TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Coupe vs. Convertible - Help Needed Please

Madlock

I've had, and been enjoying my 2011 Coupe since taking delivery in October, at least during the days and weeks when the weather has been agreeable.

The ONLY niggle about the entire proposition is the fact that I COULD'VE ordered a convertible. In fact, I wanted to - but I was too afraid of the traditional compromise that always seems to come at the expense of any convertible that began life as a coupe rather than being designed as a convertible from the ground-up. I'd also been reluctant given how different the 2010 Coupes and Convertibles were from one another - with none of the differences being good. Too few 2011's were in the hands of owners for there to be enough empirical feedback from owners to make me comfortable, and no dealer would give enough of a test drive to be worth taking - so I embraced the devil I knew, mostly in fear of the devil I didn't.

As time has passed, I've found myself wanting a Convertible more and more. There's also something about the possibility of having the roof down that also seems to make the car more, or more easily, usable - for a fortysomething with a rapidly aging pair of knees and back. All reports are that the Convertible, while being 200 lbs heavier and all that comes with that is, for all intents and purposes, as rigid as the 2010 Coupe with the added benefit of better weight distribution and being less nose-heavy due to the Aluminum 5.4. From the accounts I've read, Convertible owners love them - and don't feel they've short-changed themselves in either performance OR handling.

Well, the time has come.

I've secured myself a couple of options - and I can choose from the supply of remaining 2011's or order a 2012. My biggest fear in moving forward is something I may have overlooked or HAVEN'T considered. I have about 48 hours before I need to "put up or shut up" and am hoping the owner community can help me by ensuring there's nothing I've overlooked or failed to consider. And yes, I eventually plan to take it 750hp.

Thanks in advance.

I've had, and been enjoying my 2011 Coupe since taking delivery in October, at least during the days and weeks when the weather has been agreeable.

The ONLY niggle about the entire proposition is the fact that I COULD'VE ordered a convertible. In fact, I wanted to - but I was too afraid of the traditional compromise that always seems to come at the expense of any convertible that began life as a coupe rather than being designed as a convertible from the ground-up. I'd also been reluctant given how different the 2010 Coupes and Convertibles were from one another - with none of the differences being good. Too few 2011's were in the hands of owners for there to be enough empirical feedback from owners to make me comfortable, and no dealer would give enough of a test drive to be worth taking - so I embraced the devil I knew, mostly in fear of the devil I didn't.

As time has passed, I've found myself wanting a Convertible more and more. There's also something about the possibility of having the roof down that also seems to make the car more, or more easily, usable - for a fortysomething with a rapidly aging pair of knees and back. All reports are that the Convertible, while being 200 lbs heavier and all that comes with that is, for all intents and purposes, as rigid as the 2010 Coupe with the added benefit of better weight distribution and being less nose-heavy due to the Aluminum 5.4. From the accounts I've read, Convertible owners love them - and don't feel they've short-changed themselves in either performance OR handling.

Well, the time has come.

I've secured myself a couple of options - and I can choose from the supply of remaining 2011's or order a 2012. My biggest fear in moving forward is something I may have overlooked or HAVEN'T considered. I have about 48 hours before I need to "put up or shut up" and am hoping the owner community can help me by ensuring there's nothing I've overlooked or failed to consider. And yes, I eventually plan to take it 750hp.

Thanks in advance.

Verts the way to go!! I was in the same position back in '95, bought a Mustang GT coupe and knew it was a mistake the day I drove it off the lot. I loved the car, but know I should have gotten a vert. Didn't make that mistake again. Had chances on killer deals for KR's but wanted a vert. So that's what I got. See my sig for mods. Debating Pulley and tune vs. TVS. I'm comfortable taking her to 630ish RWH, 700+ in a vert I'd start having concerns about the chasis. I'm not an expert though, so interested in others thoughts.

Madlock,

Order a 2012 Vert exactly how you want it (for the right price of course) and enjoy your Coupe until it arrives. Life is short and full of surprises as you run the bases, so do what YOU want. Having said that, if the rumors are true of a 2013/14 factory 620hp TVS GT500, then you might want get some more mileage out of the current white w/red stripe beast and save for the expected difference. Either way, you can't go wrong!

For me, the coupe was the only way to go for the Shelby......butttttt, we have the 1985 GT Convertible for the top down fun. I totally understand wanting the convertible and if it's your only chance for the vert I say go for it. Yes, it will eventually creak and rattle, but if you hold it for that long it will just be part of the character of the car....the price you pay to have a drop top.

Two words...glass roof.

I have it and love it.

Six words. Have one - nice, but not fantastic. :)

It's really a tough choice. Those who dismiss the convertible out of hand really aren't giving it its due. I doubt anybody who has driven side by side 11's would leap so quickly bases upon historical biases alone.

The opportunity is a good one. Given the differential values and time of year differences and so forth, I could have it for only about $4k more than the price delta if I had swapped before purchase. I only wish I had rolled-up a few more miles on her before reading her away.

Of course, the other aspect of the deal is that I COULD buy an MX-5, perhaps the very best "drivers" convertible, but that would raise to 5 the number of cars my wife and I have - and even though we're fortunate enough to afford it, even my deepest inner car geek would think it to be unseemly (if not ideal, and not much less impractical).

Yes, the 2013 is bound to be "more", but I'd rather Ford add back touches like heated power seats and reverse sensors/camera than just dial-up more power than the car can already put-down efficiently.

For each their own! Personally, once you go drop top you never go back... that’s just my 2 cents... Nothing better than a nice day w/ the top down or an evening ride w/ the family down at the beach!

+1!! My SS 'vert is @ 734rwhp. The '07 frame was not as stiff as the '10s & up, so I had Ford stiffeners installed that were designed for later years. Creaks & pops, though- what's that about? You can't beat a 'Vert w/top down on a nice day or evening!

post-21354-0-84131800-1301168292_thumb.jpg

post-21354-0-84131800-1301168292_thumb.jpg

The 2011-12 convertibles with the SVT package has closed the gap in performance between the coupe & vert. If you remember the 2010 vert. still had the same suspension & handling package as the 07-09 models. Unless you want the recaro seats get the 2011 if you can find the color & options you want. The SVT package as you may be aware of increased $500 for the 2012 MY with no changes to the package. Good Luck with your decision.

By there Vert, it seams that is what your heart wants so buy it!

As for performance............. please............ I have a 68 vert and you should see how bad the steering, brakes, bad safety, creeks and squeaks those cars have and my car is in excellent shape. I'll tell you though, there is nothing like driving a 68 Vert, in fact, all my cool cars are verts.

QSS

At first I was going to tell you to go order a 2012 vert with the striped Recaro's because that would look killer especially with the top down, but then you said MX5. I vote to keep the GT500 as the stylish rigid hard top muscle machine it is and get the MX5 for top down spirited drives. The MX5 is always at the top of everybody list for best drivers car for a reason. I'd rather have both vs a new 2012 vert. I don't like the way verts look and the attention me and my passenger would get driving with the top down, the risk of fatality from a simple roll over into a ditch along side a road, but in a perfect world who care's especially since the PP's handle so well. I would love to be able to rent a 2011 PP vert w/ roll cage for a few weekends out of the year and take it out to the coast. That would be AWESOME to be hugging the curves with the top down and wind in your hair, heated leather Recaro's warming your back and bottom all on the warm perfect summer night.

I vote to keep the GT500 as the stylish rigid hard top muscle machine it is and get the MX5 for top down spirited drives. The MX5 is always at the top of everybody list for best drivers car for a reason.

Yeah, unfortunately, gaining one more car may mean losing a wife. :)

I added more to my above post.

Yeah, unfortunately, gaining one more car may mean losing a wife. :)

In that case if I were you, I'd order up a convertible 2012 PP w/ Recaro's and install the seat warmers and electronics off a GT and maybe a different color this time around and keep the stripes.

To me the Ingot/ Red looks expensive, slender, light weight, agile, sporty, fast without looking girly which is hard to pull off on a convertible Mustang. Black and Kona are dark and look tough but hard to keep clean.

I haven't seen any PP verts in real life so all of this is based off pics, but if your getting a vert I think Recaro's are a must because they are going to stand out and make it look like a real performance car, like a ferrari almost.

Sounds like another car is a great trade that will save tons of $ in the long run.

Not entirely. Mine's a "net contributor" - and I happen to be pretty fond of her to boot. It's a delicate balance I'm striking. :)

Archived