TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Attention getter

Alloy Dave

I drove the car to work today...74 degrees for a high here, gorgeous.

After I took a quick spin at lunch, I came back in the parking lot and backed into a spot. I got out and a guy I knew saw me and started asking questions. He asked if I could pop the hood, so I did. As I was putting the prop rod in the hold (waiting on Steeda struts), I heard voices. I turned around and there were about 9 other people walking up!

Lots of questions:

What color is that? Answer: It's called Alloy...it's the fastest color :hysterical2:

What powerplant? Answer: 331 CID, supercharged

What horsepower? Answer: 500....for now :spiteful:

So you've had it modified at a speed shop then? Answer: No, it comes with 500.

Oh my gosh, you're kidding me? Answer: When it comes to HP, I'm no kidder (ok, I didn't really say that)

Is that a 5-speed transmission? Answer: No, six, with two overdrives.

Have you changed anything on the car yet? Answer: Just the Shelby letters on the back.

How much do these cost? Answer: That's not an easy question to answer :ohsnap: , plan on about $60k

I work in a corporate office, so it was all professionals, many of whom drive more luxury type cars like Infinity, Lexus, a lot of larger SUVs, BMWs, etc.

Of course I'm sure it helped that I'd washed it over the weekend and it's pretty clean (damn Zaino system wore me out :banghead: )

This summer is going to be fun.

P.S. I wonder how that "other" car of mine is coming along? :idea

AD

After I took a quick spin at lunch, I came back in the parking lot and backed into a spot. I got out and a guy I knew saw me and started asking questions. He asked if I could pop the hood, so I did. As I was putting the prop rod in the hold (waiting on Steeda struts), I heard voices. I turned around and there were about 9 other people walking up!

Lots of questions:

What color is that? Answer: It's called Alloy...it's the fastest color :hysterical2:

Oh my gosh, you're kidding me? Answer: When it comes to HP, I'm no kidder (ok, I didn't really say that)

Have you changed anything on the car yet? Answer: Just the Shelby letters on the back.

How much do these cost? Answer: That's not an easy question to answer :ohsnap: , plan on about $60k

I work in a corporate office, so it was all professionals, many of whom drive more luxury type cars like Infinity, Lexus, a lot of larger SUVs, BMWs, etc.

Of course I'm sure it helped that I'd washed it over the weekend and it's pretty clean (damn Zaino system wore me out :banghead: )

AD

Much attention still to get around our area with the weather issues we've had for so long. I suspect mine will have another nap in the garage very soon, but for now - top down and out on the street.....if only I could not work the rest of the day too.

Lots of questions:

AD

The Same thing happened to me today when I went out for a 50 mile drive on a 70 degree day ( I'm farther north than Indy). People pointing starring & trying to catch up to me for a closer look. I even stopped by my dealer to ask for another window sticker to be ordered & folks who were on the lot started coming over to my car wanting to know how much? :ohsnap: I pointed to my salesperson & said talk to him :hysterical2: I didn't have the heart to tell them MSRP & yours will be 25k more for 2008

Dave, let me correct you on the HP. We had confirmed confirmation from some of the people that built the engines, they wouldn't let them pass the line unless they had 525-530 hp at the crank. It's back in anals somewhere here and was not disputed. Remember? Ford got screwed a few years ago with claiming more than was there. It's here somewhere.

Lutzcat

Dave, let me correct you on the HP. We had confirmed confirmation from some of the people that built the engines, they wouldn't let them pass the line unless they had 525-530 hp at the crank. It's back in anals somewhere here and was not disputed. Remember? Ford got screwed a few years ago with claiming more than was there. It's here somewhere.

Lutzcat

I'm simply quoting what the marketing literature states...which is what these people would be reading. There was no sense for me going into some lengthy discussion about how they make more than what's advertised, or discussion of RWHP vs. FWHP..etc. No need to correct me.

Dave

Hey, Dave. The other day I drove my father-in-law to a doctor's appointment. While I was in the waiting room, two ladies who worked there were looking out the (second story) window when one sees my Alloy Gray GT. She remarked what a nice color it was (she didn't know I was the owner of it), and the other said "oh, the black Mustang"? and the first lady said something like "no, it's more of a charcoal color, but it sure is beautiful on that Mustang." And, like you, it sure helped that the car was freshly washed.

Now here's the rub. I specifically bought my GT in this color to keep from getting any attention. I was hoping to just blend into traffic and the surroundings. I grew so weary of all the attention my Azure Blue 03 Mach 1 got everywhere I drove it (and it was a daily driver, so it was a daily barrage of questions and comments from onlookers). I don't consider myself to be unsocial, but a low key sleeper is what I was after (much like Rufdraft). Turns out, however, that Alloy Gray attracts attention (when the sun is shining bright and it sparkles).

Oh, and you're absolutely right: Alloy Gray is the fastest color, plus it flies under the radar better than a Torch Red Mustang.

Yes! Some similar experiences here. I actually had a guy pass me on the freeway and his passenger had his cell phone out the window taking a picture of my car! Two weeks ago at a stoplight I had a guy get out of his car which was two cars back and ask me to roll down the window so he could tell me that mine was the first one he had ever seen and ask me if I paid over MSRP....my reply....affirmative!! Also many questions in parking lots and the like. Make sure when you're going somewhere in the Shelby that you have a little extra time for questions.

-Bill-

Much attention still to get around our area with the weather issues we've had for so long. I suspect mine will have another nap in the garage very soon, but for now - top down and out on the street.....if only I could not work the rest of the day too.

Icemn, am I correct that you were interested in getting your vert. striped? If so let me know, I may have a shop that will do it for $450 + tax.

:hysterical2:

Lots of questions:

AD

White is Faster! :redcard:

Archived