TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear Brakes... how much is necessary?

07SGT5687

So now that I've got my Extreme fronts on the way, I'm curious what I should do about braking for the rear. My gut says, just stick with the stock calipers and upgrade to the Baer +2 rotors in the back. Does anyone think its really necessary... or truly worth the $2000-3500 for a rear 4-6 piston setup? I gotta think that with a 6 piston setup up front and the weight almost ALWAYS being substantially transferred to the front, that anything more than some decent rotors and pads out back are all that's necessary.

Probalby going to pull the trigger on the Baer Eradispeed +2's from JD, but before I did, I was just wondering if anyone really thought a big brake setup out back is really worth it.

Thoughts?

I am in the minority but, from the get go, it always made sense to spend as many big bucks on the ability to stop as I spent on the ability to go really fast. I look at it this way. From the factory, Ford gives you a balanced set up, front and rear. So, when I changed out the factory set up, it only made sense to get a balanced big break set up.

In no way am I suggesting that what you contemplate will not work just fine. In my view of the world, safety is a big consideration. So, I want to have my car set up to be as safe as a machine can be, with the only issue being the loose nut behind the steering wheel (that would be me). I would rather have the set up I have and not need it than to not have it and need it . . . even one time.

Jim

The CS6 / Terlingua's go with the eradispeed discs on all four corners, upgraded calipers up front and stockers on the back. I find the braking is still very well balanced, if you go with bigger calipers you may need a brake balancer so that the majority of braking is up front where you need it most.

The CS6 / Terlingua's go with the eradispeed discs on all four corners, upgraded calipers up front and stockers on the back. I find the braking is still very well balanced, if you go with bigger calipers you may need a brake balancer so that the majority of braking is up front where you need it most.

The fact that The Terlingua cars are set up that way speaks volumes to me. I think I'll just stick with the front setup I have coming (if I can EVER connect with FedEx to sign for them) and the Eradispeed +2's in the back.

Thanks much for the advise!

Archived