TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Painted Stripes

For those who selected the painted stripe option, does this option include painting the stripes on the rocker panels or are they decals?

Painted stripes includes all stripes painted. Over the top and side stripes. Expensive, yes but IMHO worth every penny. Just looks right on these special cars.

Painted stripes includes all stripes painted. Over the top and side stripes. Expensive, yes but IMHO worth every penny. Just looks right on these special cars.

I couldn't agree more. I'm really happy I went with the painted stripes. Also, painting the stripes adds the option of going all the way down the rear fascia and choosing the 350 hood numbering.

John

If that is the case, I may have a hybrid stripe theme going on. The stripes are painted on the facias, hood, trunk & roof while it appears the side stripes are decals. I say this because there is no ridge going from the white to the stripes on these parts while I can feel the ridge between the paint & the side stripes or Shelby did not put any clearcoat over the side stripes.

If that is the case, I may have a hybrid stripe theme going on. The stripes are painted on the facias, hood, trunk & roof while it appears the side stripes are decals. I say this because there is no ridge going from the white to the stripes on these parts while I can feel the ridge between the paint & the side stripes or Shelby did not put any clearcoat over the side stripes.

I’m with you. I have painted stripes in the middle of my car. The sides feel like decals. I thought they should be painted at least that’s what I was informed of when I first ordered this option.

I picked up my car on Thursday and had the ``here`s your car`` delivery. I was surprised when I got home and saw that the side stripes arrear that they are decals not paint. It does seem that the painted side stripes are BS.

The left tailpipe is starting to fall after the 1500 mile drive home. I will give them a call on Monday. The drive home was great with alot of reactions from everyone that saw it including the Highway Patrol. I got a good picture

of the Shelby and Crown Vic............ The 350 performed perfectly and sems to cruise at 90 in 6th. The car is worth the 15 month wait.

Mark

Do your side stripes wrap into the wheel wells front and rear? That would be the place to check if they are decals. Mine wrap into the wheel wells. My painted side stripes are not perfect. There are obvious areas of imperfection that would not come with a die cut vinyl decals. I like it this way though.

I picked up my car on Thursday and had the ``here`s your car`` delivery. I was surprised when I got home and saw that the side stripes arrear that they are decals not paint. It does seem that the painted side stripes are BS.

The left tailpipe is starting to fall after the 1500 mile drive home. I will give them a call on Monday. The drive home was great with alot of reactions from everyone that saw it including the Highway Patrol. I got a good picture

of the Shelby and Crown Vic............ The 350 performed perfectly and sems to cruise at 90 in 6th. The car is worth the 15 month wait.

Mark

Mark,

Congrats on your car. Enjoy every minute. Be safe and enjoy the car. Would like your detailed review when you have time.

I again reviewed my order and it states “Painted over the top and side stripe kit” How could this get past their final inspection? I don’t mind paying the big bucks for it but at least deliver the car to me painted.

I guess we will have to ask Roger.

Hey guys, I already went through all the side stripe questions with SA. If you feel across them, you are positive they are decals, but they assured me they are painted. It is an effect of painting the stripes on the already painted body, they tape off the stencil, spray the blue, then retape a little larger section and spray a clearcoat or two. This gives it a noticeable ridge, but the alternative is clearcoating the entire car again, which isn't a realistic option. The reason you don't get that with the hood, fascias is because those entire pieces get the clearcoat after the blue stripe is painted on the whole piece. Hope that helps answer the question. If you need further proof, follow the end of the side stripes around into the wheel wells and you will see either a tape line with a slight bleedthrough at the very edges, or you will notice a slight fade on the blue stripe at the edges. Totally justified question though, I thought the same thing! :salute:

Hey guys, I already went through all the side stripe questions with SA. If you feel across them, you are positive they are decals, but they assured me they are painted. It is an effect of painting the stripes on the already painted body, they tape off the stencil, spray the blue, then retape a little larger section and spray a clearcoat or two. This gives it a noticeable ridge, but the alternative is clearcoating the entire car again, which isn't a realistic option. The reason you don't get that with the hood, fascias is because those entire pieces get the clearcoat after the blue stripe is painted on the whole piece. Hope that helps answer the question. If you need further proof, follow the end of the side stripes around into the wheel wells and you will see either a tape line with a slight bleedthrough at the very edges, or you will notice a slight fade on the blue stripe at the edges. Totally justified question though, I thought the same thing! :salute:

I hear everyone talk about painted stripes, I didnt have the extra money for this option on my car, I had to go with vinyl stripes. Will the vinyl stripes still look Bad Ass? Also wondering if the vinyl will peel off soon when driving 160mph..

Good point Dubbs , But why would SA not clear coat the rocker panel. If any part needs to be clear coated you would figure it would be this area.

Well, the stripe is higher up than the rocker panel, it is on the door and fenders, so the rocker panel doesnt really have anything to do with it.

Ok same question but replace rocker panel with doors and fenders.:headscratch:

Well, at that point, wouldnt you be clearcoating the entire car then? I would imagine the cost would go up quite a bit for clearcoating that much real estate, and what benefit does it serve? Since you are already getting a new front fascia, hood, and rear fascia, the only things left are the roof, fenders and doors.

Well, at that point, wouldnt you be clearcoating the entire car then? I would imagine the cost would go up quite a bit for clearcoating that much real estate, and what benefit does it serve? Since you are already getting a new front fascia, hood, and rear fascia, the only things left are the roof, fenders and doors.

Roof and fenders are already clear coated. As far as the benefit as I see, it would be a better finish and assist if any minor scratches from road debris. It would be better to buff out the clear coat rather than repaint it. And the cost, how much more is it for the clear coat on the doors? The price initially was expensive and one would think somebody would have the clear coat spray in their hand while completing the other section of the car.

I opt out of the stripe down the rear fascia and there is not a rebate for that, this was acceptable to me. SA is not shy to charge for the cost nor should they be. Some of us might have paid the additional fee. Don’t get me wrong this car is unbelievable as I enter into my first show this weekend. It’s just my opinion it should have been completed with clear coat on the doors.

So I just walked the local GM lot to check out stripping on Camaros and Corvettes. Every car on the lot that had stripes had vinyl stripes, no paint. I called my local body guy, who knew all about the GT 350, and he said he could paint the stripes, and clear over them for $2000. He has done work for me in the past and is very good. I just cannot see spending an extra $3000 to have Shelby do the paint work. I may even be able to live with the vinyl and also save the $2000.

Someone, Dubbs, please tell me if I'm screwing up here.

Thanks

So I just walked the local GM lot to check out stripping on Camaros and Corvettes. Every car on the lot that had stripes had vinyl stripes, no paint. I called my local body guy, who knew all about the GT 350, and he said he could paint the stripes, and clear over them for $2000. He has done work for me in the past and is very good. I just cannot see spending an extra $3000 to have Shelby do the paint work. I may even be able to live with the vinyl and also save the $2000.

Someone, Dubbs, please tell me if I'm screwing up here.

Thanks

If you have a guy that does good work, and will do it for 2000, I'd have them painted on. If the vinyl starts to look like hell (fading, spotting) down the road, it will cost you a lot more. Just have Shelby leave off the striping all together. Or, better yet, see if they can send you some stencils along so that your guy can do the exact same work. Should be easy for them to do since they are saving the time and money not doing your car.

I dont think it is a screw up at all. I think SA might actually appreciate not having to do this for your car if I had to guess. It is a tedious process and very time consuming. I dont see SA making much money on painting the stripes and believe the reason they do it is because 1. we asked for it, and 2. They wanted the 350 to have those fine details we wish all cars had.

I would call Roger and see if you can get the proper paint code to have it done in the correct color. Thats really important especially if your car ends up parked next to another 350. The vinyl stripes are no extra cost to the package, so go ahead and get the vinyl, and then you can get them painted whenever you get around to it on your timetable. Plus, the painter you have can use the vinyls to mark off where the stripes should be. It will save him work in the long run and take the guesswork out of getting them done properly as far as sizing and placement. It would be like having a prefab set of stencils for your stripes. A great idea I think.

I hate to load up Roger with extra phone calls, but he is such a great assett to these kinds of issues, I would call him and ask his opinion as well. There may be something you and I arent considering. I cant answer long term value affects on doing non-shelby mods to the cars, but Im not concerning my car with those issues. I want my car my way, and use the SA build as a blank canvas that gets me most of the way to where I want to be, but we all have ideas and things we want our cars to have.

Case in point- If Shelby didnt decide to build the 350, I had long considered supersnaking my gt500, but I had the red stripe package, and didnt want to loose it. My conclusion was finally that I would get the supersnake package done, and then have the ss stripes fabricated and installed for me in red. SA wouldnt do it, but it didnt mean it couldnt be done. Then, if it ever got to the point that I needed to sell my car and the red stripes hurt the value, well, by then ALL vinyl stripes are going to be pealing and in not great condition, so there would be few SS cars out there with original striping anyway, so why not have it the way I wanted it? Hope that makes sense. Others would definitely disagree with my viewpoint though, so it all comes down to you. You own the car!

Archived