TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why don't the Shelby GT and GT500 have spare tires?

blueshawk

I was surprised to find that my Shelby GT doesn't have a spare tire. It has the tire inflation kit with a sealant. These tires are the same size tires offered as an option on the regular GT with 18" wheels so why no spare tire? In addition, if you read the standard GT owners manual you will see in the section on the spare tire that Ford does NOT recommend using a sealant because it may damage you pressure sensor!

Anyone have a clue why no spare tire?

Will the standard GT spare work?

Because the front tire is a different size than the one in the back. If you put two different sized tires on the back you will damage the rear end. and there is no room for two spares and the computer sensors on the wheels will sense different tire rotation and run amuck. I think you could use a programmer to change tire size and your problem could be salved and then you could purchase a spare.

I hope this helps

Because the front tire is a different size than the one in the back. If you put two different sized tires on the back you will damage the rear end. and there is no room for two spares and the computer sensors on the wheels will sense different tire rotation and run amuck. I think you could use a programmer to change tire size and your problem could be salved and then you could purchase a spare.

I hope this helps

Is that true for the Shelby GT as well as the GT500? I have the Shelby GT and I didn't even notice it having two different tire sizes. The manual from Shelby doesn't say two different tires. So my question must be changed to....

Why does the Shelby GT not have a spare tire?

Is that true for the Shelby GT as well as the GT500? I have the Shelby GT and I didn't even notice it having two different tire sizes. The manual from Shelby doesn't say two different tires. So my question must be changed to....

Why does the Shelby GT not have a spare tire?

I have the Shelby GT manual at my desk and it says the same tire for front and back. I'm just going to have to wait unitl I get home to check out the tire sizes. aonebadbaone's reason is the only one that makes sense though.

I would say because of the added weight. Being that it is a SPECIALTY performance car, the spare is removed to shed pounds. Its performance over comfort (of knowing you have a spare) and practicality. That is why other Hi-Po vehicles do the same. That is what I think.

GM solved this problem...run-flats (Corvettes have had them since '93)...

I looked into them and the reviews of these Goodyear tires on the Corvettes are not too good. They wear out very fast. Performance is very much degraded after as little as 7-10K miles.

So........... I just ordered a fifth wheel just like the ones (18" black bullitt) on the car and I'll mount the same tire too (the reviews of these BFGoodrich tires are fairly good) and carry this in my trunk with a lightweight (lowprofile) jack. I'm not going to mount a pressure sensor in it for now since I'll keep it as a spare, but I may add a sensor some time in the future. I just don't like not having a spare!

BTW, my friends BMW M3 doesn't have a spare or even a place to put one. The same goes for the M5's. So this is getting to be more common than I thought.

GM solved this problem...run-flats (Corvettes have had them since '93)...

They didnt solve anything... they just put an everyday driver tire on the car instead of a performance tire... Run flats are what you would want on ure luxury sedan (i wouldnt even put them on mine)... not a 500 hp sports car. Eagle F1 >>>> Run flats :hysterical2:

I was surprised to find that my Shelby GT doesn't have a spare tire. It has the tire inflation kit with a sealant. These tires are the same size tires offered as an option on the regular GT with 18" wheels so why no spare tire? In addition, if you read the standard GT owners manual you will see in the section on the spare tire that Ford does NOT recommend using a sealant because it may damage you pressure sensor!

Anyone have a clue why no spare tire?

Will the standard GT spare work?

I believe I have the answer as to why the Shelby GT does not have a spare tire....because you can't get a jack under it. Even at the Shelby shop in Las Vegas, they have to drive the cars up on 2x12 boards before moving the lift arms under the car. Been there, seen this. So, if you can't jack the car, what's the purpose of a spare. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I believe I have the answer as to why the Shelby GT does not have a spare tire....because you can't get a jack under it. Even at the Shelby shop in Las Vegas, they have to drive the cars up on 2x12 boards before moving the lift arms under the car. Been there, seen this. So, if you can't jack the car, what's the purpose of a spare. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Good guess, becuase that's what I thought. But...... I just bought the standard Ford Mustang scissors jack today ($35 from my dealer) and it works just fine. This jack will compress to about 3.75" which is plenty short to fit in the jack points even with the lowered Shelby GT.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Good guess, becuase that's what I thought. But...... I just bought the standard Ford Mustang scissors jack today ($35 from my dealer) and it works just fine. This jack will compress to about 3.75" which is plenty short to fit in the jack points even with the lowered Shelby GT.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Most excellent response. Thanks for the info on the scissor jack. I was hoping someone would go down this road. I will follow your lead and visit my Ford Parts Department today. I think it's a good insurance policy to carry in the trunk. Don

str8black500, my fellow Virginian...I don't know what you think, but I do know that I've had my '01 Vette (with run-flats) up to 164MPH with nary a problem...ran like a champ and was still pulling...Have you had your Snake up to that speed? Oh, I forgot...I think they put a governor on the GT500... stops at 150...right? Oh, and Ford says you shouldn't be driving the GT500 in less than 40 degrees of weather with the stock tires...such restrictions...such a pity...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

blueshawk, my run-flats are still looking great (15K miles) on my almost 6 year old Vette (measured them the other day with 7/32nds in the rear and 6/32nds in the front...plenty of life in them.

str8black500, my fellow Virginian...I don't know what you think, but I do know that I've had my '01 Vette (with run-flats) up to 164MPH with nary a problem...ran like a champ and was still pulling...Have you had your Snake up to that speed? Oh, I forgot...I think they put a governor on the GT500... stops at 150...right? Oh, and Ford says you shouldn't be driving the GT500 in less than 40 degrees of weather with the stock tires...such restrictions...such a pity...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

blueshawk, my run-flats are still looking great (15K miles) on my almost 6 year old Vette (measured them the other day with 7/32nds in the rear and 6/32nds in the front...plenty of life in them.

Better check the date code on the tires. Tires are only rated for a 7 year life span. After 8 they can be quite dangerous. Most folk wear them out before they age out but for cars like yours that do not get many miles, the date code needs to be checked. Likely you have about a year left to use up that tread.

jcthorne, I'll be sure to keep that mind...of course, the tires have not been subjected to any prolonged UV exposure in the sun (i.e. sits in the garage)...so that alone will probably give me at a couple more years...

I would say because of the added weight. Being that it is a SPECIALTY performance car, the spare is removed to shed pounds. Its performance over comfort (of knowing you have a spare) and practicality. That is why other Hi-Po vehicles do the same. That is what I think.

Exactly, thats what its about - Keeping the weight lower.

Sure - Whatever

Stage III Kenne Belle = 800HP for 4-5K, re tune and easy bolt on. Lots of of motor to unleash on this beast, dont forget this car comes out the factory with the "Grandmother tune"

• 3 weeks later...

Well unless you actually tried, you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a donut spare tire for a 2005-2007 Mustang. Neither of the junkyards have one in my small town. Nothing on the web, including tire rack.com, that I could find. Nothing on Ebay except one that claims it's for a '93-07 but it won't work on the 05-07 (I checked). So I go to the dealer and order one. When it comes in, it's only the wheel and it costs $198! So I said I also wanted the tire too, which is what I thought I was getting. They tell me a tire is even harder to find and they aren't wrong. None of the web dealers have them and don't know where to get them, they just send me back to the dealer. Now a tire for this donut wheel costs about the same as the wheel ~$200. So the whole package is ~$400 + mounting and balancing for a simple donut spare tire. I never would have believed it! So the real reason there is no spare tire in the Shelbys is because Ford saved themselves money!

Well unless you actually tried, you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a donut spare tire for a 2005-2007 Mustang. Neither of the junkyards have one in my small town. Nothing on the web, including tire rack.com, that I could find. Nothing on Ebay except one that claims it's for a '93-07 but it won't work on the 05-07 (I checked). So I go to the dealer and order one. When it comes in, it's only the wheel and it costs $198! So I said I also wanted the tire too, which is what I thought I was getting. They tell me a tire is even harder to find and they aren't wrong. None of the web dealers have them and don't know where to get them, they just send me back to the dealer. Now a tire for this donut wheel costs about the same as the wheel ~$200. So the whole package is ~$400 + mounting and balancing for a simple donut spare tire. I never would have believed it! So the real reason there is no spare tire in the Shelbys is because Ford saved themselves money!

BTW, I only found one manufacturer for this tire, T155/80R17, Firestone and their web site says it's $228 and availbility is questionable.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finished with the spare tire project. I now have a Mustang "temp" spare and scissors jack in the trunk (the tire and wheel are ridiculously expensive). The tire inflation kit is in storage. I also have a spare wheel and tire like those on the car in storage in case I damage a wheel or need a tire fast because these have to be ordered where I live.

Next project is a guage pod when they are available.

I'm finished with the spare tire project. I now have a Mustang "temp" spare and scissors jack in the trunk (the tire and wheel are ridiculously expensive). The tire inflation kit is in storage. I also have a spare wheel and tire like those on the car in storage in case I damage a wheel or need a tire fast because these have to be ordered where I live.

Next project is a guage pod when they are available.

Have you fit checked the temp spare to see if it will clear the front brake caliper?

.....also, I am sure you checked but for my verification; when we bought my wife's car that has ABS, I was told that all ABS cars have to have a full diameter spare for the brakes to work properly. Did you check? Is that true? Is your temp spare the same diameter as the other tires?

.....also, I am sure you checked but for my verification; when we bought my wife's car that has ABS, I was told that all ABS cars have to have a full diameter spare for the brakes to work properly. Did you check? Is that true? Is your temp spare the same diameter as the other tires?

I didn't check yet. Too many things going on lately. But unless the Shelby GT brakes are different than a 2007 Mustang GT premium (and I think not), the tire/wheel should work. These Mustangs come with factory wheels that are 17" and can be upgraded to 18". The temp is 17" and per the dealer is supposed to fit a 2007 Mustang GT premium with 18" wheels. They also only come with a 17" temp. You are right about trying it out, but if this doesn't work, then none of the temps work with Mustang GT premiums.

BTW, this temp just barely fits into the trunk wheel well.

....unless I am wrong (which is likely), ABS is an option on all of the standard Mustangs not standard equipment as the Shelby GTs. The overall siameter is in regards to the BAS working properly. Keep in mind I could have been misled by a salesperson on the the requirement.

Anti lock brakes are standard on all Mustangs including the Shelby GT and GT500.

I thought you had a GT500. My mistake. The temp spare will not fit on the front of a GT500 The brake calipers are to large.

The temp spare should fit a Shelby GT unless you order the larger brake package from Shelby Automobiles.

• 2 weeks later...

Shelby GT tires are the same, front and back. The spare is deleted to save weight and enhance performance. Shelby GT's and Ford GT 500's are basically street-legal race cars, and race cars don't have spares. I think its cool that its not there. I haven't had a flat tire in 35 years (knock on wood).

Shelby GT tires are the same, front and back. The spare is deleted to save weight and enhance performance. Shelby GT's and Ford GT 500's are basically street-legal race cars, and race cars don't have spares. I think its cool that its not there. I haven't had a flat tire in 35 years (knock on wood).

No offense dude,but that has been addressed in this topic. I for one wish there was a spare because down here in Florida these carpenters seem to spread their nails from job to job. All of our cars have had at least 2 tires replaced in the past year.

Archived