TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Caster/Camber Plate

henrycp

Tried to install a strut brace on my car. Got it to clear the intake using the JLT spacers however it hit the hood when I closed it, so tower brace had to go. Was tightening the nuts back to the caster/camber stud plate bolts and one of the bolts snapped...stupid me mis-read the torque spec. :banghead: I'll call Shelby Store Monday to see about getting new hardware. Am I gonna have to take the whole darn thing apart to get the new stud plate back in? And re-align? HELP!!!

You do have to pull the strut back out.

What about the spring? I do not have a spring compressor so I'd had to take it to the dealer if I have to do anything with the spring.

What about the spring? I do not have a spring compressor so I'd had to take it to the dealer if I have to do anything with the spring.

You can get a spring compresser as a loaner tool at Advance Auto Parts if you want to do it yourself.

Talked to the guys at Maximum Motorsports yesterday. They're sending a new stud plate. $10 for the part and $10.50 to ship it. I will have to remove the spring and strut. I'll start to take that apart tonight. Part is supposed to be here Friday, so Friday night install.

i thought they have a lifetime warranty... shouldnt this be covered under that

I asked. Nope, not covered. To be fair, it was totally my fault. I torqued over specs.

You can get a spring compresser as a loaner tool at Advance Auto Parts if you want to do it yourself.

I bought my own at Harbor Freight for ~30 bucks. I figure I'll always have one on hand in case I ever want to change out my springs after I initially insall my FR3 springs. I won't have to take the strut off the car and take it to the dealer or run down to Advance Auto/Pepboys/etc. It's on my shelf and for 30 bucks, I figured that's about what my dealer would charge me for R&Ring a pair of front springs.

Phill

I have heard of the cheap $15 HF spring compressors slipping off the springs or breaking; personally I wouldn't use them. Not sure if the $30 version is any better. Read the reviews on the HF web site. The ones available at Sears uses better Acme threaded rods.

I have heard of the cheap $15 HF spring compressors slipping off the springs or breaking; personally I wouldn't use them. Not sure if the $30 version is any better. Read the reviews on the HF web site. The ones available at Sears uses better Acme threaded rods.

I've used a spring compressor that LOOKS exactly like the HF compressor I bought and it worked well.

Now having said that, I would NOT buy it for professional use where you use it on a regular basis vs. on a occasional basis. My professional tool set is about 98% Snap-On (including my Roll Cab, Glass Bead blasting cabinet, full wall mounted puller set, etc.) but for home use, I buy a lot of stuff from Harbor Freight.

The one I bought is admittedly not a GREAT compressor...heck, the one I used professionally was air/hydralic actuated and probably cost 100 times more than the $30 HF one I bought (it was a Shop tool so I have no idea what it cost).

For my use...the $30 HF compressor is fine. I don't know what the $15 compressor looks like but now I'll have to go look it up. Oh, and IIRC, I got mine on sale so I think it might be better than the 30 dollar compressor you saw (I say, I THINK) so I'll check it out too.

And as with EVERYTHING in life..."you get what you pay for" so I don't expect I'll get a $1000 quality spring compressor for 30 bucks! <snerk> (you know what I mean).

EDIT: I just looked at the Harbor Freight site. The compressor I bought is the one listed for $89.99, on sale (says they) for $69.99. When I bought mine it was listed in the mailout for 30 somthin' bucks....probably $39.99 (I honestly don't remember anything but "30-sumthin'). And I totally agree with you on that set for $14.99...I have personally used that POS (or one just like it) and it is a BITCH to use. I've never had one break but I have had them let loose (slip off one end) and let me tell you, there is a LOT of power stored in a compressed front spring so when it lets loose....it LETS LOOSE. I 100 percent, TOTALLY recommend *against& buying that set. It may (or may not) get the job done but it also may get you killed. Cost. vs. Benefit tells me....stay away from it.

Phill

Install in complete now. 'Bought' a spring compressor for Auto Zone for $54. Full refund upon return.

Install was pretty straight forward, no issues. Alignment scheduled for Friday and then I'm ready to cruise happy%20feet.gif

Im wondering how much you had to compress the spring with ford racing springs I dont remember having to use a spring compresser

Not too much. Enough to relieve the pressure so I could slide the old plate out and the new plate in.

Archived