TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Thinking and Thinking!

I have been thinking about my garage queen KR. I love this car because of it's exclustivety and looks but now that these new Stangs are out Im itching. I mean my KR is just that,a garage queen and I love her for that. I guess the best of both worlds would be to have her and a Mustang that I can actually drive. I need to have a garage queen because thats the type of guy I am. I cant imagine driving her on the freeway like I do my Jeep Wrangler and hear rocks hitting the car at least 5 times a day, and already a broken windshield from the Winter crap NY roads like I do with my Jeep. I am intrigued with this new Mustang, and I must say even the V6! My interest lies in a V6 vert to have fun in and save some gas in the meantime. Or maybe even a new Shelby or maybe even getting more into it with a Super Snake. I don't know. I get bored quickly and need to have that new Mustang rush. It's also that the only thing that seperates this KR from any nickle and dime Mustang is the KR on the stripe that everyone thinks is the same as any Mustang. The hood doesnt even seperate it unless you are a true Mustanger. Especially after I recently killed this Dodge hemi in a race and he pulls next to me to ask if my car is supercharged. The KR is just not unique enough in the looks department. People see stripes but they have seen that on Mustangs for years. Now of all the years I have been around I have never seen a Super Snake. Im just thinking. I do love her but is it time for a change...I don't know.

Why not just get another Mustang to play around with? :shrug: That was my plan to get a new Boss 302, but I think I'll just wait for a great deal on a low mile pre owned gem like I did with my KR. Don't get rid of your KR. These cars are by far the sexiest looking Mustangs and have the same performance as the newer GT500s. I've owned alot of Mustangs over the years and I can honestly say that my KR is a keeper, unless I get a great deal on a Super Snake. :drool:

Mustang Scotty, keep the faith bro! I was at the gas station (there's a surprise), with the KR and a Hinda civic, all tricked out, was next to me. The owner came out of the gas station again eyeing up the KR and finally said to me, you know, I'm not normally a mustang fan, but your car looks super nice. We started talking. He was a well spoken guy who obviously put a lot of performance mods on his civic.

The kr is a head turner. Now, I'm not saying take the car out of stock against your wishes, but I lowered the car as I posted previously. The car sits low and mean. I do believe that as long as you have all the stock parts, you can mod as you wish. This was told to me by steve at Shelby early on in my kr purchase. Do as you will w the mods but the car looks fantastic lowered.

I think if you have the money a vert 2011 gt would fit your needs nicely. 412hp from the factory. You put a blower on it and you've got an instant monster. Or the v6 as you mentioned to save gas.

These are great cars IMHO. Maybe not the fastest. But real unique. Even if you are not a mustang afficionado. And you can make it the fastest, or one of the faster, with putting the tvs blower on the kr that ford racing just knocked 1000 bucks off the price. It's a simple bolt on, no tune required. You don't need to tune the kr until going above 650rwhp. And then, the tune is required because have to put a bigger MAF meter and the car will need to be mated to it w a tune. The tvs will also work w the stock tb, but you'll get another 25hp with the L&M 66mm tb is by far the best out there. But stock will work. It's a simple bolt on and I'm dying to do it. But won't. Money. Wife. She would shoot me where I stand on delivery.

These really are unique cars Scotty. Keep the faith!!

I feel your pain Scotty. As for me, there is no way I'd ever get rid of the KR. Its just so special, relatively unique, and still turns heads every time I drive her.

Like you, I'd still like to get some other special 'stang to drive. I'm really drooling over the new 800hp snake. I know that when I finally see one, a convertible, I'll bite the bullet.

But the KR stays in the garage, other than driving it one or two days every week.

Scotty: Maybe you just need start up the KR hear that rumble and take her for a drive.

Candidly I don't understand your logic. You have an itch to buy another Mustang and sell the KR because the KR is not unique enough and looks to much like other Mustangs? Correct me if I'm wrong but won't a new Mustang look like other Mustangs too? The KR looks like a Mustang because it is a Mustang. I'm sure there were guys in 1967 and 1968 that got tired of their Shelby GT500s and GT500KRs because, well they looked like other Mustangs. I bet they wish they could take that decision back.

Your KR is one of 1600 car produced. In Vista Blue its one of 160 or so produced. Period. End of story. Likely the last pre title Shelby produced where SAI is a manaufacture of record.

The average Joe doesn't know, care or understand or appreciate it. But car guys do. Car guys, especially muscle car guys know what the KR is. Besides did you buy the KR for you or other people? People who know cars know what it is. Those that don't know cars, who cares what that think anyway?

I get compliments on the KR all the time. A young guy yesterday complimented the car. Said he loves my Shelby KR, awesome ride!. Its not quite as "flashy" as the SS but its just a handsome muscular car and perfectly understated in my mind but that exhaust note announces its a car to be taken seriously. It exudes performance and great looks without having to shout about it with 20" rims and side scoops. Nothing against 20" rims, I like them but I like the Aloca 18" KR rims just as much. They make the KR unique.

The KR is even more unique then the SS. Performance wise, all I'll say is that if you really need more then 580 hp at the crank for the street, God bless. Yesterday, I nailed it from a roll in first gear from about 10 mph and the rear broke loose and the KR took off like a rocket.

The only car I actually think may be as exclusive is the new GT350 and the new LS Boss 302. But there again, one is a post title car the other is not a Shelby.

Do what makes you happy.

I love my KR.

I think alot of us are worried about stone chips on our cars. I only have 700 miles on mine but I still what to drive it all the time. So my solution for that problem was I found a 08 white california special convertable, automatic which is in great condtion with only 12k when I bought it. I payed mid 20k for it, I know its not a KR but it really helps me to get out and have fun and not really worry to much about stone chips, plus there are not to many gt/cs conv. around here. 300hp not really impressive after 540hp, but it will still spin the tires and I just got my KR mufflers in the mail today so that will help with the exhaust tone for sure, and the added bonus is my wife drives it all the time on sunny days.

Ron

Thanks for putting me in check. Love your comment and everyones comments (almost) I will keep her.

Mustang Scotty, keep the faith bro! I was at the gas station (there's a surprise), with the KR and a Hinda civic, all tricked out, was next to me. The owner came out of the gas station again eyeing up the KR and finally said to me, you know, I'm not normally a mustang fan, but your car looks super nice. We started talking. He was a well spoken guy who obviously put a lot of performance mods on his civic.

The kr is a head turner. Now, I'm not saying take the car out of stock against your wishes, but I lowered the car as I posted previously. The car sits low and mean. I do believe that as long as you have all the stock parts, you can mod as you wish. This was told to me by steve at Shelby early on in my kr purchase. Do as you will w the mods but the car looks fantastic lowered.

I think if you have the money a vert 2011 gt would fit your needs nicely. 412hp from the factory. You put a blower on it and you've got an instant monster. Or the v6 as you mentioned to save gas.

These are great cars IMHO. Maybe not the fastest. But real unique. Even if you are not a mustang afficionado. And you can make it the fastest, or one of the faster, with putting the tvs blower on the kr that ford racing just knocked 1000 bucks off the price. It's a simple bolt on, no tune required. You don't need to tune the kr until going above 650rwhp. And then, the tune is required because have to put a bigger MAF meter and the car will need to be mated to it w a tune. The tvs will also work w the stock tb, but you'll get another 25hp with the L&M 66mm tb is by far the best out there. But stock will work. It's a simple bolt on and I'm dying to do it. But won't. Money. Wife. She would shoot me where I stand on delivery.

These really are unique cars Scotty. Keep the faith!!

I don't quite understand the logic either. If you feel the KR is not unique, then no other Mustang will feel unique. I will guarantee you one thing though, if you sell your KR, you will kick yourself in the ass at some point in time in the future!!!

I have no desire to get rid of mine. I do like other vehicles, Boss 302 LS, 289 Cobra, Ford GT!! But I feel very lucky to have the opportunity to own a KR. Yes, this KR is rare, hot, fast, and such a blast to drive. Now, if I become more successful in the future and can afford another car, watch out Ford GT!! But I'm definitely keeping my KR.

So, my advise Mustang Scotty, is DO NOT SELL IT!!!! :rant2:

09kr0058: you can have near 800hp now. Just add a whipple.

Yeah, I know, but I'd never do any major mod to my baby. Its almost as if I did, I'd be slapping Carroll in the face saying "this just wasn't good enough for me"!

Scotty, I think the reverse. I think were Carroll really in the drivers seat, he would have made a different KR. But he wasn't. Ford was. As such, I don't think he views the mods as a slap in the face. He knows better than any of us that the end result was a more refined ride for the higher end consumer. But I don't think he would have gone as far as Ford did on that refinement. The car does lack in some performance aspects that I think he would have liked to beef up.

The KR, in my view, really is that age old argument of a gt500 w some bolt ons. The big thing that really separates the KR from the rest of the pack is that it is a pre-title, numbered car w SAI as the mfg of record. Nobody can take that away from the KR.

But what does that mean? It only means something on resale. And, money permitting, I and probably nobody else here is planning on selling their KR anytime soon. It's going to take years for the exclusivity of the car in terms of resale value to really shine through. Yeah, if you sell it today, you'll get more than a comparable gt500 with the same miles. But the exponential difference in value won't be for years to come.

In the meantime, getting from point A to B, I don't want the car sitting in the garage with all the wants that I wish the car had. Someone told me years ago that unless you are filthy, burn the money rich, anyone buying a car for an investment is stupid. Ok, if you've got 58million in the bank and you want to spend a million bucks on a rare 1960's muscle car with 2000 original miles that is going to sit with your collection of other rare cars, fine. Maybe you'll turn a profit.

If I had the money and other sports cars in the barn, like some that have the Ford GT here do, maybe I wouldn't touch the KR. There probably is some intrinsic value to a car that has never been touched. Probably so. Even if you take it out of stock and can put it back to stock, there is probably a slight difference in value between the two.

But this is all in theory. It could all mean zip nada nothing as the years roll on. Who knows if we will even have gas in the future? Yes, we will have gas in 20 years, but at what price? $200 per barrel? $250? 10 bucks...15 bucks a gallon? Nobody might not want anything to do with these type cars in twenty years.

It's not that the sky is falling. It's that if any of us are owning these cars with the intention of resale value, we are gambling bigtime. There are a lot better investments than cars with a documented and proven rate of return.

If I had other cars in the garage, would I modify the KR? I know that if things really bothered me about the car enough, I probably would. I think it would shift the line of annoyance considerably before taking it out of stock in having other cars, but if it bothered me enough, I would do it.

I talked with Carl at the Shelby mod shop in las Vegas on a few occasions. Yes, according to him, they have modified many KR's. They go to that mod shop across the street from Shelby when someone wants to mod their KR but don't want one of the pckgs that Shelby advertises. Many ppl don't want all that comes in those pckgs. They, for example, just want the tvs. But you can't get the tvs from SAI directly w/ out a bunch of other stuff in those SAI pckgs.

I don't think it's a slap in the face to Shelby. He knows what the car is and isn't. But I think any thought proccess of taking the car out of stock should be realized for what it is....resale. Not Carroll's vision. I would say it was Carroll's vision if he would have had more of a say in the development of the KR or the gt500. But these are Fords. Period dot. And the thing that separates the KR, is only the pre-title stuff w a few nice exclusive bolt ons. I love my KR but don't want to worship it!! My wife thinks I'm a little goofy as it is!! I take out that leaf blower that I bought as a suggestion in a previous thread, and she shakes her head.

I'm sorry Imatk. I was just going through my yearly wanting of a new vehicle. I do though truly want a Ford GT. Someday I will sell all to have it. I love my KR but the thrill of driving my KR "once in a while" would be that much more with my dream of "The Pace car for an entire Company"................................

Yes I was being sarcastical.... sorry you didn't pick up on that.

Nice Video Scotty...thanks for sharing. I've got almost 10K on my 09KR and I love every second I drive it. Its frustrating when I can't drive it (winter/rain) but I take advantage of every moment I can. Carrol made every car to enjoy and have fun with it. I even enjoy when it sits in the garage! A real people attractor and conversation piece. I say keep her and do what it takes to make you feel good and proud to own a Shelby KR. We only live once.

Happy Motoring... :peelout:

It's your car. I Agree do what makes you happy.

In my mind there is no reason for more than 600hp for the street. The KR is unique in a number of respects. One is that it's a joint venture between Ford, SVT and SAI just like in '68. It's a very balanced package. Great power,handling and comfortable ride.

The SS is all about extreme power and stiff suspension.

I prefer to let my KR just be a KR as it came from SAI. SAI offered the SS if you insisted on more power. I think many that bought a KR bought it because of the numerous factors that make it unique and a special vehicle when they could have had a SS for less or the same $. I could have had a SS. I chose the KR. I think it's a more special vehicle for many reasons. It's 580hp was enough for me.

The only reason I would choose the tvs over the whipple is that with the whipple you lose the strut tower brace. The car has enough body roll/twist/suspension challenges as it is. I'd love the extra hp, but as real one stated, anything over 600hp is kind of a waste. Although, that tvs is dripping in my mind every day! Would love to do that.

But the extra hp of whipple vs tvs is not worth it losing that brace.

In my mind there is no reason for more than 600hp for the street...

..I prefer to let my KR just be a KR as it came from SAI. SAI offered the SS if you insisted on more power...

I wouldn't have any use for more power in a street car. If I turn the TC off and punch second, the car just wags it's tail at 40 mph... With the TC on, I think it's just wasting the rear brakes to scrub off available power. Who needs more go in a street car? What we need - is less weight and more traction...

That's way too much money. I can get a KR cheaper than that with less miles. Ill tell you what I do like though....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-2007-FORD-MUSTANG-SHELBY-SUPERSNAKE-CONV-MINT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f09299102QQitemZ270736658690QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

Just buy my KR to drive and keep your as a garage queen. $61,900.....982 miles.

Scotty,

Keep the KR and go and get yourself a new V6 vert to beat around in.

I rented one for the 2011 Shelby Bash and had a blast with it on the track. It's peppy enough, good on gas, and just plain fun with the top down.

Archived