TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hard Starting

09SVT500

new memeber here and i have a quick question. my car ( 2009 GT500) has a hard time starting when it is hot. when the car is cold is fires instantly as any other car would but when the car is up to temperature and you shut it down it has a hard time starting back up. the car has done it since it was stock and now has a pulley + jlt and tune. when it finally does start there is a very strong exhaust odor (smells very rich) but only upon start, once running it smells fine (dyno proves the car isnt running rich). we cant seem to figure out what would be causing it to start hard and ANY ideas/theories would be apprecited. its almost as if the car is flooding itself out when hot. thanks for the help guys!

Is the tune stock? OBD II cars will run in open loop when they are cold, which will have a slightly rich mixture. When it's warmed up, it wll run in closed loop and adjust the fuel mixture accordingly. Since I understand you're issue happens when it's hot, it makes me believe that the current tune is adding too much fuel during closed loop operation. A small amount extra isn't a big deal with the engine running, but could cause trouble upon starting.

Another idea, could be a vapor lock type of situation, where the fuel begins to vaporize before being injected into the engine. Does the issue occur more when the tank is low?

The tune is not stock anymore but has done it since it was stock. The car does seem to do it slightly more when the tank is low but not significantly. It's more a heat issue. All the gauges read normal though. The car just seems to throw to much fuel in when starting when it's hot

The tune is not stock anymore but has done it since it was stock. The car does seem to do it slightly more when the tank is low but not significantly. It's more a heat issue. All the gauges read normal though. The car just seems to throw to much fuel in when starting when it's hot

I dropped the car off at the dealership today, I tol them to keep it as long as necessary to fix it. I just broke my ankle and the car was my DD so as of now I can't drive it anyway so it was good timing for me just tongi ahead and let them have it. I'll keep you updated with the feedback they give me (it's always nice to have a second opinion because the mechanics around here usually just try and push things under the rug) thanks for all the help guys!

Its great to have to car up and running well again. Another benefit that no one was expecting is the fuel mileage has skyrocketed! I was averaging (before i had it fixed) 13.5 mpg when the tank was empty (i drive 90% city) and now my last tank of gas was 19 mpg! same driving conitions/styles. for a car that makes 540 WHP to average that was pretty exciting haha

Archived