TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake Warning Light Help

cestalnaker

I recently purchased and am restoring a white 1989 Dodge Shelby Dakota. I have already performed or had performed most mechanical repairs including the brakes. My shop assures me the brakes are fine now and they do work fine, but my Antilock and Brake (Parking?) warning lights are still on. From the internet research I've done, this is likely because of the primitive Kelsey Hayes(?) rear antilock brake system failing. What I want to know is exactly what needs to be replaced in order to make the antilock system work properly, or at a minimum, get the warning lights to go off without resorting to just removing the light bulbs or that kind of fix. I already have a good chunk of change in the truck, so it's annoying having the warning lights on like it's ready to break down. The lights would also be a problem if I went to sell it at some point after I finish it. What exactly needs to be replaced to fix the problem; what parts would be required, including OEM part numbers; and are those parts still available from Dodge or the aftermarket? I'd appreciate the help. Thanks!

I recently purchased and am restoring a white 1989 Dodge Shelby Dakota. I have already performed or had performed most mechanical repairs including the brakes. My shop assures me the brakes are fine now and they do work fine, but my Antilock and Brake (Parking?) warning lights are still on. From the internet research I've done, this is likely because of the primitive Kelsey Hayes(?) rear antilock brake system failing. What I want to know is exactly what needs to be replaced in order to make the antilock system work properly, or at a minimum, get the warning lights to go off without resorting to just removing the light bulbs or that kind of fix. I already have a good chunk of change in the truck, so it's annoying having the warning lights on like it's ready to break down. The lights would also be a problem if I went to sell it at some point after I finish it. What exactly needs to be replaced to fix the problem; what parts would be required, including OEM part numbers; and are those parts still available from Dodge or the aftermarket? I'd appreciate the help. Thanks!

It could be as simple as a fuse being blown (to the anti-lock controller). I've had that happen on my 92 Dakota. So check fuses and fusible links. If you have a "power center" block under the hood with large plug in type fuses, check there carefully and remove the bolts securing the block so you can look at the underside to see if a wire or terminal has corroded through. I've had that happen also.

Barry

Archived