TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Messing around

:shift::shift::headscratch: I ordered my '11 350 (CSM #52) with the vinyl strips. If I decide to have those removed and have the stripes painted on, will that affect the value of the car in any way?

SORRY...I should have been clearer. The car was delivered in December, WITH vinyl stripes. I am thinking of having a local shop remove them and painting the stripes on. As this is not 'original', will the value of the car be affected. Thank you for all your comments

:headscratch: I ordered my '11 350 (CSM #52) with the vinyl strips. If I decide to have those removed and have the stripes painted on, will that affect the value of the car in any way?

No, it doesnt matter if you have vinyl or painted stripes. They both have pro's and con's. I went with vinyl on my car because its cheaper and can be fixed faster if It ever needs to be replaced. My 350 (csm#49) will be done in a week or two, I'll let you know how the vinyl looks.

Kris

:headscratch: I ordered my '11 350 (CSM #52) with the vinyl strips. If I decide to have those removed and have the stripes painted on, will that affect the value of the car in any way?

No, it doesnt matter if you have vinyl or painted stripes. They both have pro's and con's. I went with vinyl on my car because its cheaper and can be fixed faster if It ever needs to be replaced. My 350 (csm#49) will be done in a week or two, I'll let you know how the vinyl looks.

Kris

Are you talking value in 3 years or value in 30 years? In either case, it depends on how the car is kept (sun, rain, exposure in general), and thus how your car appears down the road. IMO, your best long term choice is paint.

Either way you can't go wrong. Can always switch to paint at any point as you are considering. Making the switch shouldn't effect the value. What a lot of collectors like down the road is original paint (and original everything as far as that goes), so how your vehicle holds up over all (how you keep the vehicle) will probably be more important consideration than the stripes being vinyl or paint.

Since you want paint, if you can afford it, is it too late to make the switch? have they already applied the vinyl striping?

Are you talking value in 3 years or value in 30 years? In either case, it depends on how the car is kept (sun, rain, exposure in general), and thus how your car appears down the road. IMO, your best long term choice is paint.

Either way you can't go wrong. Can always switch to paint at any point as you are considering. Making the switch shouldn't effect the value. What a lot of collectors like down the road is original paint (and original everything as far as that goes), so how your vehicle holds up over all (how you keep the vehicle) will probably be more important consideration than the stripes being vinyl or paint.

Since you want paint, if you can afford it, is it too late to make the switch? have they already applied the vinyl striping?

Vinyl stripes must not be to bad, because all of the 12 350's will have vinyl. SA said that the painted stripes have been very difficult to complete.

Just a few things to remember here. Vinyl is not meant to be permanent; expect to replace them approx. every 5 years IF the car is driving daily. Paint is permanent, but is much more costly to fix. However, if you did to get them painted on later, be sure to have a shop that can paint stripes on your car- they're not perfectly straight due to the curvature of the panels.

The big difference when I was considering the GT350 build, was that the vinyl stripes don't go all the way down on the back- looks odd to me.

Vinyl stripes must not be to bad, because all of the 12 350's will have vinyl. SA said that the painted stripes have been very difficult to complete.

In looking at the SA site regarding ordering the 2012 Shelby GT350, the "build your own" section still offers the painted stripes, either full or partial, in addition to the vinyl stripes.

In looking at the SA site regarding ordering the 2012 Shelby GT350, the "build your own" section still offers the painted stripes, either full or partial, in addition to the vinyl stripes.

About a month ago, I asked Roger if painted stripes were still an option and he said "yes". It's also on one of the threads in this section. I believe they are still available unless something has changed in the last few days.

This is just my $.02 worth.......

If you are going to drive it home, park it, and zip it up like Grabber does his, but NEVER drive it and time capsule it...LEAVE the tape. For a time capsule investment grade quality car, the car's options should match the build sheet and window sticker to a tee!!

Now...devil's advocate: If you are going to drive it and put excessive miles on it and enjoy it like it was built to be...paint will keep you from stewing about the damn stripe! The sun and UV rays wreak havoc on tape stripes. Plain and simple. :superhero:

EDIT- The Georgia sun is horrible!

If you are going to drive it home, park it, and zip it up like Grabber does his, but NEVER drive it and time capsule it...LEAVE the tape. For a time capsule investment grade quality car, the car's options should match the build sheet and window sticker to a tee!!

Now...devil's advocate: If you are going to drive it and put excessive miles on it and enjoy it like it was built to be...paint will keep you from stewing about the damn stripe! The sun and UV rays wreak havoc on tape stripes. Plain and simple. :superhero:

I've never owned a car with vinyl stripes until the 350. I bet waxing the car will be a real job. I should have ordered painted stripes after hearing everyones take on this topic.

Basically what it boils down too, leave the vinyl on as long as it looks good (3 years or 30 years), and switch to painted stripes when/if the need arrives. I do agree that a 30 plus year vehicle with original, fabulous vinyl stripes would be quite the bragging point, but then realistically how likely is that to be the case?

Archived