TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Advance Trac disable

CMG

Having trouble with this. I have read the owners manual chart. Its easy to turn off traction control and I got that. The message center tells you it turned off and light on dash says off with one push of the button. How do I confirm that I have placed it in sport mode or Im in complete disabled mode. I get no indication on dash after I press button twice ; brakes applied for sport mode or pressed for 5 sec. and brakes applied. What am I missing?

Having trouble with this. I have read the owners manual chart. Its easy to turn off traction control and I got that. The message center tells you it turned off and light on dash says off with one push of the button. How do I confirm that I have placed it in sport mode or Im in complete disabled mode. I get no indication on dash after I press button twice ; brakes applied for sport mode or pressed for 5 sec. and brakes applied. What am I missing?

Tap the button twice in quick succession with the brake applied. The console should read "Advance Trac Sport Mode" or something similar. The Traction control "off" light should remain lit to inform you traction control is not "on".

Thanks. Im an idiot. I was starting with traction control already off.

For full off, start in full on. Stop. Hold brake. Hold button for 6+ seconds. Dash will read Advancetrac off which is ALL OF IT including traction control.

For full off, start in full on. Stop. Hold brake. Hold button for 6+ seconds. Dash will read Advancetrac off which is ALL OF IT including traction control.

Would also like to say it turns off Electronic Stability Control" (ESC). This is what helps to keep you from going sideways. In a car like this, I would be real careful. If you are going just doing straight line bursts then maybe consider but you are just going straight, right? Infact, unless you are an experienced drifter, I would advise against turning this off unless you are in a controlled environment.

The one thing about this car, it is one of the few that everything can still be turned off. I predict in the near future, that this won't be the case. Not even with high performance vehicles. Federal law requires ESC and TC to be on all vehicles now and while TC can still be disabled, because of specific situations, like stuck in snow, ESC won't have the ability to be turned off. I learned this with my '10 Fusion Hybrid.

Just to add one more thing, TC is usless on these cars. There is no way in HE!! the rear brakes will stop the back tires from spinning. I can light them up whenever I want and I never turn the TC off. BTW, mine is still OEM drivetrain!!! Power to spare...

With the 2010 and newer GT500's, you have 4 modes of Traction Control;

1). Default Mode = TC/ESC on

2). Click TC button once = TC Off

3). Double Cluck TC button = Sport Mode/Advance Track On

4). HOLD TC Button down until DIC informs you "Traction Control/Advance Trak OFF" (NO TC, ESC, etc.)

NOTE: On #4, some owners report having to hold the button for as long as 10 seconds, some report having to hold it for as little as 6 seconds. Mine is about 8 seconds (counting, one-one thousand, two-one thousand, etc.)

I used to love driving in Sport Mode but now with the much improved power of the Whipple 2.9, even the Sport Mode is too "intrusive" for my liking. *I* want to control my car, not my computer.

Phill

I just tried putting the car in sport mode while in motion......apparently it uses brake light power, because I just lightly pressed on brake while cruising along tapped the button twice and Voila! It entered sport mode. Cool.

Just to add one more thing, TC is usless on these cars. There is no way in HE!! the rear brakes will stop the back tires from spinning. I can light them up whenever I want and I never turn the TC off. BTW, mine is still OEM drivetrain!!! Power to spare...

+1

I have on numerous occasions gotten this car to kick the rear end sideways with traction control full on. The funny thing too is the traction control light doesnt even flash. I usually just back off the throttle and straighten it back up. Beginning to wonder if the TC even works.

+1

I have on numerous occasions gotten this car to kick the rear end sideways with traction control full on. The funny thing too is the traction control light doesnt even flash. I usually just back off the throttle and straighten it back up. Beginning to wonder if the TC even works.

I've never paid attention to see if the TC light comes on. My Fusion will if on gravel or ice. It doesn't have the power to make me keep my eyes on where I'm heading.

Don't rely on this traction control to save you from many accidents. It's very spotty and not strong enough. I have found that keeping it off and relying on my ability to let of the gas is the easiest way to keep it straight. These live axles snap right back after you let off the gas, just don't go red-lining it through corners and be cautious when it's wet or cold or do use the TC but realize it's very limited. If you ever launch your car with TC on be ready for a premature wear of the clutch.

Been thinking about T/C and how it works. Came to the conclusion that I'll turn the T/C off from now on because all it is doing is burning up the rear brakes. What a waste, Ford should have put more substantial systems on the back, like bigger rotors and/or upgraded calipers, due to the massive torque these put out and the brakes inability to do their job. The car is great and I wouldn't get rid of it easily however, the T/C is a waste,...

I tried that.....all I got was the T/C off light. Must be another way to turn everything off?

You're not waiting long enough.

Start the car and by default you will have the TC on.

Step on the brake and hold it down.

Push the TC button down and HOLD IT DOWN untill the dash shows Advance Track Off. NOT "Traction Control Off", but ADVANCE TRACK OFF.

Some take as few as 6 seconds, some take over 10 seconds....mine takes about 8 seconds (to turn it off).

Phill

You're not waiting long enough.

Start the car and by default you will have the TC on.

Step on the brake and hold it down.

Push the TC button down and HOLD IT DOWN untill the dash shows Advance Track Off. NOT "Traction Control Off", but ADVANCE TRACK OFF.

Some take as few as 6 seconds, some take over 10 seconds....mine takes about 8 seconds (to turn it off).

Phill

Curious....I swear it was over 10 seconds and nothing else changed. Maybe it's 15 seconds? The reason I want everthing off is for when I take it to the dragstrip. Hmmmm....maybe TC off is enough for the 'strip?

Now post 11 says the clutch and post 13 says the rear brakes wear with the TC on, which is it, or is it both ! :headscratch:

I don't see any way the clutch would be involved "automatically". The only way the clutch is operated is with the left foot. Now, he may be refering to "Manually' using the clutch to control wheel spin which will put a lot of wear and heat into the system. The rear brakes can be "Automatically" actuated to try to control wheel spin as well as anti lock and stability control (ESC). however, I have even less understanding on how ESC works to keep you from sliding.

Now post 11 says the clutch and post 13 says the rear brakes wear with the TC on, which is it, or is it both ! :headscratch:

The traction control works by comparing the front and rear wheel speeds to each other by using the wheel speed sensors to monitor each wheels speed.

If the rear wheels are indicating more wheel speed than the front wheels are, the PCM backs off the Throttle Plate (remember, it is a "fly by wire" throttle) until the wheel speeds equalize and corrolate with each other, then the PCM reapplies the throttle until it starts sensing wheel spin again and repeats if necessary.

The clutch is NOT used as part of any traction control system and the (rear) brakes are only applied in slow speed situations such as when one wheel is on ice/mud and spinning. If it backed off the throttle when you had one wheel on ice, it would just continue to back the throttle off until eventually the engine would die and you'd never be able to get the car unstuck or off of the ice/mud.

As it is, it applies brake to the spinning wheel which in turn transfers power to the other wheel that has traction (the one that isn't spinning), very much like the old "apply the parking brake" trick we used to use to get our cars unstuck when one wheel woud spin in mud, on ice or on grass.

Phill

The traction control works by comparing the front and rear wheel speeds to each other by using the wheel speed sensors to monitor each wheels speed.

If the rear wheels are indicating more wheel speed than the front wheels are, the PCM backs off the Throttle Plate (remember, it is a "fly by wire" throttle) until the wheel speeds equalize and corrolate with each other, then the PCM reapplies the throttle until it starts sensing wheel spin again and repeats if necessary.

The clutch is NOT used as part of any traction control system and the (rear) brakes are only applied in slow speed situations such as when one wheel is on ice/mud and spinning. If it backed off the throttle when you had one wheel on ice, it would just continue to back the throttle off until eventually the engine would die and you'd never be able to get the car unstuck or off of the ice/mud.

As it is, it applies brake to the spinning wheel which in turn transfers power to the other wheel that has traction (the one that isn't spinning), very much like the old "apply the parking brake" trick we used to use to get our cars unstuck when one wheel woud spin in mud, on ice or on grass.

Phill

Phil, are you saying that the system is actually a "launch control"?

Curious....I swear it was over 10 seconds and nothing else changed. Maybe it's 15 seconds? The reason I want everthing off is for when I take it to the dragstrip. Hmmmm....maybe TC off is enough for the 'strip?

Just turn TC off at track..leave Advance Trac ON. Your tires will spin, burnout not an issue, etc. What it will do is help you recover if you break loose in 2nd, 3rd and in my case even 4th.

Advance Trac = ESC ...Computer measures wheel spin, yaw rate, and a bunch of other stuff and if an excess of yaw (lets say ass is sliding out to the left on you going down the 1/4) the computer will (in fractions of miliseconds) adjust power as needed to maintain/regain acceptable rates. this should keep you out of the wall. I've got about 40+ runs on this car so far always with TC OFF and Advance Trac ON, and I'm convinced it and some pretty decent driving has kept me off the flatbed wrecker a few times.

Just turn TC off at track..leave Advance Trac ON. Your tires will spin, burnout not an issue, etc. What it will do is help you recover if you break loose in 2nd, 3rd and in my case even 4th.

Advance Trac = ESC ...Computer measures wheel spin, yaw rate, and a bunch of other stuff and if an excess of yaw (lets say ass is sliding out to the left on you going down the 1/4) the computer will (in fractions of miliseconds) adjust power as needed to maintain/regain acceptable rates. this should keep you out of the wall. I've got about 40+ runs on this car so far always with TC OFF and Advance Trac ON, and I'm convinced it and some pretty decent driving has kept me off the flatbed wrecker a few times.

Over 40 passes? What kind of suspension/driveline setup do you use? Slicks? How do think your rear differential and axles are holding up? Any clutch isues? Do you think you are losing any ET by leaving Advance Trac on? Sorry about all the questions.....I'm getting my Shelby ready for some 'strip duty.

Over 40 passes? What kind of suspension/driveline setup do you use? Slicks? How do think your rear differential and axles are holding up? Any clutch isues? Do you think you are losing any ET by leaving Advance Trac on? Sorry about all the questions.....I'm getting my Shelby ready for some 'strip duty.

well over 40...16 of those were on the same day. Stock SVTPP tires (still not close to wear bars). No issues with slipping or noise or anything so far, as long as I'm not jinxing myself by writing this write now. My best time so far with the TVS and street tires is a 12.03 at 129...There is a car exactly like mine ( i mean, down to the color) with just some M/Ts with less HP than I'm running pulling 10.7s so I know its a ten second car power wise. I drove it down the track one time without any thing turned on and almost went in the wall on the 3-4 shift. It was a cool day (around 60) and the car just has too much torque even at that gear for me to turn advance trac off.

I don't think having advance trac on and traction control off affects ET at all. Advance trac only activates when your not going in a straight line.

well over 40...16 of those were on the same day. Stock SVTPP tires (still not close to wear bars). No issues with slipping or noise or anything so far, as long as I'm not jinxing myself by writing this write now. My best time so far with the TVS and street tires is a 12.03 at 129...There is a car exactly like mine ( i mean, down to the color) with just some M/Ts with less HP than I'm running pulling 10.7s so I know its a ten second car power wise. I drove it down the track one time without any thing turned on and almost went in the wall on the 3-4 shift. It was a cool day (around 60) and the car just has too much torque even at that gear for me to turn advance trac off.

I don't think having advance trac on and traction control off affects ET at all. Advance trac only activates when your not going in a straight line.

Yeah, I imagine that if slicks are being used, you probably could turn everything off and it would be fine. I guess I'll find out fairly soon.

Archived