TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front end popping/groan, HELP

4KINGS

This may have been covered here before but here goes; 2010 front end poping pretty loud during slow turning, it's not the rear end added modifier to it anyway. I had the dealer look at it right after i got it they changed the strut mounts but it's still there. I think it's the struts, anyone else have this problem? I have the FR3 kit still in the boxes ready to install, but if the stock struts are bad should i have the dealer replace them first? I just don't trust the dealer anymore. Also if i put the FR3 struts on and it still makes the noise i may be screwed. :banghead:

Ah, I think I know the sound you're hearing. It's probably a power steering groan. Be sure the fluid level is good. If it is, you can may have some air in the pump. You can try to bleed out the air by running the rack lock to lock with the front wheels off the ground, KOEO. You should notice a little bit of foam, or bubbles, form. After about 20 times, let the fluid settle, put the car back down, and check the fluid level. Be advised that Ford power steering pumps are inherently noisy, and some moaning during operation is normal.

Would a video camera be able to record this?

There is a TSB for this issue. I had it on my 2010 and it ended up being repaired at the dealership, even though my car was built after the stated date in the TSB. Just make sure you take it to a GOOD service department and make sure they understand that your car is to be taken care of. I got mine back with no more front end noise, but an added 4" vertical dent on my driver's door that took me a total of 3 weeks to get fixed like it never happened.

This may have been covered here before but here goes; 2010 front end poping pretty loud during slow turning, it's not the rear end added modifier to it anyway. I had the dealer look at it right after i got it they changed the strut mounts but it's still there. I think it's the struts, anyone else have this problem? I have the FR3 kit still in the boxes ready to install, but if the stock struts are bad should i have the dealer replace them first? I just don't trust the dealer anymore. Also if i put the FR3 struts on and it still makes the noise i may be screwed. :banghead:

If the struts are bad, I would DEFINITLY have the dealer install new struts on it prior to putting the FR3 on. That way, you'll have a set of GOOD struts to put back on if you ever decide to put the car back to stock or it will give you a brand new set to sell and off-set the cost of the FR3 kit.

There was a TSB on a popping noise while hard turning at slow speeds (like when turning into a driveway) but I can't remember if the 2010 was covered by it. I believe it was the lower a-arm (rear) bushing that was making the noise but don't quote me on that.

"Grabber" is the TS "go to" guy for TSB's so if he doesn't chime in on this thread go hunt him down and ask him if he has the TSB available (I know he does). I'll look in my GT500 folder to see if I have it and if I do, I'll post it in a subsequent post.

EDIT: I looked in my folders, I do NOT have the TSB in question.

HTH,

Phill

Thank you to everyone for your help so far, i am trying to work with the dealer's service dept but i just don't trust them very much anymore. I brought it to them right after i got the car with this same issue. They kept the car two days put 30 miles on it and did nothing to it, they said they needed me to bring it back on another day so they could use something called chassis ears to narrow it down. That's what they said they were going to do the first time, but someone forgot about that, but they did'nt forget to take it for a 30 mile spin. that's why i have the trust issue. It's a small town i don't have many choices but i do need to get it fixed before the FR3 goes on. Thanks for all your help

• 4 weeks later...

Finally it's fixed, STRUT MOUNTS, again 2nd set. The strut mounts were replaced not long after i got it so i thought it must be something else like the steering rack cause thats kinda what it felt like. They said they changed them again, oh well this is how it should have been when i bought it. Makes you wonder though, original set and replacement set were bad? How long will these last?? Really tired of messing with this, i hope it's the last set.

Archived