TEAM SHELBY FORUM

rear end gears

qwk08snk

08 shelby gt500 is in dealers having 373 Ford Racing Gears installed, I haven"t taken it home yet but the mechanic says the whining is unacceptable. Took a spin with him at 60-65 mph and he's got that right.He's had it apart twice checking everything, only thing he can't get correct is the pattern .He's going after that tomorrow. so here's hoping. It seems to be a common problem on GT500's. I have BMR adjustable uca and bracket/lca and adjustable panhard bar. I'm thinking the pinion angle is wrong but don"t want to P/O the guy by opening my mouth as I'm not a mechanic and he is. Anybody go thru the same deal and end up with a happy ending? A little noise I can handle but this is way past noise. I am reading that there are a lot of NFG Ford gear sets around. If these arer no good I hope they make good and replace them at their cost as the car hasn't even left the shop yet. They say they'll figure it out one way or the other so here's hoping. Any advice appreciated.

08 shelby gt500 is in dealers having 373 Ford Racing Gears installed, I haven"t taken it home yet but the mechanic says the whining is unacceptable. Took a spin with him at 60-65 mph and he's got that right.He's had it apart twice checking everything, only thing he can't get correct is the pattern .He's going after that tomorrow. so here's hoping. It seems to be a common problem on GT500's. I have BMR adjustable uca and bracket/lca and adjustable panhard bar. I'm thinking the pinion angle is wrong but don"t want to P/O the guy by opening my mouth as I'm not a mechanic and he is. Anybody go thru the same deal and end up with a happy ending? A little noise I can handle but this is way past noise. I am reading that there are a lot of NFG Ford gear sets around. If these arer no good I hope they make good and replace them at their cost as the car hasn't even left the shop yet. They say they'll figure it out one way or the other so here's hoping. Any advice appreciated.

Why don`t you ask thjem to check your pinion angle or was that done when you added the UCA< that could be your problem.

gears were 150 and installation 450 all in. Dealer is going to install new set of gears now and looks like warranty will pick up the tab. I just want my car back with no loud whine.stay tuned...hasn't moved from dealers in a week good thing its raining....lol

• 3 weeks later...

well car is still at dealers, noise is off the scale. tech says gears nfg, Ford racing say too bad no warranty. I havent even taken the car home yet. Has anyone had any dealings with warranty on Ford racing parts? I emailed Ford racing for help but that went unanswered. I am past frustrated.

well car is still at dealers, noise is off the scale. tech says gears nfg, Ford racing say too bad no warranty. I havent even taken the car home yet. Has anyone had any dealings with warranty on Ford racing parts? I emailed Ford racing for help but that went unanswered. I am past frustrated.

and the plot continues. I have given up so has dealer. Downloaded ford racing specs for 373 rear end and mechanic set to those specs. Noise was worse than ever. Called ford racing and asked for help.Dealer mechanic says gears are nfg. Ford racing says send them to us for inspection That is really wonderful, I'm sure that won't take longer than 6 months. I am out the money I spent for the gears and the dealer is out money for installation all for a crummy few humdred dollars. they sure know how to p** people off. I don't understand how they can sell defective parts and then tell the customer "too bad"...I will wait and see what happens but you know where this will go...I am a true blue ford guy but boy they sure make it hard...stay tuned..

It’s unfortunate that your problems persist. If the dealership knew that there was a problem, then why didn’t they just throw another set in there? The actual gears are relatively inexpensive. It’s the labor that is costly…

I recently purchased a set of FRPP 3.73 gears from Summit and had a local guy install them… whisper quiet with no issues. It seems that there have more complaints recently regarding gear swaps. I still think that 99% of the problems are related to the install and not the actual gears. Good luck and I hope that you get the matter resolved.

08 shelby gt500...<snip>

the mechanic says the whining is unacceptable.

Took a spin with him at 60-65 mph and he's got that right.He's had it apart twice checking everything,

only thing he can't get correct is the pattern

Did he say what kind of pattern he's seeing?

Give me that info and I may be able to send you some tips/pointers to give to your tech.

Phill (ASE Master Certified Tech)

I still think that 99% of the problems are related to the install and not the actual gears. Good luck and I hope that you get the matter resolved.

+1, I had 4.10s installed on my 05 GT a couple years back and stressed the crap out of myself (not thats not a new development) trying to decide where to have them done since EVERYONE told me that a less than METICULOUS install will cause moderate to severe whining. Asked around for a long time and finally found a guy that knew what he was going. Did it once and no whine. Also FRPP gears.

Quick question, did you provide the parts? Or did the dealership order them for you? If you supplied them, I'd just tell them you want it back to stock, you're not paying for a failed install, and take your gears and start over with a new installer that knows what they are talking about. If THEY supplied the gears, I'd tell them FAIL and you want your stock car back and you're not paying a dime... THEN go find the guy that knows how to do this.

Just my $0.02

I put FRPP 3.73 gears in my GT500 several years ago and they are noisier than I think they should be. I'll use a different brand next time.

I think you'll be disappointed either way if you have the same person install them. I'm told FRPP gears are as good as it gets for our cars, IF they are installed correctly. But that's just my experience and opinion of course.

OEM gears began whining a month or so after I bought my new GT500. Had 4.10s put in awhile back. After a couple of months, they started whining too. Rear axle on my Ford Explorer whines. I have bigger things to worry about than whining rear axles on Fords.

• 11 months later...

I see that this topic has been brought back so I thought that I would throw in my .02 worth. 95% of the time when there is a problem with a rearend gear swap it is DUE TO AN ERROR on the installers behalf. I.E. did not replace the bearings(which should always be done) , did not set the pattern correctly on both the drive and coast side , did not set the pinion depth correctly , DID NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A HUNTING VS A NON-HUNTING Gear Set , did NOT understand gear patterns ( heel/toe ) and lastly but not too often setting the correct ammount of backlash . 3-4% of the time is DUE TO IMPROPER BREAK-IN PROCEDURE and/or IMPROPER FLUID TYPE, then there is the remaining 1-2% of the time when there is an actual problem with the gear set .(i.e. ring gear runout , uneven or improper hardening process). I have seen too many techs try to cut corners or give up on getting the patterns correct and then blame the gear set both in the classroom (as a teacher) and in the field (as an ASE Certified Technician). Again my .02

I have seen too many techs try to cut corners or give up on getting the patterns correct and then blame the gear set both in the classroom (as a teacher) and in the field (as an ASE Certified Technician). Again my .02

Blackout is having a whine issue with the 4.10 install in his 2012 Super Snake and I told him the same thing. I've had gear sets out as many as 4 times before I was satisfied with the install and I believe that's what his problem is, a Tech (actually, two of them now/same dealership) that doesn't want to repeat the job multiple times and just blames the gear as a bad set rather than take blame himself. I've offered to inspect the gears to see if I can spot a problem but I'm not holding my breath (on finding a problem). The first install ended with a ratcheting noise but no whine. The second install had a whine and now he's reporting a ractheting noise. The first Tech reinstalled his Shelby 3.73 gears and they WHINED! No whine with it from Shelby, but a whine when the 1st Tech reinstalled which tells me the Tech doesn't know what he's doing (obvious by the first failed attempt at a install).

I totally agree with you that in MOST cases it will be a inept Tech, not a bad gear set. I've installed HUNDREDS of gears and have never ever EVER had a bad gear set. I've had them whine which resulted in me pulling it back down and resetting something (pinion bearing pre-load, pinion depth, back-lash, carrier bearing pre-load, etc. etc. etc.

On a side note, I see you're a CA Pacific Coast resident that was/is in the field and taught Auto Tech.

Me too..

I'm also a ASE Master Tech + L-1/Advanced Level + Alternate Fuels + AC R&R, etc., a GM certified (Master) Delco-Tech, and a Certified Instructor with California BAR for the CACC/Smog Course. I taught EMD 1-5 at a Private Post-secondary school for a few years before retiring due to a bad back injury. I taught up in Fremont CA, worked in Monterey, Pacific Grove and Salinas CA for most of my adult life so I'm wondering if by some slim chance we worked at the same school. It was Sequioa Institute when I worked there, now it's Wyo Tech (i.e. Carinthian Colleges).

Just curious,

Phill Pollard

• 1 year later...

Archived