TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Should I be concerned?

Pulled the valve covers this week to do some mods and noticed scoring on about half of the cam lobes. They are quite visible but not deep enough to feel. Engine has 7400 miles on it, factory oil and filters, changed every year.

Pics?

Tried putting pics on here a couple of times - never worked so I quit trying. I find as I get older I have less and less tolerance for things that don't work. Probably why I have such a marvelous relationship with things federal. :censored:

Going to Dearborn?

• 4 weeks later...

This sounds similar to the cam "galling" that some people experienced on my other/track car. The K20A3 Honda motor (2.0L I4 DOHC 160hp) that came in the 2002-2005 Civic Si was rated to use 5w-20 motor oil. This same motor was used in the base model Acura RSX. In late 2002 and early 2003, some owners who were beginning to mod were finding bad galling on the cam lobes. In 2004 Honda finally halted recommendation of the 5w-20 oil, but still would not change the rating for that motor. Anyone who used a 5w30 or 5w-40, which were mainly the modded cars, never had any of these issues. No idea if any of this applies here, other than it sounds similar. The fact that Motorcraft oil has not had the best reviews from some of the UOAs done by owners on this site is the connecting piece for me.

Archived