TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is kona blue as hard to care for as black

jsg1518

Trying to decide on color as I havent seen any of the gt500 in person in my area?

Close but no. My wife has a black car...its always dirty. My kona blue might be as dirty but not as noticable...it looses its metallic and shine a bit, thats how i know its getting dirty/dusty.

My car is perpetually in need of a wash. After a wash and wax, it's painful to see the dust that accumulates over the course of a couple days of driving and if there are any water droplets. We're getting some pretty crappy weather up here in Toronto Canada and the car doesn't have any qualms revealing its water spots. I've never had a black car, but I imagine it would be similar or slightly worse.

My car is perpetually in need of a wash. After a wash and wax, it's painful to see the dust that accumulates over the course of a couple days of driving and if there are any water droplets. We're getting some pretty crappy weather up here in Toronto Canada and the car doesn't have any qualms revealing its water spots. I've never had a black car, but I imagine it would be similar or slightly worse.

Mulanzo,

There's an old saying that Black cars are a full time job to keep clean. Unfortunately, the dark hue of Kona isn't far behind. I find that Silver is very good at hiding a thin coat of dust.

That's crappy... on the other hand, when clean... Kona and Black give me wood. I agree with the silver, and the GT500s look great in silver....but I couldnt ever see myself in a silver car... When I drive downtown, 90% of the cars are White and Silver. I refuse to blend in.

In my opinion kona is the best color on the shelby, but it is def. One of the hardest to keep clean and I have owned black cars.. but never the less mine is always flawless clean.....no rain or snow... The dust no big deal, meguiars detail spray, done in ten minutes and looking beautiful....

I'm afraid of Mequiar's detail spray. It's great when there's ONLY dust...but what happens if you miss that little piece of dirt that is sitting on the hood from a nice little jaunt and you accidentally grind it into your hood :blink:

I was neurotic about keeping it clean...but then I realized I can't fight the crazy Canadian weather...and it's my DD... I have to let it look ugly a couple days out of the week otherwise I'll wear the paint out. Funny thing is, even when it's covered in water spots, dirty water splashes and whatever else....I still always come out of the store or work and find some old guy or some young kid or some pretty little lady checking it out. It's sexy when it's dirty...I kinda like that.

If I had a personal car washer/ detail guy to clean my car every day or there was no such thing as traffic/ speed enforcement then I totally would of gotten black or kona PP but I don't so I got silver and only wash my GT500 about once a month and that is at the drive through touch less at the 76 station. Its so nice not having to stress about getting it dirty, driving through sprinkler water puddles, or feeling a little bit ashamed or feeling not as good behind the wheel because of having a dirty black car that hasn't been washed for a month. I like to keep my PP rims clean and the tires wet and that makes my dirty silver car look like it just came out of the full service wash. I have a bad back and right leg and I didn't want the color of my car dictating and controlling my life that much.

Silver or gray classic cars like vettes, or muscle cars always look sharp and timeless and seem to fetch higher bids at the auctions I see on TV. Re-sale red is for the 60 and older generation now days when it comes to auctions, but a silver/ gray 67 vette, or boss 429 looks as if it could be current concept car and never dated or going out of style and doesn't show its age as much as red or black. But I'm just rambling get what you want but take into consideration all the washing, waxing, detail spray and fussing that's involved in black or kona just to leave the house in style and give your Shelby GT500 the look it deserves.

Black is by far the most difficult to maintain. My wife's 2010 GT convertible is black and I'm constaintly washing it. Then 5 min out of the garage and it's showing dust. Kona Blue was actually my first choice for a GT500 until I saw the Grabber Blue in person and weighed in having two cars that are more difficult to keep looking clean. Grabber Blue is pretty easy to maintain. Our black Mustang GT gets washed about 4 times to every 1 time the Grabber Blue GT500 does.

The good thing is that the GT500 looks awesome in any color offered. The bad thing is it makes choosing the color for your GT500 very tough. Lol

The Kona is definitely NOT as much work as black... I had black before, never again...

And when the sun is shining on that "metal flake" in the paint is is just spectacular. My second choice was the Sterling Grey (also metallic) but decided on the Kona in the long run.

NO REGRETS HERE!

Enjoy,

GUS

I'm afraid of Mequiar's detail spray. It's great when there's ONLY dust...but what happens if you miss that little piece of dirt that is sitting on the hood from a nice little jaunt and you accidentally grind it into your hood :blink:

I was neurotic about keeping it clean...but then I realized I can't fight the crazy Canadian weather...and it's my DD... I have to let it look ugly a couple days out of the week otherwise I'll wear the paint out. Funny thing is, even when it's covered in water spots, dirty water splashes and whatever else....I still always come out of the store or work and find some old guy or some young kid or some pretty little lady checking it out. It's sexy when it's dirty...I kinda like that.

if its a little more than dust,use Maguiars # 7 or even #6

As Glroy said: "buy black when you retire " is so true . Having retired a few years ago,a black shelby really keeps me occupied quite a few days of the week!!!! Having 2 other black cars in the family I look at it as just punishment!!!!!!!!!! My wife only allowed me to get the new Shelby if I bought a black one.So you can bet your butt that black it was!!!!!!!!!!!! :spiteful:

The last fun car I owned was a black Supra. Yep, lots 'o work keeping it clean, but I loved it. Was looking to do something different this time, but still love the darker color as it shows so much more reflection, so I went with Kona. As I've seen it stated elsewhere, when Kona is clean and waxed, it looks like it's a foot deep! I'm expecting to probably wash her by hand once a week, and I'm good with that. Since I was a teen, I've always enjoyed taking some time on a nice day to clean up my ride, and then go for a cruise.

Well, this is the first car I have owned thats not black! is it less work not to sure, I can spend hours washing my car and it does not bother me one bit... And I will tell you what Kona Blue when clean and waxed is well I read earlier in the thread happy%20feet.gif boing

My 1985 GT is black, and the original paint is swirled and shows every flaw, dent, ding from 26 years and 86K miles of fun. Swore I would never own another black vehicle and then my GT500 presented itself at the dealership....love at first sight! :happy feet:

A tremendous amount of work and worth every minute of it. That said, I would have been happy with my Shelby in any color, but I think the Kona Blue and Black are awesome looking on this car.

That said, I would have been happy with my Shelby in any color, but I think the Kona Blue and Black are awesome looking on this car.

I agree whole-heartedly. In fact, my order is for a Kona blue with stripe delete, and I'm having the dealer put a Satin Black stripe kit on it. Best of both worlds! victory.gif

I agree whole-heartedly. In fact, my order is for a Kona blue with stripe delete, and I'm having the dealer put a Satin Black stripe kit on it. Best of both worlds! victory.gif

Have you seen pics of the kona/ black supersnake's? The black stripes are barley noticeable and you may just want to save you money but if that's the look you're going for then go for it.

kona with black stripes

2010-Shelby-SuperSnake-19.jpg

2010_super_snake.jpg

2010-shelby-gt500-super-snake_100183182_l.jpg

2010-ford-shelby-mustang-gt500-supersnake-2.jpg

first-drive-2010-shelby-super-snake-as-good-as-a-ford-mustang-g.jpg

If I had a kona and was going through the investment of stripes then I would get the white svt pp style stripes, black doesn't show up, non pp stripes fatten up the cars look, its a factory part and the pp white is classic GT40.

2005-Ford-GT-Blue-RA-Studio-1600x1200.jpg

Ford-GT40-1024.jpg

Either way you have a killer car on your way, I'm not knocking your idea or style I just wanted to give you a few more options.

Have you seen pics of the kona/ black supersnake's? The black stripes are barley noticeable and you may just want to save you money but if that's the look you're going for then go for it.

kona with black stripes

If I had a kona and was going through the investment of stripes then I would get the white svt pp style stripes, black doesn't show up, non pp stripes fatten up the cars look, its a factory part and the pp white is classic GT40.

Either way you have a killer car on your way, I'm not knocking your idea or style I just wanted to give you a few more options.

Appreciate your info and pics, Dan. Really. I'll confess that I've put a lot of thought into the color combo, and it's basically driven by my interest in an understated look. I was going to to with black on black, but decided to change it up a little so the stripe can be a little more noticeable. Another consideration is that I'm going with a glass roof, and think the lack of the stripe on the roof looks a little out of place, but it won't be as obvious with this color combo. Plus, I'll get the all-black seats, which I prefer. The dealer gave me a great price on the OEM stripe kit, installed, so it's all good. Now if I could just get my hands on the car! Once I do, it will give me a reason to learn how to post pics here. Sometime this summer, I guess.

BTW, kinda weird that Ford offers Kona with black stripes on the V6 and the GT, but not the Shelby. I talked to the reps at the cust. svc number, and voiced my displeasure, but they couldn't do a thing about it. So, I go with plan B. It will be a unique combo when it comes through.

That's exactly why it was black for me. I'm retired and love to polish. It's like spit shining my boots. California duster and speed wax, it will be clean all the time. I don't drive when the weather is bad. I drive my BLACK pick-up which is awfully dirty most of the time. Nice air tight garage, good cover and lots of wax will keep it nice all the time. Pics to follow once I figure out how to post.

Archived