TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My newest hobby

I wanted to share my newest hobby with everybody. Powder coating. A lot of you already know that last year I started making these 3-piece car show display stands.

18x24" top

danhdr.jpg

(Dan's sexy SGT)

newer 17x11'' top

dsc3910f.jpg

Last year I ended up making more of these than I had planned on, and the 90 mile one way trip to the powder coaters was more than I could handle. I always have the raw aluminum stands built and in stock but it was the powder coating that always held up my orders. Sometimes 2-3 weeks. So I said screw it and leased a small 600 s.f. space and set up shop. I wanted to share a bunch of pictures with my Shelby friends!

The first thing I had to figure out was my oven. I looked into buying a professionally built oven but they were super $$$$$. Over the past year I've read quite a lot about powder coating and a good amount of those guys build their ovens themselves. So that was the plan. I asked myself "how big of an oven do I need?" Well, I only really needed a 3'x3'x3' oven, but I didn't want to limit myself to only being able to coat smaller objects. So I built a 4'x5'x7' one.

The materials.

20ga, 10ft long metal, drywall studs

2000* mineral wool insulation

20ga sheet metal

over 2,000 drilled 1/8 holes and over 2,000 pop rivets

dsc2469r.jpg

dsc2470m.jpg

The frame

dsc2488l.jpg

The heat! (4) 3800 watt heating elements.

dsc2630vx.jpg

dsc2864n.jpg

The oven!

dsc2971.jpg

Little trap door on the main door used for checking part temps with an infrared gun

dsc2986d.jpg

it gets nice and toasty in there too

dsc3047.jpg

The next thing on the list to figure out was the compressed air. I needed air for a sand blasting room, a fresh air supplied hood to wear while blasting, the powder coating gun, and another drop for general shop air. I got an 80 gallon, 2 stage unit from EATON.

dsc2981x.jpg

I ran the whole shop in 1 1/4 galvanize threaded pipe.

dsc3035.jpg

Next up was a powder application booth. This was an 8'x7'x7' room that had the walls lined with foam board for easy clean up. You can see the back wall has a bunch of washable filters. These filters are the first stage of a four stage filter setup that has a 6,000 cfm fan drawing air behind it.

dsc3345b.jpg

My new Wagner powder coating gun

dsc3368.jpg

Sucks the powder right out of the bag

dsc3531i.jpg

I've got a bazillion more pictures of the sand blasting room, dust filtration setups, chemical strippers, and so one and so forth, but I'll get to some more exciting stuff.

I've been playing with this stuff since January, and I've pretty much coated everything in the house. I've done stuff in the bathroom: racks, toothbrush holders, even the shower curtain hooks! I've done a bunch of stuff in the kitchen too in a very cool color called Bentley Blue. Check it out.

Here's the bowl to our Kitchen Aid mixer

kitchenaidbowl.jpg

This color is actually a tinted clear coat, or "Candy" as it's referred to. Candy colors are transparent and look best when applied to polished aluminum or chrome. When applying to steel a chrome powder base coat is required. These candy colors look pretty cool applied to clear glass too because you can still see through them.

jarsa.jpg

I even did the dog bowls.

dsc3579x.jpg

Here's a candy red applied over chrome center caps on my friends wheels.

dsc5009t.jpg

I shot his wheels in a 20% gloss black.

dsc4999d.jpg

dsc5013p.jpg

I did another friends BMW wheels in the same color last week.

img0231wv.jpg

I also did this million pound bumper on my friends F-250 in a textured black and his tow hooks and assembly bolts in a bright orange.

img0223z.jpg

I did some stuff on the front of my truck too

img0249m.jpg

Well Fabulous Fords Forever is coming up in a few weeks and I finally dug into the Shelby today. First thing up was the coil covers.

Stock

dsc5053m.jpg

Stripped

dsc5054u.jpg

I didn't get a picture of them sand blasted, but here's a pic of them coated with their white base coat.

dsc5061b.jpg

Then finally, Ta-da!

dsc5074v.jpg

Gloss black with gloss white fins and lettering!

Next up was the door still plates. I did the same two tone process on these.

dsc5166g.jpg

dsc5139.jpg

I plan on doing my fuel rails and Moroso tanks in the next few days, along with possibly some other things. I'll keep this thread updated with more pics as they come in. Thanks for looking

-Brian

O M G Brian.....you are serious about this!? When I first saw the post, I NEVER expected to see the amount of effort and items that you've shown here!! :happy feet:

Good for you man!!

Damn, and I'm on the wrong coast!! :hysterical:

Everything looks great!!! Where in CA are you located? I will be moving out there soon and may have some parts that I want done.

Thank you! I'm in Redway, CA. I can do free return shipping on any parts that you'd want to send though.

Wow, Brian looks great! Really impressive oven you built and booth!

Thanks Rich!

This is fantastic stuff..................taking your hobby and turning it into a business. :salute:

Congrats and all the best.

Kool!!

Very nice!

AWESOME!! Nice set set up!!

Thank you guys!

O M G Brian.....you are serious about this!? When I first saw the post, I NEVER expected to see the amount of effort and items that you've shown here!! :happy feet:

Good for you man!!

Damn, and I'm on the wrong coast!! :hysterical:

lol, thanks! If you've got smaller stuff like the coil covers or door stills, I can do free return shipping. Let me know if I can help you out.

Ingenuity at it's best right there, man, I wish you were here locally, you'd have my business.

Post some more pics of other items when you can, especially car parts.

Thank you Sir! I definitely will. Stay tuned for more pics.

-Brian

Brian, I will ABSOLUTELY have you do my coil covers. I get moved into my new home, (and thus garage) and get the car out of it's temporary storage in a few weeks. I will pm you then.

Thx my man!

Chris

Let's do it! I'm excited to do some different colors.

I am really impressed. Thanks for sharing

Thanks for lookin!

That's cool Brian. I've been meaning to get ahold of you to redo the poster for the stand with updated pics and all before Knott's, but time has slipped by...lol

See you there.

Dan

Shoot me an email Dan, there's still time.

blkgt500nca@gmail.com

Impressive!

Thank you!

Very nice work, I like your booth setup how long did it take you to build it? Its just a guess you researched the Caswell's forums in the powder coating section reading up on booth construction. I'm hoping to be able to get myself setup to do some powder coating too. Have you had any problems getting a nice finish on parts and how do you setup your booth do you pre warm it or do you just start it from scratch? Again nice work or you booth and parts I'm envious :D

Very nice work, I like your booth setup how long did it take you to build it? Its just a guess you researched the Caswell's forums in the powder coating section reading up on booth construction. I'm hoping to be able to get myself setup to do some powder coating too. Have you had any problems getting a nice finish on parts and how do you setup your booth do you pre warm it or do you just start it from scratch? Again nice work or you booth and parts I'm envious :D

Thank you. The powder booth itself took about 4-5 days to put together, this was working nights after the day job. It took me about 8 weeks to get everything together, but I'd been researching for over a year. Yes, Caswell's site is one of many I've visited.

The oven and the rolling rack that goes in it took the longest to put together. I'm damn near a certified electrician now after wiring everything up. The oven runs 70 amps @ 220volt, and I personally, by myself, ran the four lines of #4 copper through the 1 1/4 conduit. Lots of parts ordering, carpentry, and electrical. I've got an 8x8x8 sand (actually Garnet) blasting room too that's been really easy to use once it was properly set up. That big bumper on that F250 was painted and I blasted that sucker clean in under an hour, both sides.

I've had a hobby gun (see cheap) for a couple of years now and have coated small stupid things in the house hold oven, (NOT recommended. lol) but stepping up to the Wagner powder gun has made a WORLD of difference. Heating some intricate parts may be necessary for some guns but with the Wagner, I simply have never had to. (Except for things like glass, because it won't hold a ground.) Just make sure you have a good ground that's separate from your electrical system. That's very important. I drove a 10ft rod right in my booth and use a jumper cable that I attach to the hooks of hanging parts. I usually preheat my oven a little before putting anything in it. It'll get from 70 to 400 degrees in about 16 minutes.

Just like anything else, it's practice, practice, practice. My parts look just as good, usually better than the guy 90 miles away that was charging me a fortune, that's for sure. lol But he didn't really care about me and my small time stuff. He was set up to do huge commercial jobs. I was a little fish. Up next is ceramic coating and water transfer printing. Hello faux carbon fiber, meet my interior! lol

Hey Brian,

Very nice!!!

Sounds like your gonna be setup to do almost anything that us compulsive mod nuts want on our car and your in my home state!!! Can't wait to see some of your latest work.

Congrats and keep up the great work!!!

Tom

Hey Brian,

Very nice!!!

Sounds like your gonna be setup to do almost anything that us compulsive mod nuts want on our car and your in my home state!!! Can't wait to see some of your latest work.

Congrats and keep up the great work!!!

Tom

Thank you. Yes sir, I can do anything that'll fit in my 4x5x7ft oven.

Here's some more stuff.

Up next were my Mororso coolant tanks. I did them both in a slight textured black w/ a white lip on the intercooler tank.

dsc5197t.jpg

dsc5200.jpg

Don't mind the dirty engine bay pic. She's been sitting since November.

dsc5213l.jpg

Here's another shot of the door still plates in the car.

dsc5216p.jpg

Then I did a friend's son's bike in Dormant Purple and Granny Smith Sparkle.

dsc5232i.jpg

dsc5231v.jpg

dsc5230.jpg

Then I did one of my Portable Car Show Display Stands for myself. I've always offered my stands with vinyl stripes going down the center vertical section, but now I can powder the stripes onto the stand. I'm really excited about the outcome. Check out the pics!

Here's the stand coated in white and all taped up.

dsc5176.jpg

dsc5177.jpg

Then

dsc5181l.jpg

dsc5185.jpg

I even did all of the hardware and rivets!

dsc5207.jpg

and here it is w/ the car.

dsc5245a.jpg

dsc5252.jpg

dsc5264.jpg

dsc5269.jpg

Ta-da!

dsc5274.jpg

Let me know if anyone has any questions. Thanks for looking

Brian

Thank you. Yes sir, I can do anything that'll fit in my 4x5x7ft oven.

Here's some more stuff.

Up next were my Mororso coolant tanks. I did them both in a slight textured black w/ a white lip on the intercooler tank.

dsc5197t.jpg

dsc5200.jpg

Don't mind the dirty engine bay pic. She's been sitting since November.

dsc5213l.jpg

Here's another shot of the door still plates in the car.

dsc5216p.jpg

Then I did a friend's son's bike in Dormant Purple and Granny Smith Sparkle.

dsc5232i.jpg

dsc5231v.jpg

dsc5230.jpg

Then I did one of my Portable Car Show Display Stands for myself. I've always offered my stands with vinyl stripes going down the center vertical section, but now I can powder the stripes onto the stand. I'm really excited about the outcome. Check out the pics!

Here's the stand coated in white and all taped up.

dsc5176.jpg

dsc5177.jpg

Then

dsc5181l.jpg

dsc5185.jpg

I even did all of the hardware and rivets!

dsc5207.jpg

and here it is w/ the car.

dsc5245a.jpg

dsc5252.jpg

dsc5264.jpg

dsc5269.jpg

Ta-da!

dsc5274.jpg

Let me know if anyone has any questions. Thanks for looking

Brian

Only one..............................When are you finding time to sleep? :hysterical2:

I like the way the sill plate looks in that color....but, it does sorta do away with the intention of the billet look. JMHO

Great job Brian!!

Only one..............................When are you finding time to sleep? :hysterical2:

I like the way the sill plate looks in that color....but, it does sorta do away with the intention of the billet look. JMHO

Great job Brian!!

You mean you're not supposed to go to bed at 2am and get up at 7am? I knew I was doing something wrong. lol

I know what you mean about the still plates too. I just had to try something with recessed letters and the still plates were it!. Thanks

Thanks for the information its good to hear first hand and experience working with something. I can understand about praticing alot its good to have your way of doing things with something like this that way you know what to expect and can prepare for the times when you need a plan B. I can also believe that what you are turning out is as good or better than what you had someone else do for you and I know exactly what you mean about being a small fish too. Your new stuff sounds interesting can't wait to see where it leads you to.

Thanks for the information its good to hear first hand and experience working with something. I can understand about praticing alot its good to have your way of doing things with something like this that way you know what to expect and can prepare for the times when you need a plan B. I can also believe that what you are turning out is as good or better than what you had someone else do for you and I know exactly what you mean about being a small fish too. Your new stuff sounds interesting can't wait to see where it leads you to.

Shoot me a PM or an email @ blkgt500nca@gmail.com if you've ever got any powder questions. I don't mind helping a fellow enthusiast out.

Awesome work Brian!

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Archived