TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Mod Bug keeps biting

iceman

I finally found a FAST vehicle to play with last night when out for an 8pm cruise with my neighbor. Still light out at 8pm because of the wonderful gov. Daniels putting us on Eastern time (another story there - and a vote I'll never get back....or make again). We still had the top down after reaching an 80 degree high and having clear sunny skies all day. As we came to a light I looked in my rear view mirror to find on the rear bumber a black sport bike with a guy dressed in all leather driving it. We moved ahead of the truck next to us as the light turned green so the bike could come up next to us at the next light which happened to be the last on for a long while on a quiet section of SR 37N. At the light I saw he was riding a nice GSXR - all black with some silver highlights. Clearly not stock and fully set up to really run. I knew that there was no way I could hang with this guy - especially with 2 guys in the car and the little one being 250 :)

He was cool and we talked at the light. He commented on how you didn't see to many of those cars out and asked if I'd be willing to show him what it could do. I said sure - when you hit about 90 or 100 stay there and see if I can catch you ;) The bike was a lot like this but with out the asian symbol and other silver stuff on it: http://www.bikebros.co.jp/images/wallpaper...usa_01_1024.jpg

We took off and he was gone in a flash. I actually had TC on for the launch and had a nice jump at the line too. Then I hit second hard and then third. He was in front of me by about 8 car lengths as we hit 90-100 and I shifted to 4th and flew by him at 120-130 with the supercharger screaming. I let off and slowed to about 80 and he pulled back up with a big thumbs up and at the next light we went our seperate ways but it was good fun. Really nice to have a nice wide 2 lane road with no traffic and a wide median between oncoming traffic with that. I'm glad we didn't have to go much faster as that was about the limit for me on this road but what a feeling.

The thing that really stood out was how fast he took off from the line. Seeing that really made the mod bug come to life again. I must get some tires and rims. Susp. work too and the roll bar. Once all that is done I can talk about power again but until I get that done the stage 2 is the limit for me. I will be looking for the TVS SC or Headers after that but man that was a fast bike. I hope he's thinking the same thing as I'm quite sure he's not run againse many cars that could stay remotely with him from 0-100....let alone a vert with nearly 600 pounds of passenger :)

We cruised for another hour or so but mostly just through local streets and car dealer parking lots looking at trucks as we're both in the market.

Fun times ahead this summer....starting my speeding ticket fund now.....and my rim/drag radial fund too.

MUST HAVE MORE MODS!!!!!

Good write up!

I'd REALLY like to hear from the guy in the back seat and how he felt about doing 130 with the top down!

Not me, Daddy! :redcard:

He was not in the back seat. He was in the passenger side. He was the one egging me on for more. Todd (My Neighbor) is restoring his 1971 Mustang and turning it into a beast. He's a car junkie and was the only one as excited about me getting this as I was. He was calling me about every 10 minutes on the way home from Cinci when i picked it up and was outside waiting when I got here. He's driven it a number of times and likes the speed/power too. In fact he's been to most of my Dyno runs to watch too.

As for Daddy - No way I would do this with my kids..... or really anyone else other than Todd who is constantly trying to get someone to play with me when we are out driving. I'll admit it likely wasn't the smartest move I've ever made....but it won't be the last and it wasn't the first time I have driven fast in this car. I try to do it with little traffic and on wider roads with no pedestrians though. Once I get my fix I'm good for a while....but riding in the backseat would have been an interesting thing as the wind all goes there - you feel nothing in the front :)

And as much as I know I shouldn't - I would do it again....I guess I'm a slow learner.

Awsum. Having never been in a Vert, good to hear that you don't get wind blown in the front seat. :banana piano:

I can always put the top up. :beerchug:

I like the idea of better tires and a tune too. :happy feet: What have you guys found? :headscratch:

Awsum. Having never been in a Vert, good to hear that you don't get wind blown in the front seat. :banana piano:

I can always put the top up. :beerchug:

I like the idea of better tires and a tune too. :happy feet: What have you guys found? :headscratch:

Chris

I took mine out for a shake down cruise the other day and had it up to 120 with the top down. Believe it or not it felt like about 85! Didn't stay there long though. Good thing I had the Shaker 1000. Even at high speed it still thumps.

Chris

I took mine out for a shake down cruise the other day and had it up to 120 with the top down. Believe it or not it felt like about 85! Didn't stay there long though. Good thing I had the Shaker 1000. Even at high speed it still thumps.

The Shaker 500 is adequate even at high speeds while topless. :banana piano:

I finally found a FAST vehicle to play with last night when out for an 8pm cruise with my neighbor. Still light out at 8pm because of the wonderful gov. Daniels putting us on Eastern time (another story there - and a vote I'll never get back....or make again). We still had the top down after reaching an 80 degree high and having clear sunny skies all day. As we came to a light I looked in my rear view mirror to find on the rear bumber a black sport bike with a guy dressed in all leather driving it. We moved ahead of the truck next to us as the light turned green so the bike could come up next to us at the next light which happened to be the last on for a long while on a quiet section of SR 37N. At the light I saw he was riding a nice GSXR - all black with some silver highlights. Clearly not stock and fully set up to really run. I knew that there was no way I could hang with this guy - especially with 2 guys in the car and the little one being 250 :)

He was cool and we talked at the light. He commented on how you didn't see to many of those cars out and asked if I'd be willing to show him what it could do. I said sure - when you hit about 90 or 100 stay there and see if I can catch you ;) The bike was a lot like this but with out the asian symbol and other silver stuff on it: http://www.bikebros.co.jp/images/wallpaper...usa_01_1024.jpg

We took off and he was gone in a flash. I actually had TC on for the launch and had a nice jump at the line too. Then I hit second hard and then third. He was in front of me by about 8 car lengths as we hit 90-100 and I shifted to 4th and flew by him at 120-130 with the supercharger screaming. I let off and slowed to about 80 and he pulled back up with a big thumbs up and at the next light we went our seperate ways but it was good fun. Really nice to have a nice wide 2 lane road with no traffic and a wide median between oncoming traffic with that. I'm glad we didn't have to go much faster as that was about the limit for me on this road but what a feeling.

The thing that really stood out was how fast he took off from the line. Seeing that really made the mod bug come to life again. I must get some tires and rims. Susp. work too and the roll bar. Once all that is done I can talk about power again but until I get that done the stage 2 is the limit for me. I will be looking for the TVS SC or Headers after that but man that was a fast bike. I hope he's thinking the same thing as I'm quite sure he's not run againse many cars that could stay remotely with him from 0-100....let alone a vert with nearly 600 pounds of passenger :)

We cruised for another hour or so but mostly just through local streets and car dealer parking lots looking at trucks as we're both in the market.

Fun times ahead this summer....starting my speeding ticket fund now.....and my rim/drag radial fund too.

MUST HAVE MORE MODS!!!!!

Great storey ICE, your mods should be more than enough for most cars. :rockon:

MUST HAVE MORE MODS!!!!!

black and silver? Was it a 600 cc?? Diff between the 600 and 1000 cc is alot after about 70-80 mph........both are very close in 0-60 as the 1000 can flip over easy and need to be more careful launching..........but after 70-80 mph, the 600 doesn't stand a chance. It's 95-105 rwhp vs 150-160 rwhp with weight almost identical with both bikes.

black and silver? Was it a 600 cc?? Diff between the 600 and 1000 cc is alot after about 70-80 mph........both are very close in 0-60 as the 1000 can flip over easy and need to be more careful launching..........but after 70-80 mph, the 600 doesn't stand a chance. It's 95-105 rwhp vs 150-160 rwhp with weight almost identical with both bikes.

I don't know. He had it so tricked out it was all I could do to find something that Said Suzuki on it. It was quick and a really sharp looking bike. I am fairly sure he knew how to ride pretty well too watching the way he moved on the bike and the full leathers etc. I had a few 600's when I was younger (CBR's) and this looked bigger than a 600 to me. It was a longer wheel base at a glance. It sat with the front lower than the rear too. I used to bungee cord mine doen when going out to race on the streets so I could get on it harder and not pop it up so easy but this was not rigged - it just sat that way. I think he let off at about 90 as we discussed so he could hear the SC as I went by. He clearly had a lot left in that thing.

Over the last several years, Suzuki's 600/750/1000 have near identical dimensions.....and weight within 5-10 lbs of each other............just an fyi. Wheelbases are within millimeters of each other so you won't be able to tell.

I know they are close - Suzuke even when the Katana was big was silly close and you could bolt in the big bike engine into the fram of a 600 with all the stickers and change sprockets etc and really make a mess of a person in a race if they thought you had a 600. The point is that what ever this one was the wheel base was extended. It was modded be it 600 or hyaboosa (SP?) it has the rear wheel out behind the bike as opposed to inder the back end....at least half of the wheel was not under the bike at all....and he took off like a bat outa hell. It was cool to see actually.

Archived