TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Watts Link, LCA, UCA installation

NMAv

I do not have access to a lift, so I will be doing everything in my garage with either ramps or jack stands. I here the Watts Link is best installed when using ramps (or a lift wherein the car is lifted by the wheel) as this makes it easier to position everything. How about the LCA and UCA? I've never installed either and assume I can just remove the old, install the new. The LCA seem like they are fairly easy to access. The OCA looks like it could be a pain in the @ss to get to and torque everything down properly. Any recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated.

Really need to get a New Mexico group together so we can do these types of things en mas, with cold beverages etc.

Thanks in advance,

NMAv

I here the Watts Link is best installed when using ramps (or a lift wherein the car is lifted by the wheel) as this makes it easier to position everything. How about the LCA and UCA?

The Roush UCA was a PITA for me. If you have a different vendor then some of this may not apply. You won't be able to use ramps because you need the axle to drop down some to get to the UCA bolts. You'll also have to lower the gas tank a bit to get the old UCA out from under the car. The tank bolts are torx and are in there tight. I removed them all and replaced them with regular bolts. I nearly stripped the torx bolt head getting them off! You will cuss loudly.

If you have a flexible head torque wrench that will go to 129 ft. lbs. you'll be able to properly torque the bushing on the UCA. My torque wrench isn't flexible so I tried a universal adapter and it was still difficult. I ended up using an XL wrench and tightened it as tight as I could get it.

Archived