TEAM SHELBY FORUM

To Buy in U.S. or Canada?

knightowl

I agree with you. Insurance is a rip off here in Ontario especially in the Greater Toronto Area. Just changing your address to Hamilton makes a big difference. I have seen a couple on autotrader from dealers around the GTA asking $52K for the base and an extra 2K for the navi option. Any idea what the US cost price would be?

I have no idea what the wholesale price is in the States are, i chose to buy here in Canada cuz i needed to finance and plus i didnt wanted to deal with warranty issues if any, just wanted to make sure if i had any problems that it would be covered, i wasnt sure if i bought a car in the States that the warranty would be covered, so for my piece of mind i bought locally

Just imported my first car from the USA this week,a 2007 Shelby GT. The process was easy make sure it's on the admissible RIV list and has no major mods.

Day time lights are easy to turn on but the dealer has to call ford for the code, ford requires the import number before they give the code.

The cost are: GST : $220 for a Federal inspection which you need to get before registering the car pay for it at the border if not you have to send transport Canada the money and wait for FORM 2 to be sent to you.

Pay at the border and you can download it from the net. When you register the car you pay PST.

Here is what you need to license the car:

1: Title to vehicle send original to USA Customs 72 hours ahead

2: Bill of sale send original to USA Customs 72 hours ahead

3:Form 1 from Canada customs

4:Form 2 download on line (if you pay the fee at the boarder)

5:Federal inspection done (form 2 done at Canadian tire)

6:provincial safety

7:E-test

If I forgot something someone will let you know.

Family Stangs

post-33418-0-61797100-1308014090_thumb.jpg

post-33418-0-61797100-1308014090_thumb.jpg

I'm still looking hard in the U.S. and still have some feelers out here locally in case I come across a great deal.

The general consensus chatting with many that have done the U.S. purchase, Ford readily honours the warranty in Canada too, but check with Ford Canada before taking the final plunge to make sure they haven't changed their position on that. It seems that warranty varies quite a bit from one manufacturer to another, but thankfully Ford is one of the easy ones to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a Shelby...Can't believe it!!!!!!!

Well, after all my blabbing of promising to buy in the U.S., I ended up buying locally today. It was pretty hard to pass up as Ford had their employee pricing promo on various vehicles including the Shelby which I'm told rarely happens!

It turns out, they brought several in from Ontario that arrived today and what a selection. They all looked hot including the white with grabber blue stripes, red w/ black stripes, Kona Blue w/ white stripes & the one I went with was the stealth look I've had my eye on since the get go, the black w/ matte black stripes. All are 2011, but no SVTPP or Nav, but the wide stripes are great and it has the Shaker 1000 in it. I liked the look of the Nav, but in the end I'm really pumped about my new car!

I'm pretty sure I did ok on it....Sticker was almost 62K and with the employee pricing, it was 55800 or so. I got them to 54500 and got a Shelby cover thrown in too. Tries that price GST in, but jut got a bit of the reduction instead.

Damn, what a feeling...Pick it up next week & will post pics everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

I know here in Ontario any u.s vehicle has to go to Canadian tire for inspection prior to you licensing it to make sure it meets our CSA standards. That means it will need the daytime running light module installed...etc.

You will need your form 2 from RIV to take with you. When Canadian Tire signs off on it you will need to submit the forms back to RIV and they will send out a RIV sticker which you must place somewhere on your car...usually on the inside of the drivers door or door post. Do not take your vehicle back across the border until you have received that sticker and placed it on the car.

Ford is pretty good with their warranty as far as buying from the U.S, however your local dealer may have his nose out of joint a wee bit and when and if you have a warranty issue, you may not be looked after as fast as you might have been had you bought it from them.

My husband bought a Corvette ZR1 last year from a Canadian dealer, who bought the car from GM's dealer auction and imported it. We found out after buying the car that GM Canada will NOT warrant the car for the first 12,000 miles. Complained to the dealer who in writing provided us with a letter stating that they as a dealer will pick up the first 12,000 mile warranty out of their own pocket. For any major issues they would haul it over the border to Michigan to have any work done.

How many of you bought in Canada? I take it most of you went to the U.S?

I bought mine in Ontario Canada last August...paid full sticker price without trying to haggle them down. I wanted that car so damn bad and it was the only one in Ontario without having to order one and wait forever for it to come in. I have learned that I have 1 of 33 cars ( Race red- vert- svt stripes, daytime running lights and black with white stripe seats) in Canada.

Thanks for your story Mary Ann. In the end, I realize that I could have paid a little less in the U.S., but I think I did pretty good and the convenience of having no inspections done, no warranty issues etc is a bonus.

I love the black matte stripes on black I got; getting lots of compliments on the colour even though I know there are a few black around. I really like the stealth look of it!

post-31954-0-15506100-1311044397_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for your story Mary Ann. In the end, I realize that I could have paid a little less in the U.S., but I think I did pretty good and the convenience of having no inspections done, no warranty issues etc is a bonus.

I love the black matte stripes on black I got; getting lots of compliments on the colour even though I know there are a few black around. I really like the stealth look of it!

That is for sure one sexy looking car Knightowl! Enjoy her and treat her right!

So just looking for a guideline too for pricing!

I see whether people have bought in Canada or U.S., there is the MSRP price, then the actual list or cost price. What would everyone consider a good deal for the Shelby GT 500, such as so much above or below MSRP / list? I know since the car is quite in demand and special to say the least, there is little room for movement, but I'm curious to see what the norm has been when trying to wheel & deal with the dealerships?

Purchased a new 2011 with SVTPP, Nav, and glass roof in the States last fall at 1000 over invoice (approx 4000 off MSRP) including all fees. Took a couple of months to find the color and combo I wanted for a good price (only 17 made in the combo I was looking for). The car had 7.1 miles on it and was still on the showroom floor when I found it.

This is the second new vehicle I have purchased from the States and the process is not that bad if you are organized and keep you paper work in order. As mentioned on the RIV.ca site don't forget to get a Recall letter which I got from the dealer. Also double check to make sure the Manufacturers certified US roadworthy sticker is in the door jamb - without this you are hooped. Also be aware that the border crossing site where you will come across needs the title 48 hours before they let you export from the States. I also checked on the warranty and was told by Ford of Canada on several occassions that the warranty is valid throughout N America if purchased in the US or Canada. This is one of the reasons I went with Ford. Also call your insurance co before you pick up the car to make sure it is covered.

Purchased a new 2011 with SVTPP, Nav, and glass roof in the States last fall at 1000 over invoice (approx 4000 off MSRP) including all fees. Took a couple of months to find the color and combo I wanted for a good price (only 17 made in the combo I was looking for). The car had 7.1 miles on it and was still on the showroom floor when I found it.

This is the second new vehicle I have purchased from the States and the process is not that bad if you are organized and keep you paper work in order. As mentioned on the RIV.ca site don't forget to get a Recall letter which I got from the dealer. Also double check to make sure the Manufacturers certified US roadworthy sticker is in the door jamb - without this you are hooped. Also be aware that the border crossing site where you will come across needs the title 48 hours before they let you export from the States. I also checked on the warranty and was told by Ford of Canada on several occassions that the warranty is valid throughout N America if purchased in the US or Canada. This is one of the reasons I went with Ford. Also call your insurance co before you pick up the car to make sure it is covered.

Right on and good for you!

I've learned a lot in this process and will still consider buying in the U.S. for my next vehicle as it seems quite straight forward.

Yeah I figure with all the costs including flights, rooms, gas, rental car, trucking, RIV fees and speeding tickets (just one) I'm still up 6-7K over buying in Canada.

As for the daytime running lights it is a computer reprogram (fog lights become DTR on HID equip cars) doesn't take too much time, but it is a full reprogram so don't make the same mistake I did, bring all the key fobs with you otherwise they can't do it.

hi,

My 08SGT come from the US without fog lights, and with HID headlights. These made it more difficult to create DRL as you do not have the fog lights which are usually used as the DRL, and you do not want to be using the HID headlights for that (they run hot and deteriorate). After some hand wringing the ministry of transportation in Manitoba gave me a permission to use marker lights on my Shelby as DRL

Peter

Winnipeg

Archived