TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I'm Back with a new ride

Dunedindon#5481

Well, after making the major mistake of selling my 2007 Shelby GT a couple of years ago, that I am still kicking myself about, I've gotten back into the fold with a 2007 Vista Blue GT500. I was lucky enough to find this one in Sarasota, at a Buick dealer of all places, with only 1074 miles on it. It was in perfect condition and was a testament to the guy who owned it before me.

Prior to owning this beauty I ventured to the dark side and had a 1999 Corvette C5 convertible. It was a nice ride but not even close to what the Shelby's are. I owned the C5 for about 7 months and that was enough for me to start looking for another Shelby. I consider myself very lucky to find this one and it is all that I could ask for and more.

I have been enjoying every moment of polishing it up and started modding it right away. That to me is half the fun of owning these cars and I am in the process of making it mine.

I am so happy to be back with the Shelby folks and look forward to some new events. I was lucky enough to attend the Horse Power on the Horse Farm event in Oviedo, FL for a couple of years with my Shelby GT and am looking for some new events to attend with my GT500.

Although I loved my Shelby GT, the GT500 has some major upgrades that I am really beginning to appreciate. Especially the factory SCd 5.4 and the Brembo brakes. The one thing I'm not fond of is the ride height. What were they thinking when they put the back end up 3 inches over the tires. That just doesn't look good and is getting changed here in the next week or so. Besides that everything else is all that I was hoping for and more that I could ask.

Great to be back.

Don

When I picked her up.

P4010248_small.jpg

P4010245_small.jpg

A little mod to the coil covers that I saw on the forum.

P4010242_small.jpg

After a couple of mods

IMG_9569_small.jpg

Definitely time for some lowering shocks.

IMG_9576_small.jpg

Very nice touch on the valve covers. That is one of the best parts I love about my 2012 GT500 is the painted covers. That paint looks beautiful!! So deep in color in those photos. Glad to see you have come back to this side.

Welcome back Don and with Tungsten stripes, the fastest, bestest and way coolest Gt500 yet produced.

Enjoy.

Nice to hear from a fellow Tungsten stripe owner. From what I hear they are pretty rare which is that much better.

Thanks all for the kind words. It's always great to come back home. I remember how much fun this forum was when I was posting back when. Always good people and good information to be had.

welcome back. 1K miles on an '07? wow.

How were the vette forums compared to this one?

SLC

The Vette forums were ok but I never felt like I was as welcome as I do here on the Shelby forums. Vette people were good folks, they always wave at each other, that's a good thing. I don't have much complaints on the Vette. It was a great car but just not where I'm at in the car world. Maybe if I was running a Z06 or something like that but the regular C5 wasn't what I wanted.

Congrats!!!!!!!!

Can not believe you sold the Shelby GT, I must say I loved your Shelby GT, but as you can see I am biased..........

Good to be back I am sure!!!!!

You have to give us a comparison, most that have had both prefer the GT/SC

Yea, I know, like I said I still kick myself for letting it go. Luckily I sold it to a guy who was as passionate about it as I was.

The GT500 is great. It's more of a smooth power delivery. Plenty of power and it's great knowing that it's factory supercharged with a really strong bottom end. That's one thing I always worried about with my GT/SC. The 4.6 is a good motor but stock it just didn't give me the confidence that the 5.4 does. I'll have to let you know more when I get it lowered, right now it drives great but I feel like it's up in the air where the Shelby GT always felt like it was planted on the ground. I loved that feeling so that's what I'm hoping I'll get back to when it's got the Eibachs mounted. The 6 speed is great and I have to say way back in 06 when they were teasing us with the new Shelby's it was the GT500 that filled my dreams. So the fact that I could find one with such low milage for the pricing I paid was a dream come true. Believe me, I'll always miss my Shelby GT/SC but this as good as I could hope for a substitute.

Again, thanks for all the kind words. It's great fun to be associated with folks that are so passionate about the cars they own and so kind to the people who own them.

Don

Don, you're completely right about this forum. I have used approx. 50 different car related forums, and this one is the best. Seriously, you won't find more down to earth, car loving people anywhere else online. Welcome back again.

On another note, the 2007 did have a few TSBs that you might look into. I think the only real issue were some of the early builds had clutches that weren't installed adequately (lack of lubrication on the input shaft).

Finally, if I may make a suggestion. Your new GT500 weighs more than your old SGT, and I would bet that the Eibach springs you're looking at won't improve handling all that much. I would recommend springs with a higher spring rate than the Pro-kit. If you need help finding a set, just send a PM and I'll help you out.

Greg

Don, you're completely right about this forum. I have used approx. 50 different car related forums, and this one is the best. Seriously, you won't find more down to earth, car loving people anywhere else online. Welcome back again.

On another note, the 2007 did have a few TSBs that you might look into. I think the only real issue were some of the early builds had clutches that weren't installed adequately (lack of lubrication on the input shaft).

Finally, if I may make a suggestion. Your new GT500 weighs more than your old SGT, and I would bet that the Eibach springs you're looking at won't improve handling all that much. I would recommend springs with a higher spring rate than the Pro-kit. If you need help finding a set, just send a PM and I'll help you out.

Greg

Thanks for the info on the TSBs. I've been reading about them. I'll have to look into the input shaft lubrication. On the springs, I already have the Eibach pros in hand and was getting them installed next week. I guess I'll give them a try and if they don't get the job done I'll get with you on some other ideas.

Don

OK, since this is my first GT500, what is causing the big chuck feeling when I'm accelerating away from a turn and I hit even the littlest uneven part of the road. I mean sometimes it feels like I ran into a 12 inch deep pothole and there is nothing there but a small bump in the road. Is that the trailing arm or something in the linkage of the rear end that I need to change?

Thanks,

Don

Archived