TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another Shelby down

Slabo

Stock tires wet cold roads. A game of Russian Roulette. Thank goodness everyone is ok.

Absolutely correct. Cold wet and stock tires has been a recipe for a bad time for many a GT500 owner. I think the fact that he landed in the wet dirt may have helped prevent a even worse damage.

:censored: This bugs me :redcard: .

How quickly the driver is accused of poor judgement.

How about a freak accident?

Railroad tracks can send the rear end of any car funny in dry conditions, let alone a quick rain!

Here, where I live during warm weather, the roads are the slickest when it first rains, as the oils in the asphalt come to the surface.

He had his family in the car. I really doubt he was driving too fast. Stock tires are rated for conditions above 5 degrees C (41 degrees F). 40 mph? come on. With ABS brakes, traction control, it sounds exactely like the driver said. I'll repeat.

Railroad tracks can send the rear end of any car funny in dry conditions, let alone a quick rain!

I am glad your family is OK!

Go ahead. Flame Away.

I know the car. I saw it at a car show in Lacey WA called Ponies in the Park. I think the owner is a G.I. from Ft. Lewis, WA.

I could be wrong but it looks like the accident happened on Canyon Rd. It's a nice place to open it up a little. :spiteful:

There are a set of railroad tracks in the area, not so good for traction.....

I know the car. I saw it at a car show in Lacey WA called Ponies in the Park. I think the owner is a G.I. from Ft. Lewis, WA.

I could be wrong but it looks like the accident happened on Canyon Rd. It's a nice place to open it up a little. :spiteful:

He said something about the insurance is still looking at it.

I am going to take him for his word. And since he is a G.I, mention to him our thanks for serving. :)

Wow, Bob, thanks for posting!!! We were just talking about Mustangs in wet weather a couple days ago when we saw each other (in wet weather...LOL)

I really enjoyed the day and a half see you and your family....was a great mini vacation.....lots of fun until I got home...the trip back was a disaster....hope your ski trip and drive home was fun...talk soon...

Alex

Wow, Bob, thanks for posting!!! We were just talking about Mustangs in wet weather a couple days ago when we saw each other (in wet weather...LOL)

I really enjoyed the day and a half see you and your family....was a great mini vacation.....lots of fun until I got home...the trip back was a disaster....hope your ski trip and drive home was fun...talk soon...

Alex

No doubt about the wet weather! :lol: Great seeing you Alex. No skiing for us as we had to bail because of the bad weather. :( I will call you soon to talk.

At least this car kept them safe during the rollover. Got to like the safety of these late model mustangs. Let's be safe out there everyone!

Don't let anyone ever tell you that the S197's are not safe. That car is THROTTLED and he only got a scratch?! That's awesome.

I took a 55mph red-light-runner to my 05 GT's driver side door 19 months ago and all I had were a few bruises and some back misalignment issues from the jolt. "Wanda" took a bullet for me that day.

S197 safety FTW! :yup:

Not sure I'm buying that speed especially when the driver says he "flipped" the car 2-3 times.

Glad the family is all right.

Steve

He says he *hydroplaned* the car.

He also says he "I wasn't going more than 40." (mph)

Sorry, that wasn't a hydroplane. A car will start to hydroplane right about at 55mph. You *can* get one to hydroplane at slightly less speed if you hit a very deep puddle...but still, not at 40mph (and that wasn't his claim anyway).

He admits he hit some RR tracks though. THAT will unsettle a car and if you have one with hard tires due to cold road temps, you will have less traction than required to keep the car straight with very little help to unsettle the car.

Another poster says, "Why are you driving your car in that kind of weather. Glad you an your family are ok but not a smart move to drive you an your family in weather like that in the gt500. There not designed for it."

That can't be any farther from the truth. It's not the CAR that is not designed for wet weather driving, it is the TIRES that are not designed for cold weather driving. I can't say anything about WET because I don't know the tires tread design as it relates to wet roads but I have a feeling the DOT would NOT allow a car with sub-par wet road tires to be sold in the USA. I think what is REALLY important to remember is that it IS just a MUSTANG after all so that would mean that EVERY SINGLE MUSTANG made is not designed for wet weather/road driving. That is just not the fact.

I know of a married couple in the Colorado Shelby Breakfast Club that both have GT500's. They drive their cars DAILY, and I mean EVERY DAY, rain, sleet, snow or sunshine. I also know she recently put a set of Blizzaks on her car so she could drive hers to/from work so there's nobody that can say a *GT500* can't be drivin in wet/cold conditions. Again, it's not the CAR, it's the TIRES.

The guy hit some RR tracks, the car got upset (he says "it was a decent sized bump"), the roads were wet and I *suspect*, cold.

That in itself is a recipie for disaster. Maybe another driver would have kept it shiney side up....maybe not. No one will ever know.

Oh, and for what it's worth.....I'd be claiming I wasn't going over 40mph too, no matter WHAT actual speed I was moving at.

After all, Insurance companies read the Internet too!

Just My Honest Opinion/JMHO,

Phill Pollard

Don't let anyone ever tell you that the S197's are not safe. That car is THROTTLED and he only got a scratch?! That's awesome.

Yep, I totaly agree.

They have a 5-star rating. If I remember correctly, that is the highest safety rating a car can get so that means the Mustang is one of THE safest cars on the road.

Which actually played a part in buying my car. I *did* take that into consideration. Same with my Wife's ML Benz (frontal SRS, side curtain SRS, blah X 3).

When you buy a car, unless it is going to be used exclusively for off-road/racing, you MUST consider the safety of your family/passengers. If not, you're not being responsible (or I should say, as responsible as you should be).

JMHO,

Phill Pollard

He says he *hydroplaned* the car.

He also says he "I wasn't going more than 40." (mph)

Sorry, that wasn't a hydroplane. A car will start to hydroplane right about at 55mph. You *can* get one to hydroplane at slightly less speed if you hit a very deep puddle...but still, not at 40mph (and that wasn't his claim anyway).

He admits he hit some RR tracks though. THAT will unsettle a car and if you have one with hard tires due to cold road temps, you will have less traction than required to keep the car straight with very little help to unsettle the car.

Another poster says, "Why are you driving your car in that kind of weather. Glad you an your family are ok but not a smart move to drive you an your family in weather like that in the gt500. There not designed for it."

That can't be any farther from the truth. It's not the CAR that is not designed for wet weather driving, it is the TIRES that are not designed for cold weather driving. I can't say anything about WET because I don't know the tires tread design as it relates to wet roads but I have a feeling the DOT would NOT allow a car with sub-par wet road tires to be sold in the USA. I think what is REALLY important to remember is that it IS just a MUSTANG after all so that would mean that EVERY SINGLE MUSTANG made is not designed for wet weather/road driving. That is just not the fact.

I know of a married couple in the Colorado Shelby Breakfast Club that both have GT500's. They drive their cars DAILY, and I mean EVERY DAY, rain, sleet, snow or sunshine. I also know she recently put a set of Blizzaks on her car so she could drive hers to/from work so there's nobody that can say a *GT500* can't be drivin in wet/cold conditions. Again, it's not the CAR, it's the TIRES.

The guy hit some RR tracks, the car got upset (he says "it was a decent sized bump"), the roads were wet and I *suspect*, cold.

That in itself is a recipie for disaster. Maybe another driver would have kept it shiney side up....maybe not. No one will ever know.

Oh, and for what it's worth.....I'd be claiming I wasn't going over 40mph too, no matter WHAT actual speed I was moving at.

After all, Insurance companies read the Internet too!

Just My Honest Opinion/JMHO,

Phill Pollard

+1 :shift:

read between the lines. he just picked up after he had suspension mods installed. he decided to push it a bit in the rain with his family in the car. poor judgement. i DD my car in rain, snow etc. here in NY. don't drive like an ass and the car is fine in the rain.

I was the Shelby Breakfast Club meeting last month and the guy sitting next to me was telling a story about being down in Terlingua a few years back. There were about ten cars racing through Big Bend National Park at about 150 mph. One guy was passing cars and went to pass another when a car was approaching in the other lane. He swerved back in line, lost control and flipped 15 - 20 times. The guys said the engine and axles were gone and all that was left was the passenger compartment. The guy telling the story said he was first to the car and actually opened the car door. The driver's seat had broken and was laying prone but the guy survived with some nerve damage in his shoulder. One of the guys in the group was a ER doctor so I'm sure the immediate first aid helped but the fact that the car door still opened at 150 mph is a testament to the car.

So glad the driver and passengers are okay...

Thanks for posting.

:censored: This bugs me :redcard: .

How quickly the driver is accused of poor judgement.

How about a freak accident?

Here, where I live during warm weather, the roads are the slickest when it first rains, as the oils in the asphalt come to the surface.

He had his family in the car. I really doubt he was driving too fast. Stock tires are rated for conditions above 5 degrees C (41 degrees F). 40 mph? come on. With ABS brakes, traction control, it sounds exactely like the driver said. I'll repeat.

I am glad your family is OK!

Go ahead. Flame Away.

No flame here... :salute:

Just gotta bridge for sale. Thought you might be interested... :hysterical:

Archived