TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Whipple 550HO install complete

07SGT5687

So I finally got the car done last night. Turned the key and fired right off with no known issues. Took her for the inaugural "spin" and was quite impressed. Only hit about half throttle as I'm still a bit leary of unleashing that much power on my "poor baby"... give me about a week and that will be gone!

I'm a bit disappointed that due to some misinformation, my car will now never carry the GT/SC registration, but so be it. Just goes to show, careful who you get your information from. So my rig will for always just be a sleeper I guess. I was especially disappointed when I saw how LITTLE the mod shops are charging for the installs (and then "SC" registration) these days. After all the tools I bought for the job, it would have been cheaper to just have SAI do the car and I'd have an "GT/SC".

All that said, I was pretty dang impressed last night with the lay back power and I only really got into it about half throttle. Plus I ran into a problem with a rear brake caliper hanging up so I really didn't "get after it". That WHINE sure is a bad ass sound though. That said, it is going to take some getting used to. I'd been used to just exhaust sound for so long, I'm going to have to get used to the new "voice".

**Question, is a rapid subtle clicking/tapping noise normal at idle? I'm VERY VERY... well, what's the word... I guess paranoid!... about engine "noises" and while everything appears to be running fine, I just thought I'd ask if that is normal. Pardon my ignorance.

As for the ease of the install, I'd give it about and Intermediate/Advanced rating. Especially since the super fantastic Whipple manual... isn't as super fantastic as it used to be, although it was still pretty damn good. I ran into numerous areas that have since changed or came with parts that were not spoken off. I had to bug a guy at Whipple for about 5 days on and off to get clarifications on numerous directions. Glad I asked too as the manual didn't accurately cover a hand full of recent changes to the install.

On that note, I marked up my manual with any/all modification or variations I had to do to circumnavigate the incorrect spots int he manual. If anyone does an install soon and the manual is not updated (think my said it was updated in April 2009), PM or get a hold of me and I'll relay the notes I have for what needed to be altered. You may be able to figure it out yourself, but my simple brain needed help!

A SPECIAL thanks to Steve-o-500 for helping me out for 3 days to get her all done, get the engine bay nice and trimmed up clean and showing me how REAL soldering is done. Just goes to show, if you want to know how to do something right... enlist the help of an Air Force Mechanic!... no pun intended. Thanks Steve, couldn't have done it (with out going insane) without ya! :beerchug:

Here are some pics from along the way, more to come, but THAR SHE BE! I didn't think that Billet Radiator cap would fit under there, but it appears to fit just fine. Those hoods have more arch to them than they look! Not terribly impressed with the Moroso tanks, but I'm hoping M-H racing will do "THE TANK" for the SGT's soon. I'm workin' on em'! ;)

d19395b5.jpg

f3a296fa.jpg7990c7ba.jpg

THEN

74436ac2.jpg

NOW

DSC00724.jpg

DSC00723.jpg

DSC00722.jpg

ALMOST DONE!

425f2395.jpg

VIOLA!!

1faa1c17.jpg

SORRY FOR THE CRAPPY FINAL SHOT. CAMERA PHONE IN A DARK GARAGE! I'LL UPDATE IT WITH BETTER PICS LATER.

Helps BIG TIME with the belt slip that slim rib pulley has from Whipple. I ran it for about 3 years with no slip ever. At 13-15 PSI, its spins quick bro.

That looks pretty cool, but I think I'll wait until I start to experience some belt slippage before I drop that $1400. Spent enough money lately.

BTW, is that your car in your sig? What brand and offset of wheels are those? And what setup is that that's trying to escape through the hole in your hood?!

That looks pretty cool, but I think I'll wait until I start to experience some belt slippage before I drop that $1400. Spent enough money lately.

BTW, is that your car in your sig? What brand and offset of wheels are those? And what setup is that that's trying to escape through the hole in your hood?!

I totally understand bro. Just make sure you carry an extra belt or 3....I learned the hard way with the 550. The car my sig is my latest and greatest (besides the GT500 of course :) )

The wheels are Boyd's new Pro-Touring model wheels. They are 20x10 all around with 3.75 backspacing ( old school reversed deep style) that are widebody fitment

This car is home of the S197 "L" swap. We put the 2003 Ford Lightning SC 5.4 motor in there, fully polished blower/plenum, brigde and Metco bracket and idlers..

I totally understand bro. Just make sure you carry an extra belt or 3....I learned the hard way with the 550. The car my sig is my latest and greatest (besides the GT500 of course :) )

The wheels are Boyd's new Pro-Touring model wheels. They are 20x10 all around with 3.75 backspacing ( old school reversed deep style) that are widebody fitment

This car is home of the S197 "L" swap. We put the 2003 Ford Lightning SC 5.4 motor in there, fully polished blower/plenum, brigde and Metco bracket and idlers..

GULP... WOW! PICS OR BAN!!! :happy feet:

GULP... WOW! PICS OR BAN!!! :happy feet:

LOL, didn't really plan on posting cause of the Shelby type forum....the car is actually a 2006 Saleen S281 that I've owned since new...modded the hell out of and here we are.

Maybe I'll throw up a lil thread to grant your request (plus I wont be postin all over ur thread too, you know)

Your install looks great and enjoy the hell out of it. I personally have over 3,000 miles with no belt slippage issues ever ; and that includes 4 drag strip runs and 1 episode of Pinks All Out ; where i won the 11 second class. So enjoy !!! :happy feet:

Scotty

Thank you sir! So far, all is well with the install. Threw some misfire codes last night, but I was a little aggressive while under 1/4 of gas. I'm told now that that is a no-no. I'll keep an eye out, but I think that's what threw the codes.

Here is a better shot of the final product. Better than the original camera phone shots.

DSC00787.jpg

DSC00789.jpgDSC00799.jpgDSC00795.jpg

Archived