TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Washing Car Cover!

Stormracer

My old car cover (not for the Shelby, and made by Technalon...I think) came with a warning not to just wash it at home in your "standard" clothes washer. It gets so heavy when it's wet that it will overload and damage or break your washer. It needs to be washed in an industrial washer like you would find at a laundry mat. Also, don't dry it in the clothes dryer. It will tear and fall apart. I was told to put the wet cover on the car and let it dry in the sun.

All that said, after I washed my cover I was never happy with it again. It was not waterproof, and seemed to hold dust in its 'weave' (for lack of a better term). Every time it rained on the car, and I pulled back the cover when it had dried, the car was filthy with a fine layer of dust that had been driven through the cover by the rain......at least it still keeps the tree sap and bird dropping off the paint.

Z-man

So the Shelby cover, as soft and high end as it feels can be used outdoors without any issues. I just use mine in the garage to keep the dust etc off. But I have found after removing the cover, that there is dust from the lining of the cover itself it appears. So thought if I washed it(I have a HD front load), then it would just be better somewhat without the loose stuff. If you understand what I mean!

So the Shelby cover, as soft and high end as it feels can be used outdoors without any issues. I just use mine in the garage to keep the dust etc off. But I have found after removing the cover, that there is dust from the lining of the cover itself it appears. So thought if I washed it(I have a HD front load), then it would just be better somewhat without the loose stuff. If you understand what I mean!

Don't want to give you bad info. Again, mine wasn't a Shelby cover. I always used it outside, but it may be a different material than the Shelby cover. Just wanted to wan you against damaging your washer, and let you know that washing my cover somehow made it less effective in keeping the dirt off my car.

If you can find our who manufactures the covers for Shelby, I would contact them directly before washing it.

Z-man

Don't want to give you bad info. Again, mine wasn't a Shelby cover. I always used it outside, but it may be a different material than the Shelby cover. Just wanted to wan you against damaging your washer, and let you know that washing my cover somehow made it less effective in keeping the dirt off my car.

If you can find our who manufactures the covers for Shelby, I would contact them directly before washing it.

Z-man

I have no intent of washing it until I find out the proper way of cleaning it. Just was hoping someone here knew. They are too expensive to trash lol!

The description from Shelby Parts states that the cover is a indoor use cover. But no indication of cleaning or manufacturer guess have to call them tommorrow!

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/z40-10.htm

I have two of the Shelby custom covers ordered form the Shelby American web site. They are a satin-like material and are made by Cover King. I have washed mine twice in my front loading washer at home. I have had no problems with the machine or the cover since. The only problem I can report is that, even though I only use the cover inside my garage and the garage door is closed on the majority of days, the front half of it has noticeably faded due to sunlight. I don't know if this may be due to washing or not, but the cover began to show signs of fading in less than a year. Overall though I like these covers because they are so soft and do a good job keeping the dust off. They also look cool with color matched striping.

Here's my understanding of how to wash a car cover according Wolfe Car Covers the manufacture of the Evolution Series of Car Covers , other brands and my 32 years of building muscle cars that required covers. Use a commercial size front end loading washer and drier at home or your local laundry-mat. In the areas that are more soiled like around the wheels where tire shire gets on the car cover you pretreat those places with Formula 409 or Fantastic ; I preffer the 409. Then allow pretreated areas to be lightly scrubbed , soak for 5-10 minutes depending on darkness of the soiled area and if you have a colored cover that might possible fade if you leave it on to long. Now load your cover into the washer doing it by starting at the front or back of the cover and push it in so that goes in a continuous manner ; once again front to back a section at a time till you get that hole sucker in there it will take a little effort,but it will clean the cover more throughly . Proceed to close washer door and then add in the top of the front load pullout about a half of a 16oz spray bottle of the 409 or Fanatastic. Then set washer to cold water , (heavy duty or large load.) and hit the start button and then your half way there.

Now the Cover drying part. 1st before you remove your cover from the washer run the spin cycles 1 or 2 more times to remove as much water as possibile before you head for the drier. Now it's drier time and when placing the cover into the drier do it a section at a time starting from the front or back just like you should have done it in the washing portion of this process. This will allow the cover to dry more completely. Now set your drier heat on medium to low for 60 minutes. Different car cover thickness will call for more or less time.

As for covers loosing their ability to repell water almost all covers will loose that ability after washing or rain. However, you can restore the covers water repelling ability by using a a product like 3M fabric protectant or even convertible cloth top fabric protectant.

I hope this helps all those that needed the support.

Respectfully,

Scotty :salute:

Here's my understanding of how to wash a car cover according Wolfe Car Covers the manufacture of the Evolution Series of Car Covers , other brands and my 32 years of building muscle cars that required covers. Use a commercial size front end loading washer and drier at home or your local laundry-mat. In the areas that are more soiled like around the wheels where tire shire gets on the car cover you pretreat those places with Formula 409 or Fantastic ; I preffer the 409. Then allow pretreated areas to be lightly scrubbed , soak for 5-10 minutes depending on darkness of the soiled area and if you have a colored cover that might possible fade if you leave it on to long. Now load your cover into the washer doing it by starting at the front or back of the cover and push it in so that goes in a continuous manner ; once again front to back a section at a time till you get that hole sucker in there it will take a little effort,but it will clean the cover more throughly . Proceed to close washer door and then add in the top of the front load pullout about a half of a 16oz spray bottle of the 409 or Fanatastic. Then set washer to cold water , (heavy duty or large load.) and hit the start button and then your half way there.

Now the Cover drying part. 1st before you remove your cover from the washer run the spin cycles 1 or 2 more times to remove as much water as possibile before you head for the drier. Now it's drier time and when placing the cover into the drier do it a section at a time starting from the front or back just like you should have done it in the washing portion of this process. This will allow the cover to dry more completely. Now set your drier heat on medium to low for 60 minutes. Different car cover thickness will call for more or less time.

As for covers loosing their ability to repell water almost all covers will loose that ability after washing or rain. However, you can restore the covers water repelling ability by using a a product like 3M fabric protectant or even convertible cloth top fabric protectant.

I hope this helps all those that needed the support.

Respectfully,

Scotty :salute:

Excellent info! Thanks, this what the forum is all about! Kudos to you! :happy feet:

I emailed Coverking the manufacturer of the Shelby cover. Here is the response I received from them:

Nice car! (And nice cover too....)

You can wash it in your front loader with a mild detergent like Simple Green. Then be sure to air dry.

Thank you!

Carol Clear

Thanks guys! I've been wondering about this myself. I have the Shelby custom cover, and the dogs shook some mud on one side, and a little on the front a few weeks ago. It had been raining, and they were wrestling in the ONLY spot in the yard where there is no grass, and got covered in mud. Next thing I know, they come running back in the garage and started the "shake the water off" dog thing. Got a bunch of small spots of mud on the cover. But that, and to keep the dust off, is exactly why I have the cover! I may just try rinsing off the few mud spots with a hose before I throw the whole thing in the washer.

BTW, I haven't noticed what others have been saying about this cover with regards to dust getting through. I had it covered for about 2 months and when I took the cover off, it was still just as clean as when I covered it up. Didn't have a white-glove to test with, but just rubbing my hand across the hood, I didn't notice any dust.

Here's the only picture I have of the car covered. This is when I first got the cover and the wrinkles hadn't settled out yet.

f92901c3.jpg

Archived