TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Underhood light for 2011 GT500

KEYSTONE

Any suggestions for how to put a light on the underside of the hood? Somehow, my old muscle cars had a hood light that would turn on when the hood was lifted, allowing you to check the oil or show someone what was under the hood. Such technology was somehow lost by 2011, as my GT500 lacks an underhood light......Suggestions please!

Ok, let's come at this from a different angle. Does anyone have a newer Ford of any kind that has a hood light? Let's say a 2010 or newer model? I'll just order the part from the dealer and install it. Just a simple 12 V hookup to the fuse box under the hood. I'm betting the newer models don't have the mercury switch of the older ones, where the bead of mercury rolled into a position to complete the electrical circuit when the hood was raised.

I had a friend with a firebreathing BB Chevy transplanted into an early-70's Camaro. The engine generated so much torque that when he nailed the throttle from a stop light, the thrust of acceleration would move the mercury in the hood light housing and make the hood light turn on. You could see the light coming from the front wheel-well at every upshift. Pretty slick.... :woohoo:

I had a friend with a firebreathing BB Chevy transplanted into an early-70's Camaro. The engine generated so much torque that when he nailed the throttle from a stop light, the thrust of acceleration would move the mercury in the hood light housing and make the hood light turn on. You could see the light coming from the front wheel-well at every upshift. Pretty slick.... :woohoo:

That's awesome...

I completely understand why there is no hood light in these cars. What the hell you going to do under the hood anyway?? Everything that matters is computer controled anyway and the computer port in under the dash, so again I ask, what are you going to do under the hood that you need a light? If it dies and won't start, there is a computer code and wiggleing all the wires you want under the hood aint going to make any difference anyway, so again, what do you need a light under the hood for?? You don't need to check the oil cause you change it every 3,000 to 5,000 miles, right, so again, why do you need a light under the hood?? You have installed hood struts so you don't use the prop rod any more, so, again, what do you need a hood light for?? Anything I missed???? :headscratch:

I completely understand why there is no hood light in these cars. What the hell you going to do under the hood anyway?? Everything that matters is computer controled anyway and the computer port in under the dash, so again I ask, what are you going to do under the hood that you need a light? If it dies and won't start, there is a computer code and wiggleing all the wires you want under the hood aint going to make any difference anyway, so again, what do you need a light under the hood for?? You don't need to check the oil cause you change it every 3,000 to 5,000 miles, right, so again, why do you need a light under the hood?? You have installed hood struts so you don't use the prop rod any more, so, again, what do you need a hood light for?? Anything I missed???? :headscratch:

Wow man, can't a person ask advice and/or personalize their ride? Chill...

Wow man, can't a person ask advice and/or personalize their ride? Chill...

+1

It would be nice to be able to see and disconnected the battery when it throws codes at track night and I have to reset the computer because modded 2011's love to set codes and wont clear unless you disconnect the battery. I also pull the IC pump relay and run a jumper so it still circulates coolant wile the car is off and cooling down between rounds. So currently have to have a strap a LED light on my head and I would benefit from it.

+1

It would be nice to be able to see and disconnected the battery when it throws codes at track night and I have to reset the computer because modded 2011's love to set codes and wont clear unless you disconnect the battery. I also pull the IC pump relay and run a jumper so it still circulates coolant wile the car is off and cooling down between rounds. So currently have to have a strap a LED light on my head and I would benefit from it.

+1000

I agree, a light would be nice. If anything it would help to show my underhood detailing at a meet/show...

I'm proud of what it looks like under the hood, and most folks want to get a look under there, so YEAH - a light would be nice.

Oh, and just because we change our oil like lunatics every 3-5K miles, doesn't mean you shouldn't be checking your fluid levels (all of them) from time to time.

It was a rhetorical question :confused: Just having some fun. Guess I was only one ammused??

I'll admit, the sarcasm was lost on me too! I was like... :blink: But glad to see it was much ado over nothing!

JD you might have a promising career as a dramatic actor!! :yup:

Archived