TEAM SHELBY FORUM

5% Oil life only after 3K miles

My 2010 GT500 says 5% oil life at ~3K miles. Has any one else experienced this? It's done it twice to me (at the 6 month and 1 year since I've owned my car). I don't drive my car that hard and I wasn't aware that oil has an expiration date. Any insight? Are their sensors measure the oils viscosity/pressure?

My 2010 GT500 says 5% oil life at ~3K miles. Has any one else experienced this? It's done it twice to me (at the 6 month and 1 year since I've owned my car). I don't drive my car that hard and I wasn't aware that oil has an expiration date. Any insight? Are their sensors measure the oils viscosity/pressure?

it works by mileage vs time vs key cycles since the last time it was reset- if the car is sitting alot or taking short trips or both, that will affect the life of the oil.

Thats why it shows 5% left- time to change it. It`s not just about miles travelled- it`s also about time and how the vehicle is being used-

The other to check is when you get the oil changed that they set it up for 100%. I have had my oil changed by the dealer in my pickup and the dealer didn't reset it to 100%, but set it for less 80%. But also keep in mind that the distance for oil changed is XXXX Miles or 6 months. The owner’s manual says 7500 miles, but I still know people who change their oil every 3000 miles or 6 months.

Please keep in mind that cars are designed to be driven and not sitting. I have a friend who had a Porsche Boxster and had to get the gasket on the oil pan changed. The dealer told him it was because he didn’t drive the car enough, this was at the 18 month mark and he only had 1500 miles on it. YES, it was a garage queen.

The first time I took it to the ford dealer they said I didn't need to change to oil so soon but I didn't trust them. But it got me thinking. I drive it everyday but my commute isn't that far. I'll have to arrange for a few more road trips. Thanks for the feedback!!

it works by mileage vs time vs key cycles since the last time it was reset- if the car is sitting alot or taking short trips or both, that will affect the life of the oil.

Thats why it shows 5% left- time to change it. It`s not just about miles travelled- it`s also about time and how the vehicle is being used-

I am sure it takes more than just that into account. The oil-life monitor in my car takes into account how many revolutions the engine makes, engine load, operating temperature, start up temperature, soak times, ambient, coolant temperature, and a lot of other stuff. I am willing to bet that Ford uses a similar algorithm that takes a host of factors into account.

The first time I took it to the ford dealer they said I didn't need to change to oil so soon but I didn't trust them. But it got me thinking. I drive it everyday but my commute isn't that far. I'll have to arrange for a few more road trips. Thanks for the feedback!!

I had the same thing happen to my 2010 and I called the dealer. He said to just reset it which I did. After that I check to see that it is set to 100% after an oil change because I think the dealer set it to less to make you come in more often. With the synthetic oil I dont believe that it would need to be changed sooner than the 7500 miles. I do try to drive it a couple time a month and have 9700 since Oct. 09. JMO

You can reset the percentage yourself. Just log when you have the oil changed and use your best judgement. Very year if you do not drive it much and a minimum of every 7.5k if you do.

Rudy

I had the same thing happen to my 2010 and I called the dealer. He said to just reset it which I did. After that I check to see that it is set to 100% after an oil change because I think the dealer set it to less to make you come in more often. With the synthetic oil I dont believe that it would need to be changed sooner than the 7500 miles. I do try to drive it a couple time a month and have 9700 since Oct. 09. JMO

I had the same issue and my dealer said the same thing, reset it. However, keep in mind the milage and DATE. Regardless of milage, Synthetic oil needs to be changed atleast annually.

I had the same issue and my dealer said the same thing, reset it. However, keep in mind the milage and DATE. Regardless of milage, Synthetic oil needs to be changed atleast annually.

+1

If you aren't putting enough miles on it to change it sooner than 1 year, then you aren't burning off the moisture in it before it has a chance to degrade the oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...I've been getting very concerned myself. I bought mine with 17xx miles on it and I have almost 2k miles on it since. It still says 100% and has for the last month with no change?? What gives?

You can reset the percentage yourself.

How can you reset it yourself? I don't know how I would be doing this on a regular basis, but this 100% for 2k miles doesn't make sense to me! Wondering if i'm resetting without knowing?

Hmmm...I've been getting very concerned myself. I bought mine with 17xx miles on it and I have almost 2k miles on it since. It still says 100% and has for the last month with no change?? What gives?

How can you reset it yourself? I don't know how I would be doing this on a regular basis, but this 100% for 2k miles doesn't make sense to me! Wondering if i'm resetting without knowing?

From the owners manual.

1. Press and release the SETUP

control to display “OIL LIFE =

XXX% HOLD RESET = NEW”.

2. Press and hold the RESET

control for two seconds and release.

Oil life is set to 100% and “OIL LIFE

SET TO 100%” is displayed.

3. While “OIL LIFE SET TO 100%”

is displayed, if a lower oil life start

value is desired, press and release the RESET control to reduce the start

value. Each press of the RESET control reduces the value by 10 percent.

Note: Oil life start value of 100% equals 7,500 miles (12,000 km) or six

months. For example, setting oil life start value to 60% sets the oil life

start value to 4,500 miles (7,200 km) and 108 days.

Archived