TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Leaving Impressions

Leaving an impression...........what do you think?

I remember growing up as a kid and seeing my Dad's '60 Impala that he put a 409 in. He gutted the interior and went drag racing in that tank. His best time was 11:20's in the 1/4 mile. That was damn fast back in the day.

The thing about that car was the noise, and exhaust smell. When he started it up, kids from all over ran over to look and marvel at it. As for me, while holding my young tender ears, was the sweet exhaust smell. That smell would be something I would never forget. That car made a lasting impression on me, and to this day, when I see a '60 Impala, I think back to Dad's car. When I get a hint of cam2 burning, it brings me right back to that old loud car in the garage.

Fast forward 35 years and now, when this old man goes into the garage and fires up the '09 KR, my kid comes running ! I now get it.......he's getting the impression that I got 35 years ago. When I slowly roll through the neighborhood, kids seem to stop what they're doing and just stare. This car is making an impression on those kids as well. Those kids, the future "car guys".

Nicely written story Fia. Thanks for sharing.

My mom and dad were shocked when I bought the KR. After about a year, it came up over beers on their back patio. I said....well....blame Dad...not me! And told them ever since he bought that '64.5 mustang home as his commute car to JFK airport, I was in love with mustangs. A shocked silence.

I think they completely forgot about the impressions parents make on their kids. And most of all, that they had ANY impression on me at all!

+1 Fia. I totally get it. It seems that oftentimes when I'm around my Dad or Father-in-law that the conversation will lean toward the cars that they had when they were younger and how they had wished they still had. I've heard this for years and I think that had alot of influence on me wanting to hand something down to my boys one of these days. This car is the only one that either has ever shown much interest in and I've had a bunch. Everyone always grins when I hit that ignition key!!

Great story....and yep, my 18 year old was converted the same way. It started many cars ago, was really cemented in him with the 70 mach 1 and punctuated by the late models. He is a car guy through and through and there are defining moments like those that you all have described that will stay with us forever.

Great story Joe. I remember the hot rods of the 60's and very early 70's when i was young. The note of the exhaust, the rattling/ shaking of the sound, the smell, and that wicked loping of the cam!! When we see the kids at the car shows, we should talk to them about our car. It may leave an impression.

• 1 month later...

For me it started in 1967 when my father purchased a 1967 GT-A Fastback (in Lime Gold...which is the lime green) with a K-code 271hp 289.

He was involved with car clubs back then, with various rallyes, picnics, parades etc....here is a pic of me at the impressionable age of 8 years old in 1970 standing in front of a 1969 GT350 just prior to a parade we were involved in. My fathers car is back in the pack...

GT350_parade.jpg

Leaving an impression...........what do you think?

I remember growing up as a kid and seeing my Dad's '60 Impala that he put a 409 in. He gutted the interior and went drag racing in that tank. His best time was 11:20's in the 1/4 mile. That was damn fast back in the day.

The thing about that car was the noise, and exhaust smell. When he started it up, kids from all over ran over to look and marvel at it. As for me, while holding my young tender ears, was the sweet exhaust smell. That smell would be something I would never forget. That car made a lasting impression on me, and to this day, when I see a '60 Impala, I think back to Dad's car. When I get a hint of cam2 burning, it brings me right back to that old loud car in the garage.

Fast forward 35 years and now, when this old man goes into the garage and fires up the '09 KR, my kid comes running ! I now get it.......he's getting the impression that I got 35 years ago. When I slowly roll through the neighborhood, kids seem to stop what they're doing and just stare. This car is making an impression on those kids as well. Those kids, the future "car guys".

Could not have said it better!!!!

Archived