TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TRACTION PROBLEM?

I have a 2008 SGT Coupe with about 20K miles on it. Koni Yellow shocks/struts set at full soft (makes ride a bit softer than stock FRPP shocks). Other tires and suspension stock for SGT. Lately, it seems like I'm having trouble with rear tire spin (seriously!). Coming off stoplights, the rears begin to break loose, and I'm not really getting on it hard - just trying to keep up with the SUV next to me! Looks like they still have over half the tread depth. Any ideas? Doesn't look like the tires need replacement, but are there better ones for the stock rims? Would GT 500 style rims/tires get me better traction? All advice appreciated.

The GT500 wheels would allow you to run a wider tires; up to 295s if you want. The stock KDWS tires are okay, but not spectacular. There are stickier tires out there for a higher price. Or just keep the Bullitts and run sticky 255/45 18 tires.

The SGT does produce quite a bit of low to mid range torque, and traction issues are common. Either leave the TCS on, or swap out the LCAs and use wider tires.

• 4 weeks later...

PROBLEM SOLVED, what I THINK I learned!

I had set the rebound adjustment on the Koni Yellows at full soft, to make the car more "wife friendly" and suitable as a daily driver. (I'm 60 and drive about 35 minutes to and from work.) When I first installed them, everything seemed great, ride handling, and traction. It seems that after about 10,000 miles, the shocks had loosened slightly. I reset them to 1 full turn from "full solft". The ride only stiffened slightly, but the handling improved and the traction improved significantly! Felt like when I first bought the car! My guess is, that after a break in period, the shock rebound was set a bit light for the FRPP "K" springs, and they were acting more like worn or wimpy shocks, and not damping the spring rebound action sufficiently. I would think that the moral of this story is, if you want a softer ride, you should probably install slightly softer springs as well, and not try to do it all with shocks/struts alone. (All disclaimers apply! I'm not a mechanic or engineer.) I'm now thinking of switching to the FRPP "P" or Ford "Bulllit" springs and keeping the Koni's. I would really like to find a good book or article on suspension tuning, as this has tweaked my interest in the subject. Any suggestions appreciated.

Archived