TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spec 2+ clutch issues

In 2008 after I supercharged my car I installed a spec 2+ clutch. The 1st one let go during the break in period, so I took it out and bought a zoom dual disc with an aluminum fly wheel. The zoom was good but it was super hard to push in etc, so out it came. Meanwhile Spec replaced my 1st clutch under warranty so when the zoom came out in went the 2nd Spec 2+. We did the whole kit, slave, pilot bearing, new flywheel etc. From day one the clutch had a slight chirp occassionally starting out in 1st. The Ford tech could never duplicate so it did not get fixed. Finally he heard it and thought it was a hot spot. I eventually convinced him and the service manager that it wasn't a hot spot and they pulled the transmission and replaced the pilot bearing and slave unit. While the tranny was out the input shaft was inspected for burs etc as was the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. Everything checked out and the tranny was put back in. For about a day the noise disappeared only to reappear. Here is a video clip of the noise on downshifting and starting out.My link

Next week the clutch comes out and in goes a Mach 600 along with a new exedy steel 16 lb fly wheel. My link. Here is a link to the clutch that is going in. Same as the Roush clutch used in the 540 car. My link. I'll let you know how it turns out. I am sending Spec the flywheel and clutch to evaluate. The clutch holds well and doesn't seem to be slipping on acceleration, just annoys the crap out of you pulling away from a light or when downshifting.

My 540RH came with an aluminum flywheel and the clutch barely is enough for the power it has stock. You might want to go a step or two higher to avoid taking it out again, depending on how hard you drive it.

+1, I went through 2 clutches before I installed the Ram duel disk.

My 540RH came with an aluminum flywheel and the clutch barely is enough for the power it has stock. You might want to go a step or two higher to avoid taking it out again, depending on how hard you drive it.

Okay that is not helpful or what I want to hear. Thanks for the info though. The most recent spec 2+ is plenty of clutch for the HP I am making and for my driving habits, I just think their is a quality control issue with the spec product. As others stated it is hit or miss. I read on another forum that at JDM Jim Sr. inspects each Spec clutch prior to installation. Evidently he can tell just by looking at the disc if it is going to hold. If it doesn't look right he doesn't install it. I would love to know what he is looking for. I will keep you updated once it is installed and I get it broke in how it feels and holds up.

Why wasn't it helpful? You said you wanted to use what comes in my car stock and I told you about how it works and what comes with it.

Just busting your chops, as you now have me second guessing my decision. I can send the 600 back and pay a slight restocking fee which is certainly less than the cost of dropping the transmission again if the 600 doesn't work out. So now I have to make a decision. What exactly is the clutch in your car doing?

Thanks.

For what it is worth, both Sam (2007_Shelby_GT) & I put in the McLeod RST which is a dual disk setup

Pedal pressure is very close to stock but does engage closer to the top of the throw

Just busting your chops, as you now have me second guessing my decision. I can send the 600 back and pay a slight restocking fee which is certainly less than the cost of dropping the transmission again if the 600 doesn't work out. So now I have to make a decision. What exactly is the clutch in your car doing?

Thanks.

No sweat, just wanted to make sure I was giving advise you could use. My car has 1600 miles on it. Everything engages OK, just feels like in time once I get real traction back there the clutch isn't going to like it for very long. I like to to over- spec stuff that gets hard use so I don't have to change it alot. Or pay again and again. Good luck with whatever choice you end up with. :shift:

I appreciate the help, I also checked out a Roush forum and most over there are going with RXT or RST, so I am going to be a follower here.

No sweat, just wanted to make sure I was giving advise you could use. My car has 1600 miles on it. Everything engages OK, just feels like in time once I get real traction back there the clutch isn't going to like it for very long. I like to to over- spec stuff that gets hard use so I don't have to change it alot. Or pay again and again. Good luck with whatever choice you end up with. :shift:

I appreciate the help, I also checked out a Roush forum and most over there are going with RXT or RST, so I am going to be a follower here.

Dual Disc is the only way to go in my opinion. Mcleod or Ram. Always replace slave and replace plastic clutch line with Ford Racing- M-7512-A stainless line. Properly Bed clutch like brakes. Don't go out and launch at 5800 rpms. Start off easy and release the clutch quickly as possible without riding the pedal and get underway as quickly as possible. Many advise 500 miles before punishing it.

Dual Disc is the only way to go in my opinion. Mcleod or Ram. Always replace slave and replace plastic clutch line with Ford Racing- M-7512-A stainless line. Properly Bed clutch like brakes. Don't go out and launch at 5800 rpms. Start off easy and release the clutch quickly as possible without riding the pedal and get underway as quickly as possible. Many advise 500 miles before punishing it.

So Davey boy, I bet you're chomping at the bit to hit 501 so you can let that clutch loose!!!!!!! I'll still smoke you!!!!!! :slapfight::hysterical:

yeah I think I am going to try and sell the Mach 600/exedy clutch and go the dual disc route. or pay the 20% restocking fee and return it. Exedy has a dual disc but it is $1200 or so? RST is $650 or so at JPC the RXT is $835 or so. I already run the braided clutch line from JPC. Thanks for the feedback.

Any of you NA guys looking for a new clutch? I'll make you a deal!

Archived