TEAM SHELBY FORUM

H/BOSS 302???

68fastback

Check out post #59 -- JDRF Charity car engine -- I just noticed (see the edits at the bottom :doh:

What does that motor look like??!!!!!! Right! ...nothing we ever saw before!

!

No you're quite right, that is the Boss 5.0 Mod motor in the car. I went over that thing with a fine tooth comb at SEMA. The engine is now available in the FRPP catalog, and they will offer one with a carburated intake manifold for applications like Ken's Duce. $18,000.00 gets you one.

Good eye.

No you're quite right, that is the Boss 5.0 Mod motor in the car. I went over that thing with a fine tooth comb at SEMA. The engine is now available in the FRPP catalog, and they will offer one with a carburated intake manifold for applications like Ken's Duce. $18,000.00 gets you one.

Good eye.

Yeah, but did you see the other pics I posted here. That motor seems different than a modular where the OHC drive mechanism is... at the front. The valve-cover widens slightly along the lower edge. On the DOHC modulars, I thought that front edge of the valve-cover is essentially straight where it meets the head at the OHC-drivetrain even tough it bumps up on top.

This was the same day the new Boss block and crates were first announced and displayed -- all were pushrod motors. I looked that motor over carefully too when I was at SEMA but never noticed the bump-out for the OHC drivetrain.

Do you really think it's a mod-crate Son of GT?

Dan

---------

I just found the right Floor-card (below) for that car... It's not called a Boss -- it says it's a 4.6 modular... chromed cast-aluminum valve covers by Sullivan ..you are correct!!! fire-drill over <lol> I'll have to go back and post the correct floor-card on that other thread -- whew... was going nuts here....

post-4902-1173638873_thumb.jpg

Yeah, but did you see the other pics I posted here. That motor seems different than a modular where the OHC drive mechanism is... at the front. The valve-cover widens slightly along the lower edge. On the DOHC modulars, I thought that front edge of the valve-cover is essentially straight where it meets the head at the OHC-drivetrain even tough it bumps up on top.

This was the same day the new Boss block and crates were first announced and displayed -- all were pushrod motors. I looked that motor over carefully too when I was at SEMA but never noticed the bump-out for the OHC drivetrain.

Do you really think it's a mod-crate Son of GT?

Dan

---------

I just found the right Floor-card (below) for that car... It's not called a Boss -- it says it's a 4.6 modular... chromed cast-aluminum valve covers by Sullivan ..you are correct!!! fire-drill over <lol> I'll have to go back and post the correct floor-card on that other thread -- whew... was going nuts here....

Thanks for the update Dan....still exciting to see an all-alloy DOHC 4.6L making 350 NA HP...love those velocity stacks, wish they could fit under the hood of a Mustang!!

Thanks for the update Dan....still exciting to see an all-alloy DOHC 4.6L making 350 NA HP...love those velocity stacks, wish they could fit under the hood of a Mustang!!

Yeah, ...it's probably the '01 Cobra (320hp) with FRPP pack/s (+30) -- but still good to see any alloy NA DOHC ;-)

Did you happen to see these intakes posted over on SVT (by Fourcam?? ...not sure)... so there are some slick DOHC intakes in the bin ;-)

Boss 290 Aussie intake (L) and '00R Cobra intake ®...

post-4902-1173661820_thumb.jpg

...and, of course, there's always the 3-pc racer <lol>

<edit:> I find it interesting that the runners on the current Aussie piece (left) have a much steeper angle as it get to the head... maybe it uses the same heads as the Shelby but with NA cams. The intake volume would have to be tuned to the motor CID (Aussie Boss is a 5.4, I believe) ...maybe that's why Ford was toying with a 5.4 iron Boss for here.

Dan

<edit>: interesting brief article from MM&FF on this subject here -- last paragraph or two have some good insight. Hmmmm, hollow (billet) cams for fast revs sounds sweet -- just not alloy!

Wanna go 50/50 on a skywriter ...to cruise Executive Plaza Drive with: ALLOY DOHC NA BOSS!!! <lol>

Yeah, ...it's probably the '01 Cobra (320hp) with FRPP pack/s (+30) -- but still good to see any alloy NA DOHC ;-)

Did you happen to see these intakes posted over on SVT (by Fourcam?? ...not sure)... so there are some slick DOHC intakes in the bin ;-)

Boss 290 Aussie intake (L) and '00R Cobra intake ®...

...and, of course, there's always the 3-pc racer <lol>

<edit:> I find it interesting that the runners on the current Aussie piece (left) have a much steeper angle as it get to the head... maybe it uses the same heads as the Shelby but with NA cams. The intake volume would have to be tuned to the motor CID (Aussie Boss is a 5.4, I believe) ...maybe that's why Ford was toying with a 5.4 iron Boss for here.

Dan

<edit>: interesting brief article from MM&FF on this subject here -- last paragraph or two have some good insight. Hmmmm, hollow (billet) cams for fast revs sounds sweet -- just not alloy!

Wanna go 50/50 on a skywriter ...to cruise Executive Plaza Drive with: ALLOY DOHC NA BOSS!!! <lol>

To your point, 350 horses isn't much of an improvement over the old '01 Cobra engine but it is still refreshing to see that Ford hasn't forgotten how to build a nice alloy DOHC NA engine.

Yes, I saw the same post over at SVT Performance, there are some truly slick and sick intakes available for the DOHC modular engine - just too bad none of them will ever see production <sigh>

Seems Ford of Austraila has taken a page from the SVT handbook and started creating their own home grown hot rods. The Boss 290 would make one heck of a daily driven family ride. Alias, all Ford of North America can seem to produce are trucks and high dollar musclecars normal working stiffs cannot afford but I digress. The hollow camshaft is a nice touch especially given the benefit of quicker throttle response.

Sure, I'll go 50/50 on the skywriter if it will help the cause - Ford needs to hear loud and clear what the enthusiasts want under the hood of the Boss Mustang. :happy feet:

Archived