TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Screw in my rear Tire!

Wicked_SVT

Went to take the Shelby out for a drive today and got the low tire pressure indicator light on the car. Took a look at the tires and found this on my rear driver side tire! Does anyone know if this can be repaired or am I pretty much screwed (No pun intended) and have to buy 2 new rear tires? Thanks in advance!

post-28416-0-83673700-1303612897_thumb.jpg

post-28416-0-83673700-1303612897_thumb.jpg

If the screw is at least an inch from the sidewall, you can get it patched. If not and you do need a new tire, you will probably just need one unless you have a lot of miles on the old tires.

Thanks for the advice! I have over 10,000 miles on these tires since my car is a daily driver. So if it needs to be replaced I will more than likely need two.

Went to take the Shelby out for a drive today and got the low tire pressure indicator light on the car. Took a look at the tires and found this on my rear driver side tire! Does anyone know if this can be repaired or am I pretty much screwed (No pun intended) and have to buy 2 new rear tires? Thanks in advance!

That looks like a DR, I had one in about the same place on my passenger rear with Toyo TQ DR's and found this warning on Toyo's page after I repaired mine.

NEVER REPAIR OR USE A REPAIRED PROXES TQ!

WARNING! FAILURE TO FOLLOW THIS ADVICE MAY RESULT IN CATASTROPHIC FAILURE OF THE TIRE, WHICH COULD LEAD TO LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL, AND THE POSSIBILITY OF SERIOUS INJURIES OR DEATH

They are not DRs. They are the stock SVTPP supercar G2 tires that came on the car. I have used about half of the tread life of the tire. Since tire replacement is so expensive and finding an alternative for the SVTPP tire has been a PIA I'm trying to avoid replacing tired until I Absolutely have too.

I've had several nail holes patched over the years. As long as it's done right, no issues. There are some that say don't patch a performance tire because it kills the speed rating. That may be so, but if that was the case I'd be buying tires every 3 months where I live.

Personally, I would just repair that one myself. I've done it numerous times in my life w/ no issues. The lawyers will of course advise otherwise...and I'm not suggesting that you do it, it's your decision!! :hysterical:

You can probably pull it out carefully and just rework the threads with a small file, you may need to use a hacksaw to cut the slot for the screwdriver. After that it should work as good as new..... oh, and there is no need to thank me, I enjoy helping people!

Unless you are daily driving on the autobahn next to playing school children I would get it fixed at a tire store.

Drove on the autobahn last week. When you get to the "no limits apply" sign it's open sailing! Hit 200Km/hr in a colleagues Mercedes. Glad to report there were no schools along the route we traveled. :finger:

Looks fixable. I had one that wasn't on an M3 a while back...but it was a bolt of all things. So the diameter of the hole was probably twice if not more that size. Far enough away from the shoulder as well. Good luck, it sucks! I caught that bolt on my M3 about a month after I bought it.

Also had a screw in the tire ( rear, not near the edge) on one of the Goodyear FI's on our Charger SRT and had it repaired with a "patch and plug" and it's holding up well after about 8 month's.

Is it worth fixing looks like there isn`t alot of thread left or is it just the angle of the photo????

Archived