TEAM SHELBY FORUM

codes p2104 and p2101

JPEAJV

The other day after I really got on it the car it has been idling a bit funny. Then today under normal driving conditions the throttle got stuck a 3k rpms then lowered to about 1,250 and stayed there for awhile. That led to throwing the car into limp mode and throwing 2 codes. I have an L&M TB and was wondering if maybe that could be it? The car was retuned with the L&M on it. Could it be something in the tune? I also should mention that I checked all connections and they are tight.

code p2104: Throttle actuator forced idle

code p2101: Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit Range/Performance ...

Any help would be great.

Justin

Kind of sounds like the TB motor got stuck a few times, resulting in the limp mode. Aren't electronic TBs fun?... not. It could definitely be the aftermarket TB, especially since they use different internal gears, delrin vs brass I believe.

First thing to check is the wiring and connector to the TB, then you could check the actual movement of the throttle plates.

I took off the inlet and watch the throttle blades move and everything was ok. This morning I threw new codes. P2104 and P2111. Had no throttle movement at all now. Shut it off restarted and was temporarily ok. This sucks.

This is just a shogtun blast here, but it seems that this issue occurred after you went full throttle. Could it be that the resistance values of the aftermarket TB are different than the OEM TB? The computer has a set of parameters and if the values go outside that range, it would freak out and go into limp mode, or cause a no start condition. You could backprobe which ever wire is the return wire, or voltage sensing wire, and watch the voltage drop with the TB working. Note the votlage at each end. However, I don't have acceptable range. A Ford electronics service manual will have it, OR become buddies with a Ford tech and borrow his IDS.

A much easier thing to check, is to verify continuity from the TB to the computer. You can use an ohmmeter or a tone device to check that.

Keep at it!

The other day after I really got on it the car it has been idling a bit funny. Then today under normal driving conditions the throttle got stuck a 3k rpms then lowered to about 1,250 and stayed there for awhile. That led to throwing the car into limp mode and throwing 2 codes. I have an L&M TB and was wondering if maybe that could be it? The car was retuned with the L&M on it. Could it be something in the tune? I also should mention that I checked all connections and they are tight.

Did you clear/reset the Adaptive Stratigy memory after you installed the new throttle body?

On a Ford EEC system, you MUST clear the AS whenever you replace ANY input sensor. And the TB has a TPS (i.e. "input" sensor) on it so as far as the PCM is concerned, the old TPS just had a major change to it's parameters..

Phill

Did you clear/reset the Adaptive Stratigy memory after you installed the new throttle body?

On a Ford EEC system, you MUST clear the AS whenever you replace ANY input sensor. And the TB has a TPS (i.e. "input" sensor) on it so as far as the PCM is concerned, the old TPS just had a major change to it's parameters..

Phill

I had the car retuned on a dyno when the tb was installed. That should have had it reset? Today I reloaded the tune and its fine. I was told it was in the tune and seems like it is. I was also told that when I hit the rev limiter its possible that the tune was not perfect at that rpm, therefore sending the computer constantly looking for problems. Either way its ok now with the tune reloaded. I don't trust the tune now. Jim LaRocca sent me a new tune. I will try that and have it tweaked on the dyno to perfect the a/f ratio.

Phill

Phill,

Can you explain how to reset the AS? I also have the L&M TB and it throws the same codes.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Archived