TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brought 08KR0898 home this Easter!

08KR525

As some of you know I have been searching for a red "08 KR with nav for some time. I purchased a black "08 KR with the Shaker 1000 back in April of 2009 and have absolutely loved it. I've had many other mustangs in the past before my wife and I started our family. When the KR came out I immediately wanted one, but could not justify the ADM's. Well now my two boys are showing some interest in cars and since I have no plans to sell the black KR there was a dilemma. I found a red KR at a dealership a little over an hour from the house last fall through an AutoTrader. I could not reach a deal with them, so my wife and I walked. I could not get that car out of my mind and even contacted a fellow TS member who locates these cars for potential buyers. When I told him about the car he said it had originally went to a dealership in Michigan and that it was the last new "08 Torch Red with nav in the country that hadn't sold. Fast forward to this weekend. It's pouring rain, Easter weekend and I decide to give it one more shot. I walked into the dealership as they're opening up ( I just got off from work) and there the car sits. The guy I had talked with hasn't shown up yet and a new guy starts talking with me as we're the only two besides the receptionist there. I explain everything about my past experience at the dealer and he says hold on. Five minutes later, after a phone call to the dealership's owner, I'm the new proud owner of CSM 08KR0898! As soon as I can figure out how to posts pics I will. Monday I will be calling Wendy for the required brake cap abd door sills! :happy feet:

Sweet!! Congratulations on the new purchase. That is awesome, but now you have a dilemma, which one to take out for a cruise. The red is beautiful, enjoy...

I just got off the phone with Wendy. Ordered a bunch of stuff thanks to the Easter sale. Now I'll be waiting like a kid at Christmas. :mail: If it ever quits raining maybe we can finally get the car out and drive it. The sales guy at the dealership wanted to know if I was going to "put it away". I told him while it's not my daily driver that it would definitely be driven. To quote Grabber," If they sit they will rot." I want to create memories with my sons. Someday these cars will eventually be passed on to them, but that's going to be a loooong time! :hysterical:

Congrats on your purchase! Great color choice and most of all, a great story! Your son sure looks happy about your decision.

It's funny that I ran into this post shortly after I saw a similar car (albeit a used one) on Ebay. I was seriously considering bidding on it but then checked the list of vehicles admissible for import and saw that only the '09s could be legally brought to Canada. :( That's a bit ridiculous, since both cars are essentially the same...

In any event, since the car didn't sell, here is the link to the auction that ended earlier this afternoon. This might be a good opportunity for another member to strike a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Ford-Mustang-/220772869820?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item336716a6bc

Why would the 2009 KRs be able to be imported to Canada and the 2008s not?

I agree that there is no logical reason for the 2008 being refused. This is essentially the same car. Thait being said the Canadian Registrar of Canada uses a list issued by Transport Canada to determine which vehicles are admissible for import. This list is updated periodically. Here is the most current list.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/roadsafety/vafus.pdf

If you go to page 9, you will see that all Shelbys other than those specifically listed as admissible are inadmissible. Only 2009 KRs are listed as admissible. All regular GT500s are OK. I did not want to take a chance to challenge Transport Canada and maybe end up with a $50K car that I could not bring home. That's really too bad because this seemed like a very nice car at a reasonable price,considering the current exchange rate ans the fact that MSRP for a KR in Canada was originally over $90K.

Why would any car that is street legal in the US not be "admissible" in Canada.

In the case of the KR specifically, I just don't know what the issue was. Generally however, the issue is different safety standards. For instance, for years, the bumpers had to meet a higher standard in Canada. A good example was the Ford GT, which was not available here in its first year of production, and was subsequently retrofited with a different bumper for Canada. Fortunately, this particular standard was changed a few years back.

http://www.beyond.ca/canadian-bumper-laws-relaxed/194.html

For the 2008 KR, my guess is that since the car was not available for sale in Canada in '08, it was not crash tested then. The fact that they subsequently sold the '09 here and that both cars are similar may not have been enough to convince Transport Canada to remove the '08 from the list.

Archived