TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Recaros

Madlock

I just confirmed with a local dealer that received its 2012 stock unit today that the Recaros are BOTH manually operated seats.

Meh

Once you get them set, leave them alone. Guys on the other forum I am on are always whining about how they need a pre-set because it scoots the seats back for you so you can get in/out easier. The GT500 is an easy car to get out of, it's not very low to the ground, and the seats are not ridiculously bolstered like Viper seats or anything. I think manual is just fine for this. If anyone has problems, they can hit the gym and watch what they eat, or I sympathize with their arthritis/other condition and that is a bummer.

B.S. It's just one more convenience no $60K Mustang shouldn't have. It's the one thing LZ1 is doing right - it's not compromising on things like convenience items that don't impede performance for the sake of nickels and dimes. It's one of the few lingering vestiges of the "car think" at Ford - that also sunk 2/3 of Detroit before it was bailed-out.

You want no-compromise performance? BOSS 302. GT500's supposed to be no-compromise, period - as Ford has certainly made none on price. There aren't many things:

1) Power seats with Memory Settings

2) Reverse Sensors (Front too, for that matter).

3) Reverse Camera.

None aren't already available on the GT.

B.S. It's just one more convenience no $60K Mustang shouldn't have. It's the one thing LZ1 is doing right - it's not compromising on things like convenience items that don't impede performance for the sake of nickels and dimes. It's one of the few lingering vestiges of the "car think" at Ford - that also sunk 2/3 of Detroit before it was bailed-out.

You want no-compromise performance? BOSS 302. GT500's supposed to be no-compromise, period - as Ford has certainly made none on price. There aren't many things:

1) Power seats with Memory Settings

2) Reverse Sensors (Front too, for that matter).

3) Reverse Camera.

None aren't already available on the GT.

Buy a CTS-V if you want a muscle-car with "all the bells and whistles".

All that stuff adds up (price AND weight). There is a reason the GT500 is lighter by a lot than the CTS-V and the ZL1. Part of it is because they cut down on stuff where they can. This is a place that they can.

How often do you actually use your power seats? I hate even bumping mine. I set it and then leave it. Why would you do otherwise?

Gee. Your seat philosophy must not be universally-shared. Wait 'til your knees wear worse than wheel bearings, your blood pressure goes up but your circulation goes down or 'roids flare and wont xool down - then see how fixed-in-place you're eager to be.

Apologizing for Detroit half-assedness is what drove it to collapse to begin with. I won't do it - for its sake as well as mine.

I sat in them today - and they're damn comfortable. They're slide adjustable by a conventional bar with traditional recline and barber chair up and down ratchet - like my Transit.

They look terrific - though the shoulder harness passthrougs are holes only - with nothing provided for mounting.

I'm definitely ordering them.

These WILL bolt to a power Rail! :happy feet:

So if you need or want the power rail and Recaro's, you can get a power rail assembly.

Well and good, but what about controls? An Atari 2600 joystick duct taped?

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/56098-vapor08gt500s-new-shelby-project-%23-8/page__st__180

Alex made them Power - they way they should've been from the factory.

Gotta agree with Madlock - Ford always skimps on the little things (that should still matter) for a $60K car. Porsche, Ferraris, etc. all have the little bells and whistles...for a lot more $ and less weight. You can have unnecessary options and staggering performance. And yes I am comparing these with our Shelby, because this is MY supercar that I can afford. If the GT can have heated seats (that I wouldn't really want anyway), reverse-camera, etc., there is no reason the Shelby can't. Yes Iknow this isn't a luxury car, but it is 2011, not the 60's. Would It be nice to have an option-delete list too for special order?? Of course. Do I care for the most part - No, because I am extremely happy with my car. But it sucks that there is really nothing as far as options you can get on this car. I remember around 2000 or so when Ford was stating they were going to have more customization/options for its customers to order their cars. Hmmmmmm

I have a hard time trying to ascertain who is old and who is fat on this forum )=

Any relatively young guys who are still in shape driving these cars out there? People who aren't concerned about heated seats, power seats, autoadjusting seats, auto transmission and all that? I can't be the only one!

I gotta agree with JWG (for once) on this....if you want all that crap you belong in a CTS-V not a GT500! I mean it is a GT500 not a luxury car! I'm well aware of what it cost but if they added all of those luxury amenities it wouldn't be deserving of the Cobra Emblem!

I also dont think the 50lbs of added weight would be worth it when ordering a GT500 with Recaro racing buckets if they were powered. They are geared towards racers who don't want all the added weight of electronics and motors and pumps. I bet a pair of power heated seats like that's in the CTS-V or GT500 weigh close to 100lbs vs 20lbs for light manual racing seats with harness holes going in a 550hp GT500. Next to them switching to aluminum for the block, and racing wheels I think the next easiest way to loose weight is in the seats.

Well and good, but what about controls? An Atari 2600 joystick duct taped?

I guess if u consider the seat controls found on the power seats of any 05 - 12 Mustang duct taped controls, then yes you will have an "Atari 2600 joystick duct taped" controller for the seats :superhero:

Or if the auto adjusting seats with automatic A$$ warmers and coolers are that important to you, then I suggest you go buy one of the more costly "Super" cars :hysterical:

I have a hard time trying to ascertain who is old and who is fat on this forum )=

Any relatively young guys who are still in shape driving these cars out there? People who aren't concerned about heated seats, power seats, autoadjusting seats, auto transmission and all that? I can't be the only one!

While I don't consider myself to be "old" or "Fat" I do consider myself a bit aged and mildly boned with a liquid grain storage facility :hysterical2:

I also dont think the 50lbs of added weight would be worth it when ordering a GT500 with Recaro racing buckets if they were powered. They are geared towards racers who don't want all the added weight of electronics and motors and pumps. I bet a pair of power heated seats like that's in the CTS-V or GT500 weigh close to 100lbs vs 20lbs for light manual racing seats with harness holes going in a 550hp GT500. Next to them switching to aluminum for the block, and racing wheels I think the next easiest way to loose weight is in the seats.

Wow the new Recaros are 50lbs lighter? Hrmm that makes me want to take a second look at them. I too never use the power seats on mine.

Wow the new Recaros are 50lbs lighter? Hrmm that makes me want to take a second look at them. I too never use the power seats on mine.

Not certain exact weight on these (I'll go weigh them and report back), however, I can say that they appear to be about the same weight as stock seats oif not slightly more.

That was just a guestimate between 2 power driver side 2010 gt500 seats and 2 manual Recaro's would be about +-50lbs

It's easy. The old and fat ones are everybody not standing in the schmuck line.

I gotta agree with JWG (for once) on this....if you want all that crap you belong in a CTS-V not a GT500! I mean it is a GT500 not a luxury car! I'm well aware of what it cost but if they added all of those luxury amenities it wouldn't be deserving of the Cobra Emblem!

The "Cobra Emblem" - apparently around since long before you were born, is about building for customers what they want, not how little they can get away with or the arrogance of pretending to know what people SHOULD or SHOULDN'T want - even IF today's Cobra Emblem shared any more DNA with the original than a licensing agreement and royalty checks.

It's easy. The old and fat ones are everybody not standing in the schmuck line.

The "Cobra Emblem" - apparently around since long before you were born, is about building for customers what they want, not how little they can get away with or the arrogance of pretending to know what people SHOULD or SHOULDN'T want - even IF today's Cobra Emblem shared any more DNA with the original than a licensing agreement and royalty checks.

I dont remember it being about that at all unless I misunderstand what your saying

All this talk about "options", and whether the seats are power or not... sheesh! Dudes, the Recaro's should strictly be about function, not necessarily convenience. I carefully inspected the new Recaro's a couple of weeks ago (I posted more detail about this on another Recaro-related thread). They're decent, but IMHO, not what I was expecting: they should actually offer more adjust-ability (all manual is fine, actually preferred). They are not adjustable for seat bottom tilt, no lumbar adjustment, no bolster adjustment, and no headrest adjustment. My '85 Supra had these features and they were fantastic. These seats fall short of what they could be, especially on a $60K car with this $1600 option. My two cents...

I'm right there with you Ezareth! I'm mid 40's, 6'4" and 250lbs and manual seats are just fine for me. Is it really that much harder to adjust the seat manually than with the button. Whats next, everyone asking for automatics in their 500's???

I'm sure Carroll was all about putting convienience items in the original cars. I mean just look at all the Cobra's with air conditioning! :hysterical:

Only saying the addition of "luxury" items takes away from the wild feral image of the Cobra, just like the Viper. The GT500 is Iconic and very retro down to the cueball shifter. You could put a fat leather wrapped monstrosity on it like they put on a Vette that fits the hand better but it wouldn't fit the image of the Cobra.

Technology and Engineering improvements are allowed but turning a muscle/sports car into a luxury/sports car is just wrong (in my opinion of course).

All this talk about "options", and whether the seats are power or not... sheesh! Dudes, the Recaro's should strictly be about function, not necessarily convenience. I carefully inspected the new Recaro's a couple of weeks ago (I posted more detail about this on another Recaro-related thread). They're decent, but IMHO, not what I was expecting: they should actually offer more adjust-ability (all manual is fine, actually preferred). They are not adjustable for seat bottom tilt, no lumbar adjustment, no bolster adjustment, and no headrest adjustment. My '85 Supra had these features and they were fantastic. These seats fall short of what they could be, especially on a $60K car with this $1600 option. My two cents...

I'm still waiting on a weight figure before passing judgement. I'll take a superior lightweight option that is built with performance in mind more than comfort over a hybrid between the two.

Now if it is just as heavy and just holds you in the seat a little better but you lose all comfort then yeah it isn't really worth it to me.

35 years old. 6'2", 215 lbs. Incline press 100lb dumbbells 10reps x 4 sets self setup with no spot. Flat bench 4 plates + 2 25's 10reps x 4 sets. Curl 100lbs on curl bar 10 reps x 4 sets. I lift 3x a week for 2 hours and cardio 5x a week for 45 minutes I want heated seats, power seats, autoadjusting seats. No auto trans though.

Gee. Your seat philosophy must not be universally-shared. Wait 'til your knees wear worse than wheel bearings, your blood pressure goes up but your circulation goes down or 'roids flare and wont xool down - then see how fixed-in-place you're eager to be.

Apologizing for Detroit half-assedness is what drove it to collapse to begin with. I won't do it - for its sake as well as mine.

I sat in them today - and they're damn comfortable. They're slide adjustable by a conventional bar with traditional recline and barber chair up and down ratchet - like my Transit.

They look terrific - though the shoulder harness passthrougs are holes only - with nothing provided for mounting.

I'm definitely ordering them.

:headscratch:

Well, what can I say. I am 25, and I don't have all those issues yet. I suspect when I do, if I live that long (nothing is certain, wish more people understood that), I have a feeling I will change my opinion on a great many number of things. If not, then I would wager that I had stopped learning at 25, and that would be sad.

35 years old. 6'2", 215 lbs. Incline press 100lb dumbbells 10reps x 4 sets self setup with no spot. Flat bench 4 plates + 2 25's 10reps x 4 sets. Curl 100lbs on curl bar 10 reps x 4 sets. I lift 3x a week for 2 hours and cardio 5x a week for 45 minutes I want heated seats, power seats, autoadjusting seats. No auto trans though.

Impressive! I hope I am doing that well at 35. About 6 months ago I was 175, 5'10.5 and repping 185 for 3x10 on the bench or 70-75# with dumbells on the incline. 9-11% body-fat. Certainly not a big guy, but I have the rest of my life to work at it. Started bulking about 6 months ago and have not checked maxes lately. Keep it up! I see girls and guys in the gym that are 50-60 that look 40 because they take care of themselves. I rarely see them in my unit at the hospital. It's a great lifestyle if you understand your limits and don't overdo it.

Thankyou! Credit where it's due I guess, lol.

I'm 25 and consider myself fit enough. My car does have a 6-way power driver's seat, but I did not opt for the telescoping steering-wheel, heated seats, bluetooth, etc. I did not feel that the utility from that was worth $2500 and instead spent that on a 7/70 bumper to bumper 0 deductible fully transferable warranty.

Haha I should've known I'd stir up a hornets nest with that comment.

It wasn't my intention to insult (even though I probably did), I guess I just feel strongly about a "Macho" car like the GT500. I'm always working to ensure I don't grow soft, and it just seems like all those things were made to make a man "soft".

Nothing wrong with power seats since that is more of just a technology convenience item, but you have to draw the line somewhere! Next people are going to want seats that have built in massagers, heated steering wheels, and before you know it your seats start wiping your ass for you.

There is a distinction between latest technology and luxury to me. I guess considering my spartan lifestyle I just look down on luxury. My own opinion!

they way you post you're flat #'s means you're benching 455lbs not the actual 275lbs you're doing. say two plates not four. don't wanna see you get flamed by some douche keyboard lifter. and don't be a pussy, start deadlifting, curls are for fags(no offense to any one who leads an alternative life style)

Impressive! I hope I am doing that well at 35. About 6 months ago I was 175, 5'10.5 and repping 185 for 3x10 on the bench or 70-75# with dumbells on the incline. 9-11% body-fat. Certainly not a big guy, but I have the rest of my life to work at it. Started bulking about 6 months ago and have not checked maxes lately. Keep it up! I see girls and guys in the gym that are 50-60 that look 40 because they take care of themselves. I rarely see them in my unit at the hospital. It's a great lifestyle if you understand your limits and don't overdo it.

I got serious last June and have made a lot of progress. Was feeling my age, so decided to erase 10 years. I feel 25 again. It is a TON of work though. I am always at the gym or doing body weight stuff at home.

they way you post you're flat #'s means you're benching 455lbs not the actual 275lbs you're doing. say two plates not four. don't wanna see you get flamed by some douche keyboard lifter. and don't be a pussy, start deadlifting, curls are for fags(no offense to any one who leads an alternative life style)

Oh, yeah, not 455 =D. 275. I do deadlift and a lot of back exercises too - that is my weak spot. I have the typical L4 / L5 pain.

Oh, yeah, not 455 =D. 275. I do deadlift and a lot of back exercises too - that is my weak spot. I have the typical L4 / L5 pain.

Make friends with a chiropractor, a lot of times people have skeletal misalignments that turn into skeletal damage and could have been prevented.

Well, I'll weigh in on the side of "simpler is better". Having owned several muscle cars from the 69-70 time frame, I can say that not ONE ever had a problem with a manual seat, a manual (cable adjuster) mirror, a manual door lock, a manual window crank, etc.. All that stuff was still working fine in cars that were 25-40 years old and had mileage ranging from 60K to 200K.

I bought into the newer cars for their safety (airbags, crumple zones, ABS, a fuel tank that's NOT between the bumper and the rear axle, etc.). All the other stuff is just stuff to break. I sold my 2002 Z06 after the ABS/Active Handling module that runs the brake fluid pump on the braking system failed, the heads-up display was starting to go no the fritz and several interior body hardware issues had arisen. This, from a car that was 9 years old and had 31,000 gentle miles on it. Did I mention that the original engine had grenaded itself in spectacular fashion at 17,000 miles when a valve spring failed and a dropped valve wiped out the engine?

The cost of maintaining all the gadgetry on a modern car can sink you. I fixed the ABS module on the Vette myself (hats off to ABSfixer.com for a $200 solution, compared to the $2500 quote from the Chevy dealer....) and sold the car immediately thereafter.

I ordered my GT500 with no GPS and no other options other than the SVT/PP and the car cover. Had I been able to order a "weight reduction package" (like no power windows, no power seats, no power locks) I would have done it. I owned my vintage muscle cars for 20+ years and never once complained about the lack of a back-up sensor or a rear view camera. Really? A rear-view camera is necessary to back up a Mustang?? Must be my years of trailering a boat and backing into a launch slip honed my back-up skills.....I can see A/C for the folks living down south, but having lived up north, I didn't own a car with A/C until the late '90's, and that was my commuter Pontiac. Certainly, A/C had no place at a car taken to a drag strip. I removed the whole A/C set-up from my 1970 W-30 442 and got a 140-lb weight savings. Sweet!

I guess if you've always been into cars that were built post-1990 or so, you expect "power everything" and can't live without it. As for me, I'd rather have a 3400 lb GT500 by shedding all those electric motors that run all the power gadgets.

Of course, I'm in the minority and Ford (like every other car maker) purposely limits options packages (or the ability to delete equipment), in order to standardize production and minimize costs. Had I known the Boss 302 LS was coming out, I'd have ordered it (and a supercharger) in lieu of the GT500.

The only thing I'm going to add is this. The power seats allow the seat to be reased up for better positioning for shorter people you 6 foot this and 6 foot that Neanderthal's look down theres people down herehysterical.gif

Also my wife hates riding in the car because the passenger seat is so much lower! banghead.gif would it have killed them to through in another motor?????????????finger.gif

Archived