TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clunk pulling out of driveway

bpmurr

I've noticed this pretty much every time now I get a cluck pulling out of my driveway that is on an elevated angle. The noise can be petty loud or quiet but it's consistent in volume. The car isn't bottoming out though. Any thoughts on what it could be?

1) The car has been sitting a few days each time

2) It's been cold

3) I've got about 550 miles on it at the moment.

I've noticed this pretty much every time now I get a cluck pulling out of my driveway that is on an elevated angle. The noise can be petty loud or quiet but it's consistent in volume. The car isn't bottoming out though. Any thoughts on what it could be?

1) The car has been sitting a few days each time

2) It's been cold

3) I've got about 550 miles on it at the moment.

I had 08 GT500 had same problem. After the investigation found play on rear axle shaft and diffrential. Noise was solved by replacing the diffrential assembly with truetrack. You can keep the same gear just replace the diffretial leave the pinon gear alone. I hope this helps

I tried to be very careful and while backing out today and I think what I'm hearing is the tires while I turn the wheel at a low speed. Which makes sense since they make a lot of racket until they get hot.

I tried to be very careful and while backing out today and I think what I'm hearing is the tires while I turn the wheel at a low speed. Which makes sense since they make a lot of racket until they get hot.

These G:2s make a lot of noise, but you would feel them grip/sliding through the wheel and the entire front end would "shudder".

It's the scrub radius of the car. When the wheels are fully turned they are not exactly parallel. When you are backing out, one of the front wheels is fighting the other. (typically the outside tire is being dragged inward). And the noise you hear is the tire skipping across the pavement. This was common on all my lowered SN-95s with the exception of the Griggs car as they correct the geometry, and my GT500 does it every day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_radius

It's the scrub radius of the car. When the wheels are fully turned they are not exactly parallel. When you are backing out, one of the front wheels is fighting the other. (typically the outside tire is being dragged inward). And the noise you hear is the tire skipping across the pavement. This was common on all my lowered SN-95s with the exception of the Griggs car as they correct the geometry, and my GT500 does it every day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_radius

I can see where scrub radius would effect this, but I think the issue is more one of physics regarding just the tire. Some tires are more prone to this than others, and of course scrub radius does influence it as it influences how the tires "tilt" when you turn the wheel. Thus I guess the two are tied togather.

When you turn a wide tire all the way, the outside of the tire rotates faster than the inside, thus the outside of the tire is "skipping" to keep up with the inside.

It could be any of the above mentioned issues and or just one of the stock rubber bushings causing the noise (especially if it happens more in the cold, although tires will also make this noise).

my 2010 makes that clunk sound also when i let it sit for a couple days. you can tell its going to do that when the engine isn't running, you take off the e-brake, and try to push the car with your foot...it stays exactly in place. but i'm not sure what causes it either. i'm about to go to ford for my 15,000 mile service so i'll let you know what they say

Archived