TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3.73 Gear Noise

Shelbyville

Over the winter I had the Ford dealer install several items on the car one of which was 3.73s. When the weather cleared I took the car out for a test and the noise from the rear end was terrible. When I called to make an appt. to take the car in the service writer said noise from the rear end was completely normal (said it will sound like a bearing going out) and that it will take 750 miles of gentle driving for the gears to wear in. The car is going in this afternoon. Opinions on what I should tell him? I know a ton of you on here have put in 3.73s - were they that noisy?

P. S. They were FRPP gears

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have bad gear whine and I have several thousand miles on my 3:73 install. It will not go away. I believe it is more a function of the install and setting the correct clearances. I also have heard that gears from different manufacturers will sound differently and that there are two manufacturers for FRPP gears, which one you install may make a difference. I do not know how to tell the difference but I think it is somewhere on this site.

Change the lube. use Amsoil, Redline or Royal Purple.

While you are at it change the oil in your tranny.

Will help with the noise and shifting, best part is, no vomit stink additives required.

Since you have the car in the air, if need be you can paint your rear end and pumpkin cover.

My Preference:

Performance cars 1. Redline, second choice Royal purple

Daily drivers Amsiol or Royal Purple

I installed a set of FRPP gears into my 08' , they were actually quieter than the OEM set I took out ( I also have upgraded rear control arms and bushings) . Proper install , (They seem to like Tight backlash ) good pattern, and I used a non synthetic gearlube .

Setting up a set of gears is somewhat an art , and these cars are very susceptible to gear whine due to the three link uca mounting right under the rear seat . But it can be done .

I had Maximum Velocity Performance install mine when I had it done, and he spent almost two hours measuring the gear placement and doing the formulas to make them just right. Some installers just slap them on and guestimate because it is very tedious and time consuming work to do it right, and the only thing you really risk is the noise. I would say take it to a place that cares and wants to do it right by principle. Ford dealers are the only ones I would let touch my 500, but I quickly realized, the tech's reputation is never on the line, they dont make more money for doing superior work, and they have 10 other projects they are hounded to get on ASAP. If you want it done right, find a hungry mechanic that works on our cars day in and day out, and is a stickler for detail because that is just their personality, and you will be very happy, and the work will be done right.

In fact, my new 3.55s were used off of a KR, and I expected gear noise, but there is none in my case which is unheard of with used gears.

I had a master SVT mechanic install mine and they are quiet. At highway speeds, with the top up, I can hear a little noise - nothing irritating. My new bearings were pressed. Good luck.

Over the winter I had the Ford dealer install several items on the car one of which was 3.73s. When the weather cleared I took the car out for a test and the noise from the rear end was terrible. When I called to make an appt. to take the car in the service writer said noise from the rear end was completely normal (said it will sound like a bearing going out) and that it will take 750 miles of gentle driving for the gears to wear in. The car is going in this afternoon. Opinions on what I should tell him? I know a ton of you on here have put in 3.73s - were they that noisy?

P. S. They were FRPP gears

Just had FRPP 3.73s installed a couple weeks ago and they are whisper quiet. I call BS on the "break-in" theory. I know guys who have installed new gears and raced on the same day. If installed properly, then they should not whine... or at least not to the degree that you have described.

Can you adjust backlash on a gear set that has been installed for a while and not hurt anything? I would rather try that first to reduce my noise as opposed to changing out gears.

You should have no noise from your gears . They should be able to adjust your backlash if it is not with-in tolerence.. Also blue the gears to see if you have proper tooth contact.

I have been reading about whinny gears since 2005. Every combination of opinions on the subject possible. I have installed 4.10s on my 05 Mustang. They were quite. I installed 3.73 on my 09 500 and they whine. I think its a crap shoot. What is for sure they will not magically go silent, and I don't think the installed set can be fixed.

I have been reading about whinny gears since 2005. Every combination of opinions on the subject possible. I have installed 4.10s on my 05 Mustang. They were quite. I installed 3.73 on my 09 500 and they whine. I think its a crap shoot. What is for sure they will not magically go silent, and I don't think the installed set can be fixed.

If the gears are properly cut & heat treated & installed properly there should be no noticeable noise whether there 3:00, 3:50 , 3:31 3:73 or 4;10`s

Well, just got a call from the dealer, actually the mechanic that did the work, and he says everything is fine and that it was done the way Ford instructs them to do it. Says after the gears are broken in the noise should go away.

Well, just got a call from the dealer, actually the mechanic that did the work, and he says everything is fine and that it was done the way Ford instructs them to do it. Says after the gears are broken in the noise should go away.

Post back up when that happens. I doubt that it will though.

Not surprised. It will not stop whining. Take it to someone with lots of experience and have them set the backlash to .008 and make sure the gear pattern is correct.

I have bad gear whine and I have several thousand miles on my 3:73 install. It will not go away. I believe it is more a function of the install and setting the correct clearances. I also have heard that gears from different manufacturers will sound differently and that there are two manufacturers for FRPP gears, which one you install may make a difference. I do not know how to tell the difference but I think it is somewhere on this site.

There is a noticeable improvement in noise level with Royal Purple 75W-140, no joke it helps.

... the service writer said noise from the rear end was completely normal (said it will sound like a bearing going out) and that it will take 750 miles of gentle driving for the gears to wear in.

Gears do not "wear in", they wear OUT.

Propper installation is the key to a quiet gearset. Backlash is but only ONE of the many tolerences you need to be concerned with.

I have installed more gears than I can count and I have NEVER had one leave my shop that was noisey. I HAVE pulled one or two down after a test drive to adjust whatever it was that needed adjusting due to a noisey set, but that was because *I* did something wrong on the install (and went back in and fixed it), not because "it's normal".

I call "Bullshit" on your Service Advisor.

Phill (ASE Master Certified)

Gears do not "wear in", they wear OUT.

Propper installation is the key to a quiet gearset. Backlash is but only ONE of the many tolerences you need to be concerned with.

I have installed more gears than I can count and I have NEVER had one leave my shop that was noisey. I HAVE pulled one or two down after a test drive to adjust whatever it was that needed adjusting due to a noisey set, but that was because *I* did something wrong on the install (and went back in and fixed it), not because "it's normal".

I call "Bullshit" on your Service Advisor.

Phill (ASE Master Certified)

So I take it a noise set can be fixed.

Archived