TEAM SHELBY FORUM

max tire width for front

Has anyone run a 285 width series on the front of your Shelby GT? If so did or do you have any clearance issues or rubbing of the tire on the inner fenders. I have brake cooling ducts which could get crowded by a wider width tire when turning. I'm running 255 x 45R up front and they need to be replaced. I'd like to go same size on all four corners so I can rotate front to rear. I have 285 40 on the back BF Godrich KDW's the newer versions. The rear are ok right now after a heavy track session. The right front is taking a beating on the outside edge. Thanks Guys!

We have 9.5" rims and 285s for track tires on the front of the Terlingua. They slightly rub at full turn, but I'm not really worried about it since full turn will be a slow speeds. I plan to use them on my SGT also and I do not anticipate any problems. I know someone who has 295s on the front of a Terlingua also. It is a very similar setup as an SGT.

275s are as far as you can go and I run those on all four corners on the track. On the street, I run the 255s on the front and the 285s on the back.

What others have said is correct, with anything wider than 275s up front you will get rubbing.

Jim

Thanks guys, I forgot to mention I have these tires mounted on GT500 rims that are 9.5 inches wide. I see where BF Goodrich has a 275 40ZR tire now so That should be ok to replace the 255's.

275s are as far as you can go and I run those on all four corners on the track. On the street, I run the 255s on the front and the 285s on the back.

What others have said is correct, with anything wider than 275s up front you will get rubbing.

Jim

You can run 285 up front.

I have 285/35/20 on the front and so far have not had any rubbing issues under combined track and street use. These are also larger than stock diameter (27.7 vs/ 27.0) which should create more of a problem if there is one. If you want the same size all around you could consider 285/40/18 (stock rear GT500 size). I know someone who uses these all around on his GT500.

You certainly won't have the same margin of error with a 285. I could see how there might be the potential for rubbing under the right circumstances. So far so good though.

Thanks guys, I forgot to mention I have these tires mounted on GT500 rims that are 9.5 inches wide. I see where BF Goodrich has a 275 40ZR tire now so That should be ok to replace the 255's.

My 285-40 GT500 tires and rims are front and rear, with never a rub on the road or at the famous Chuckwalla October track day and numerous autocross laps since ...

5105543319_7aa44aae9e_b.jpg

I just ordered in a set of Toyo Proxes T1R's 275/40ZR-18 for all four corners on GT500 wheels. I put the 285's on the front to check clearance issues. It all seemed fine with no sound of any rubbing, but I only had 1/4" on one side and 5/16" clearance on the other between the tire and the strut. Not sure if it would rub under hard cornering situations or not.

Archived