

How did you have the camera mounted on the inside? Was it by suction cup or by a mount on one of your seats? Thanks.

Jim

How did you have the camera mounted on the inside? Was it by suction cup or by a mount on one of your seats? Thanks.

Jim

I use the adhesive clip mounts. The clip is stuck right next to the base of the rear view mirror both inside and out. The camera clips in and out of these mounts, and they are pretty low key when not in use.

Thinking of plunking down the 3 bills for this "action" camcorder. What does the hive say about this item which I know nothing about ?

I believe I saw a couple on Ebay for really good "Buy It Now" Prices.

I use the adhesive clip mounts. The clip is stuck right next to the base of the rear view mirror both inside and out. The camera clips in and out of these mounts, and they are pretty low key when not in use.

Outside adhesive mount doesn't interfere with wipers? Of course, if you don't drive in the rain, it doesn't matter!

Sam

I love mine, so I bought two more cameras and the 3D link and case, took it to our event last week in Pocono, and it must have been a real hit, because it was gone by the end of the day. :angry22: Im not sure if I took it out and left it somewhere, or it got snagged, but Im a little bummed about it. The next one I will definitely not be so careless with.

I tore the truck apart looking for it at the event. Then I got home and when I got everything out, the middle seats fold up real wierd, and there it was, wedged up under the seat in the hollow underneath....I was bummed, and couldnt beleive I was so careless, and am releived that I found it, since it was 700 bucks I would have been out with the two cameras and the 3D link I bought just last week. Unfortunately, I only have video from the north course on the first day for a short time. Wish I could have used it more now.happy%20feet.gif

Outside adhesive mount doesn't interfere with wipers? Of course, if you don't drive in the rain, it doesn't matter!

Sam

Just out of reach of the wipers. I've done track events in the rain, but unfortunately didn't' stick my GoPro up front until it stopped. :(

I really like mine also. Because of the wide angle lense the still pictures are not all that great but it is a great little piece of equipment. Thay make a new add-on for it with a video screen so you can see EXACTLY where it is pointed. I haven't seen the 3D video yet, but imagine it is good as well.

The mounts are great also. I've seen the suction mount stay on a car at over 170MPH at Texas Mile this year! Don't know that I'd try that myself however. :hysterical:

• 2 months later...

I got mine from Amazon last night. I ordered the roll bar mount for two purposes - to mount it on the Cobra so I can get at least one video and to take on the Grand Canyon. The mounting system almost requires a roll bar radius to get it oriented correctly - there is no way to naturally align it at 90* without the camera body interfering with the mount and ultimately the pole. Try mounting it vertically on a post and see what I mean. After I get back I'm going to see if the Kirkham guys (they have a CNC machine) will make me up one of the mount posts that connect the camera from the mount to the camera with a 90* turn in it. That would work perfectly.

Fortunately I'm mounting it on an umbrella pole which splits so I'll just mount the roll bar mount on the very top of the post and align it that way. Then I realized that this might be directly behind me on the boat so I also ordered a chest harness. Hope I can extend the straps to fit over a life jacket. Don't want a head mount (we don't wear helmets) because I'm afraid it will get tossed overboard.

I haven't shot any video yet.

It never occurred to me that you're shooting blind - experiment with the beast before you try to use it. It has no viewer (except as a battery sucking accessory). I'll have to get comfortable with it.

Batteries are chargeable using a USB adapter. I bought a solar charger with USB so I can keep the GoPro and the GPS fed with electricity.

Batteries are chargeable using a USB adapter. I bought a solar charger with USB so I can keep the GoPro and the GPS fed with electricity.

The solar charger is a good idea and I have one to go with my "Go Pro Hero" which produces some good video. I got the "Power Monkey Explorer" solar charger and it works great with adapters for a lot of applications.

Amazon has them for$99.

Link

http://www.earthtech....com/p2588.html

Archived