TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MUSTANG BOSS 330

1970boss302

If you read the last Motor Trend they have Ford producing a Boss 330 .

The 5.4 liter engine will be producing almost 400 horse power.

Look for the Boss 330 in 2009 after the GT 500 has run it course.

The Boss 330 has a weight disadvantage over the Camaro due to

the engine block being steel not aluminum. 300 lbs.

I don't mind a Boss 330 or 329 whichever they choose to call it. I do strongly disagree with the weight penalty. The Mustang is already heavy and if Ford can't offer an all-aluminum 5.4L in the Boss, they are sacrificing the legend of the Boss by not an all-aluminum engine. If they can't offer an aluminum 5.4L in the Boss, Ford should consider a hi-revving version of the 4.6L engine instead IMHO

I don't buy that article. The 4.6L Terminator Cobra pumped out 390 horsepower, yet they are claiming that a 5.4L "Boss" will produce 400? I don't see that happening considering they have an "off the shelf" 475hp 5.4L from the GT500 available.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't buy that article. The 4.6L Terminator Cobra pumped out 390 horsepower, yet they are claiming that a 5.4L "Boss" will produce 400? I don't see that happening considering they have an "off the shelf" 475hp 5.4L from the GT500 available.

I agree Robert. I can't see 400HP maybe 350HP with out the supercharger! But, what do I know :D

I agree Robert. I can't see 400HP maybe 350HP with out the supercharger! But, what do I know :D

Not much apparently. MT was using the 389 horsepower figure based on what the Boss 290 Falcon from Austrailia makes, which just happens to use a n/a 4V 5.4.

• 2 weeks later...

Why stop at 5.4L (330 ci)?

What about a 6.2L engine?

DEARBORN, Mich. — Ford has revived its 6.2-liter V-8 engine, dubbed the Hurricane, as part of a broader restructuring plan, according to a report in the Detroit News.

The engine will butt heads with Chrysler's SRT8 6.1-liter Hemi engine that churns out 425 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque, as well as General Motors' 403-horsepower 6.2-liter Vortec engine that powers the 2007 Cadillac Escalade.

Ford had killed the Hurricane a year ago but revived the engine three months ago to help maintain the company's leadership in the truck market. Analysts say Ford's Cleveland casting plant has received orders for a new 6.2-liter engine block, with work to begin next year.

The speculation is that the Ford engine will outgun the Hemi and may be used in other company platforms. It is unclear whether the new engine will keep the Hurricane nickname.

What this means to you: Ford needs a Hemi-style engine to capture the imagination of the public — and to hold the F-Series' lead.

Boss 380 anyone?

-Devious

Why stop at 5.4L (330 ci)?

What about a 6.2L engine?

DEARBORN, Mich. — Ford has revived its 6.2-liter V-8 engine, dubbed the Hurricane, as part of a broader restructuring plan, according to a report in the Detroit News.

The engine will butt heads with Chrysler's SRT8 6.1-liter Hemi engine that churns out 425 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque, as well as General Motors' 403-horsepower 6.2-liter Vortec engine that powers the 2007 Cadillac Escalade.

Ford had killed the Hurricane a year ago but revived the engine three months ago to help maintain the company's leadership in the truck market. Analysts say Ford's Cleveland casting plant has received orders for a new 6.2-liter engine block, with work to begin next year.

The speculation is that the Ford engine will outgun the Hemi and may be used in other company platforms. It is unclear whether the new engine will keep the Hurricane nickname.

What this means to you: Ford needs a Hemi-style engine to capture the imagination of the public — and to hold the F-Series' lead.

Boss 380 anyone?

-Devious

Don't think the Hurricane will be in anything except trucks for a while.

I have read the article Big engines but I still question why FoMoCo is going that route when they have the leverage of all that engineering talent from the mergers/aquisitions of the past decade. Why not stretch the envelope in the same way that the first mod's did? Remember they did the 4 cam 4.6 n/a first and backed it down from there. That powerplant is still top 10 in the world in terms of efficiancy/power and it weighs next to nothing. can they not see that while styling is making some headway at GM, the lack of leading edge engineering options is killing them? In a world were $50+ a barrel oil is here to stay(and it is) the company has to create the same perception as the imports. Perception is everything. JD and his ilk can put out all the great rankings but if Joe and Jane average don't get it, the Blue is gonna keep sliding. I htink lil' Bill needs to get out of the way and put a car guy(Coletti?) in charge. They have all the numbers people they need but without a stratigic leader this is gonna get worse. :sos:

• 1 month later...

I don't mind a Boss 330 or 329 whichever they choose to call it. I do strongly disagree with the weight penalty. The Mustang is already heavy and if Ford can't offer an all-aluminum 5.4L in the Boss, they are sacrificing the legend of the Boss by not an all-aluminum engine. If they can't offer an aluminum 5.4L in the Boss, Ford should consider a hi-revving version of the 4.6L engine instead IMHO

well i agree with you but i should make mention

all of the original boss cars had iron blocks. The block on my 69 boss 302 is iron as long as the heads are aluminum, it wont be too bad.

just make sure then thing can REV

How hard would it be for Ford to just stroke the 4.6 to 5.0. That would be perfect I think becuase if we just had a cast iron 5.4 the only difference between the boss and the shelby would be ones super charged and the others N/A. The after market performance of these would be borring slap on a super charger and you have a shelby. And If ford would stroke the 4.6 to 5.0 we can still keep the name Boss 302. Slap on gt500 heads, 6-spd manual, and a special intake and 400 hp be no problem. Be lighter then the shelby with prob better power to weight ratio and it would be the perfect inbetween model of the gt and gt500. A stroke block from the GT and the heads and tranny from the GT500, how perfect is that.

• 2 weeks later...

How hard would it be for Ford to just stroke the 4.6 to 5.0. That would be perfect I think becuase if we just had a cast iron 5.4 the only difference between the boss and the shelby would be ones super charged and the others N/A. The after market performance of these would be borring slap on a super charger and you have a shelby. And If ford would stroke the 4.6 to 5.0 we can still keep the name Boss 302. Slap on gt500 heads, 6-spd manual, and a special intake and 400 hp be no problem. Be lighter then the shelby with prob better power to weight ratio and it would be the perfect inbetween model of the gt and gt500. A stroke block from the GT and the heads and tranny from the GT500, how perfect is that.

Sounds like the FR 5.0L 4V modular crate-racer motor, but that was +/- 450 HP for about $23K (motor). But, yes, I agree.... no reason no to do a 5.0L Boss302. It would be a little under-square, but with Manley h-beams, etc. should rev to 6,800 or so easily and not be all that expensive. That would also be a nice tribute to the Boss302 of the past. The weight of the GT (or lighter with deopts) and 400HP would be really nice for $35-37K!

Sounds like the FR 5.0L 4V modular crate-racer motor, but that was +/- 450 HP for about $23K (motor). But, yes, I agree.... no reason no to do a 5.0L Boss302. It would be a little under-square, but with Manley h-beams, etc. should rev to 6,800 or so easily and not be all that expensive. That would also be a nice tribute to the Boss302 of the past. The weight of the GT (or lighter with deopts) and 400HP would be really nice for $35-37K!

I would agree, stroking the 4.6L to 5.0L certainly makes the most sense. It would align nicely with the original Boss 302 theme, a high revving V8 plus existing 4V cylinder heads to complete the package. Just curious, anyone know how Saleen achieved 302 cubes out of a 4.6L block?

I would agree, stroking the 4.6L to 5.0L certainly makes the most sense. It would align nicely with the original Boss 302 theme, a high revving V8 plus existing 4V cylinder heads to complete the package. Just curious, anyone know how Saleen achieved 302 cubes out of a 4.6L block?

Yes, it was mildly stroked'. The modular series 'effective' max bore is 3.55" The 4.6, 5.0 and 5.4 modulars are essentially the same bore.

The original 302s were 4.00" x 3.00" which let them rev like crazy, but you had to stay in the peak-power band. An undersquare modular of any displacement will be effectively rev-limited by piston speed/rod strength/rod-angle (which oversquares typically don't have to worry about nearly as much) but will have a broad power curve. The 5.4 GT500 is pretty darn undersquare so is limited (as built) to about 6250rpm or so. The 4.6 about 6,800. A 5.0 of similar robustness, maybe 6,500. Of course, with the right rods/pistons etc maybe 7,000 but piston speeds would start to be a problem beyond that.

It's amazing that the old 302 blocks are now being stroked to 427cid (even saw a hi-deck 351 stroked to 452cid!) for grunt but you sure would not want to go 7800-8000grand like the old Boss 302 :)

Yes, it was mildly stroked'. The modular series 'effective' max bore is 3.55" The 4.6, 5.0 and 5.4 modulars are essentially the same bore.

The original 302s were 4.00" x 3.00" which let them rev like crazy, but you had to stay in the peak-power band. An undersquare modular of any displacement will be effectively rev-limited by piston speed/rod strength/rod-angle (which oversquares typically don't have to worry about nearly as much) but will have a broad power curve. The 5.4 GT500 is pretty darn undersquare so is limited (as built) to about 6250rpm or so. The 4.6 about 6,800. A 5.0 of similar robustness, maybe 6,500. Of course, with the right rods/pistons etc maybe 7,000 but piston speeds would start to be a problem beyond that.

It's amazing that the old 302 blocks are now being stroked to 427cid (even saw a hi-deck 351 stroked to 452cid!) for grunt but you sure would not want to go 7800-8000grand like the old Boss 302 :)

Certainly, stroking a 4.6L would create an engine limited to less than 7K RPM for the reasons described above. However, most Boss owners would not rev their engines past 7K and coupling a 5.0L Mod Motor with a properly spaced 6 spd transmission would allow the engine to remain in the optimal operating range. While I would love to see a Boss that would rev to 8K, I could live with a 400 hp 5.0L Boss that would rev to 7K.

I agree as well, they are stroking the old pushrod engines to even more incredible sizes but they are certainly RPM limited but definitely have low rpm grunt.

All the parts are there and It wouldent cost Ford a thing by making a slightly longer stroke, use the GT500 heads and tranny and we have a great all around 400hp BOSS 302 with the weight of or less then the GT with a price tag of prob 35k perfectly between the GT and GT500. I just love the thought of a BOSS 302, We have the retro look and with a 302 under the hood, It would really pay tribute to the originals.

All the parts are there and It wouldent cost Ford a thing by making a slightly longer stroke, use the GT500 heads and tranny and we have a great all around 400hp BOSS 302 with the weight of or less then the GT with a price tag of prob 35k perfectly between the GT and GT500. I just love the thought of a BOSS 302, We have the retro look and with a 302 under the hood, It would really pay tribute to the originals.

Yeah, I think that's exactly what we're going to see. I would love one!

And could you imagine if Ford does the Hurricane (aluminum DOHC big-block)? They'd just have to do a Boss 429 with that!

Going a bit off topic now, but it's truly amazing what they're doing with strokers... I've seen some old 427/460 big block Fords stroked to +/- 800CID! Even the 460 (2-bolt FRPP 'NASCAR' shortblock is rated by FRPP for "up to 1500HP." We can only imagine what a properly prepped aluminum 427 4-bolt side oiler might handle with today's technology and computer stress simulation to beef up the right areas (not that it needs much!). There's a guy in Brooklyn, NY who's managed to coax (fully reace prepped, top to bottom, custom ground cams.. you name it) approx 1200HP from a nat.asp. 5.4 modular! I say approx 1200HP because the mustang dyno he had it on wend into shut down mode at it's cutoff of 1000HP... at 4800rpm -- so there was a lot more in it yet! Not something suitable for a production car for sure, but that's absolutely amazing for 330CID. 4-5 years ago, 500CID big block NHRA pro-stocks were having trouble getting to those numbers! Amazing what computer modelling and great DOHC 4-valve heads will permit.

<edit:> personally, I'd love to see Ford get back into NHRA pro-stock with the Hurricane/mustang combo. The we'll see how fast GM and DCX have to put their pushrod dinosaurs out to pasture. For the street, pushrods are just fine, but in an all out NHRA pro-stock context, I think an all out big-block DOHC would shame the current pushrod pro-stocks. Maybe Ford could even coax Bob Glidden back -- I believe he still has the NHRA pro-stock career win record (all Fords) and he hasn't driven one since Ford pulled out of pro-stock (about 15 years ago now?) Bring it on, I say :)

Ok, back to Boss 330 stuff, I guess <sigh> ;-)

Also, see my post #44 on this thread (link below) for what may be the Boss 302 prototype shown at 04 SEMA manufacturers trade show. Boss 302 Prototype ???

Also, see my post #44 on this thread (link below) for what may be the Boss 302 prototype shown at 04 SEMA manufacturers trade show. Boss 302 Prototype ???

Great pics!!! We can only hope and pray Ford can certify the Cammer and put it under the hood of the new Boss!! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

The cammer would be bad ass under the hood of the new BOSS 302 but the price tag would prob be 50k, Idk the cammer can be bought right now but its like 20k+ Its not practicle for a 35k mustang and It would smoke the GT500 so I dont see It happening maybe In 2009 when the mustang Is gonna be changed. Body style of a 09? You think Its gonna stay retro the retro Camaro and Challenger be out in 08 this should be very interesting, Ford right now dominates the pony car muscle cars whatever you want to say who make a 300hp v8 for 28 in america?

The Cammer would RULE and honestly, I would pay $40 - $45K for a Boss with a real Cammer. However, I think the bigger issue would be certifying the Cammer for emissions since the engine is basically a race-only piece from top to bottom. Don't get me wrong, I'd give anything to have one under the hood of a Boss and I certainly hope Ford gives it serious consideration.

Here's a link I found on the Hurricane that gives a little more info than I've seen before. Also, it's highly unlikely Ford would revive the Hurricane just for the 2008 F-series. Whatever they do with the Hurricane, I hope, as long as they have to retool for it, that they do it as a DOHC. I'd like to see Ford exploit this superior technology on an all aluminum 427 Huricane. Now that would smoke the DCX and GM offerings :)

Ford 6.2 Hurricane News

:happy feet:

As Ford's investment in Jaguar, Aston Martin, Land Rover begins to pay off there may be some sharing that could benefit Ford NA, but mostly those companies were technological basket cases when Ford acquired them. For example, while Jaguar has engineering talent, the technology of the design tools and systems they were using was abysmally archaic. Unlike GM that tends to 'rape' its acquisitions for immediate spoils (e.g. get controlling interest in Subaru, buy Saab, force Subaru as donor for Saab 9.3 'Sabaru' and then dump Subaru), Ford has always taken the 'cultivation' approach. Jaguar is a great example... with Ford capital and Ford state of the art Computer Assisted Engineering and Design tools, Jaguar is again a force to recon with. The newly re-engineered XK is superb and the XKR (later this year) will be a tour de force and lighter than a Z06 vette. I'd like to see some of that aluminum metalurgy start coming mainline as the costs are driven down -- but I think it will be a while before we see that technology in the muscle-car segment even tho that's where it is sooo badly needed, IMHO.

Untill than, a DOHC Hurricane 427 or Boss 429 would also make me smile :)

I agree but we need a mustang in the 35-37k price range something right inbetween the GT and GT500 then we can have another 40-45k plus mustang it would be the smart thing for ford to do. Who knows what fords got up there sleves all i know is there on top of the game right now with the mustang and when the camaro and challenger come out i think the real fast mustangs are gonna come out, Thats why I think fords holding back why unleash all the fast models now when theres no compitition weight till the competitions out and keep the ppl interested in the mustang when sales are gonna count the most.

With 6.2 liters what would be the cubes on that. The Z06 427, really 428, is a 7.0. I dont know much about the liters to displacement stuff so bare with me lol. That be cool if we could have a 427-429 Id be fine with a 390, a big block DOHC still cant get over it,lol.

I agree but we need a mustang in the 35-37k price range something right inbetween the GT and GT500 then we can have another 40-45k plus mustang it would be the smart thing for ford to do. Who knows what fords got up there sleves all i know is there on top of the game right now with the mustang and when the camaro and challenger come out i think the real fast mustangs are gonna come out, Thats why I think fords holding back why unleash all the fast models now when theres no compitition weight till the competitions out and keep the ppl interested in the mustang when sales are gonna count the most.

With 6.2 liters what would be the cubes on that. The Z06 427, really 428, is a 7.0. I dont know much about the liters to displacement stuff so bare with me lol. That be cool if we could have a 427-429 Id be fine with a 390, a big block DOHC still cant get over it,lol.

I think 6.2L comes out to 390CID and that's the disp being talked about for the F-series. Interesting that in the '60s the 390 mustang GTs were based on the big block 390 truck motor! So, that would be historically poetic too. But, yeah, eventually, it wouldn't be right unless Ford dropped one on us as a 427 or 429 -- another retro opportunity just too powerful to pass up, I think :) I hope Carroll lives long enough to see that. (Actually, I hope I do too <lol>) Actually, Ford racing already offers a NASCAR 460CID longblock for about $8K capable of "handling up to 1,500HP", and that's just a 2-bolt main motor! A 4-bolt 427 side-oiler, but all aluminum and re-engineered with present CAD and stress-analysis tools, could easily handle as much power and likely more. So anything Ford did with it in a production motor context would be no challenge to the design and, of course, the real fun would be in the racing world where such a motor would completely revitalize Ford, especially in NHRA pro stock where they've been absent for about 15 years.

Of course, there's also the modular V10 which For dhas already stretched to 427CID (long stroke) in the 2004 "427" concept car and a similar V10 modular was used in the Shelby Concept roadster in '05. (605HP nat. asp. all aluminum.) But I suspect there's talk of bringing back an updated big block Hurricane because the truck program can justify the tooling and the performance program needs the cubes. I hope so :)

The revitilization of the Hurricane engine presents some unique opportunities for Ford. If Ford does decide to offer the 6.2L Hurricane in something other than a F-series truck, it would naturally fit under the hood of a Mustang. As 68fastback indicated, it would certainly be a situation of '60's history repeating itself.

Despite the fact that I am in support of offering the Hurricane in a Mustang, I don't think the Boss is the proper model to offer the engine in, unless, Ford offers two Boss models as it did originally. Ford MUST produce a Boss model equilivant to the original Boss 302 (and similiar to the current PJ Mustang from Saleen) with roughly 5.0L of displacement, a 6 spd transmission, with road race inspired handling and braking. If the Hurricane were to be offered in a Boss, I would recommend offering it in the modern day equilivant of the Boss 429. The "Boss 390" if you will, could be positioned more for the street/strip set with drag race inspired options like Drag-Pak suspension, etc. Just my $.02 :)

The revitilization of the Hurricane engine presents some unique opportunities for Ford. If Ford does decide to offer the 6.2L Hurricane in something other than a F-series truck, it would naturally fit under the hood of a Mustang. As 68fastback indicated, it would certainly be a situation of '60's history repeating itself.

Despite the fact that I am in support of offering the Hurricane in a Mustang, I don't think the Boss is the proper model to offer the engine in, unless, Ford offers two Boss models as it did originally. Ford MUST produce a Boss model equilivant to the original Boss 302 (and similiar to the current PJ Mustang from Saleen) with roughly 5.0L of displacement, a 6 spd transmission, with road race inspired handling and braking. If the Hurricane were to be offered in a Boss, I would recommend offering it in the modern day equilivant of the Boss 429. The "Boss 390" if you will, could be positioned more for the street/strip set with drag race inspired options like Drag-Pak suspension, etc. Just my $.02 :)

Yeah, exactly! I think the Boss 302 (or 330) is a done deal -- planned, designed, mostly engineered and ready to roll in '09 (possibly '10 if extending the GT500 moves it to the new platform which is slipping to '10). So, yeah, I was thinking an R-mustang (only have to homologate 500 units for NHRA) or a Boss 427/429.

Hell, as far as I'm concerned, if only 500 or so units as an 'R' model, take out the back seat, factory roll bars, minimal lightweight interior, etc. Can't do that practically in a production Boss 429, but an homologation-run R-stang -- priceless! :)

Yeah, exactly! I think the Boss 302 (or 330) is a done deal -- planned, designed, mostly engineered and ready to roll in '09 (possibly '10 if extending the GT500 moves it to the new platform which is slipping to '10). So, yeah, I was thinking an R-mustang (only have to homologate 500 units for NHRA) or a Boss 427/429.

Hell, as far as I'm concerned, if only 500 or so units as an 'R' model, take out the back seat, factory roll bars, minimal lightweight interior, etc. Can't do that practically in a production Boss 429, but an homologation-run R-stang -- priceless! :)

<a little off-topic thinking here... sort of>

NHRA news this week: Bob Glidden quit Shoemaker racing (he was pro stock crew chief) to hook up with Martino (i believe) and Rickie Smith (Glidden and Smith were Ford Pro-stock gurus in the '80s) to head up the new team which is sponsored by Dart (racing and performance heads engineering and manufacturing company making some of the best heads on earth). Ok, so Glidden and Ford part in the 80s. Glidden comes back in around 2000 on his own as a driver/owner and then backs out same year. Teams up with Shoemaker (MoPar) a couple years ago as pro stock crew-chief, and they part (twice actually - once for just a week or two last year), and now he's hooked up with some of his old Ford buddies who are all running Chevy big blocks. Hmmmm.... I figure if he get's pissed off at them by around 2008, it will be just in time for Ford to make him an offer he can't refuse if they parlay the Hurricane back into NHRA Pro-stock. And Glidden will have had a perspective on the competition's PRO-STOCK engine development programs that no one else has had. I'm certainly just thinking out loud here, but the strategist in me finds this very interesting and an extraordinary opportunity for Ford... Glidden and Ricky Smith's first love has always been Fords and even going back several decades. Would a family reunion around the Hurricane and Pro-Stock not be priceless for Ford!!!

I too would love to see Smith and Glidden back in Pro-stock again. I grew up watching Glidden beat back the Mopar and Bow-tie boys in a variety of Ford Pro-stockers, I'd love to see him involved in doing the same thing again!!

They are both back in again, just not running Ford because Ford pulled out support when they stopped making the big block. We can only hope the Hurricane will change that (if the rumors are correct :)

WOuld that not be awesome!!! :baby:

In reguards to the above debate, a bunch of folks got into the same one on Brads site.TMS/How Ford could have made 500hp naturally aspirated on the GT500. They handled it pretty well so far and it does make for a good read.To frame the discussion;" Some folks here are saying it can't be done, a naturally aspirated V8 making

close to 500 hp at a price point very close to the 2007 Shelby GT500.

Neither side can offer proof, yet, either way. I'm surprised at how rude

some posters can be because some person dares offer a different opinion

then theirs.

(I'm curious what happens on the job when their boss disagrees with them).

Yet, they can't provide proof (just opinions) that it can't be done.

Maybe it can't, this is just bench racing ....we're not talking life or death

stuff here or insulting your family members so learn to be tolerant...you'll live

longer and be way happier.

I'm interested in hearing from engineers, builders and designers that have

actually worked on clean emissions engines that have gotten high hp per

cubic inch and get their expert opinions.

Someone wise said "The fun is in the journey"."

A BOSS 302 and a BOSS 390 be awesome, 5.0 small block or a 6.2 big block, It makes sense the Z28 will have the 6.0 and the challenger will have the 6.1 is it. Ford would really be in a nice position if they did this and it wouldent suprise me to have another mustang option, so far you can buy a roush,saleen,shelby,steeda,CS/GT,GT, do I have to go on, lol. Stroke the 4.6 to 5.0 with GT500 heads and tranny 35-37k, Have the BIG BLOCK 6.2 390 with everything beefed up for 40k+ Idk how would they price this, prob be after the GT500 production or the 09 yr, who knows its all good.

Archived