TEAM SHELBY FORUM

To Buy in U.S. or Canada?

knightowl

Hey everyone;

I'm new to this site and recently found this Canadian page. I don't have a Shelby GT500 yet, but plan on purchasing within a year or so...I just want to do as much homework as possible before taking the leap and would love to hear your experiences regarding purchasing in Canada or the U.S.

Aside from the major cost difference between our countries, are there any pro's or con's you've come by? At the moment, I plan on buying in the U.S. unless some of you know the best spot to buy in Canada? A friend of mine picked up his Shelby from Ontario a few yeas back only because there were good incentives at the time and a surplus I think, so his price wasn't worth going to the U.S.

Anyway, I'm all ears and would like to hear from anyone and any advice you can offer.

Also, has anyone ever used the I-5 Auto Group out of Washington to acquire a vehicle? They are a brokerage firm that essentially find and bring in the car you want and do the paper work involved to get across the border, etc. Just want to hear how things went if you dealt with them or similar company and is it worth the money?

If I've posted my questions in the wrong area, please let me know too.

Here's dreaming still! Thanks!

Hey Knightowl

I picked up a new 2010 GT 500 last year from a now defunct dealership in LA. I had a few hiccups along the way but all in all a great experience especially with the cost savings. I did all the importing paper work my self and flew down and drove back (made a great road trip and gave the car a nice break in). If you’re thinking about having it hauled back you may want to look at a broker because I think the paperwork becomes more complex. If you go the Registrar of Imported Vehicles website riv.ca it has all the steps laid out and it’s relatively simple. Another thing to consider is the state taxes of the state of purchase, for example Cali has around 8% state tax and that has to be paid on new vehicles if “the tires touch the pavement” I was told, so I had to haul mine across to Nevada before I could drive it back to avoid the tax. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions I’d be happy to help you out.

J

Hey Knightowl

I picked up a new 2010 GT 500 last year from a now defunct dealership in LA. I had a few hiccups along the way but all in all a great experience especially with the cost savings. I did all the importing paper work my self and flew down and drove back (made a great road trip and gave the car a nice break in). If you’re thinking about having it hauled back you may want to look at a broker because I think the paperwork becomes more complex. If you go the Registrar of Imported Vehicles website riv.ca it has all the steps laid out and it’s relatively simple. Another thing to consider is the state taxes of the state of purchase, for example Cali has around 8% state tax and that has to be paid on new vehicles if “the tires touch the pavement” I was told, so I had to haul mine across to Nevada before I could drive it back to avoid the tax. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions I’d be happy to help you out.

J

Hey J.....That does help me a lot and as you mentioned, the process seems pretty straight forward especially when following the step by step instructions on the riv website. As you mentioned, the state tax can be avoided as long as you look into how to do that, which you did. I guess having it hauled to a destination can bypass that, at a cost of course.

Well, I'm keeping my eyes open and will see what I find. I imagine you saved quite a few bucks even after paying GST & PST?

Thanks again J.

Don`t forget the it has to have daytime running lights

Thanks glroy.....I like the MPH too....At least the speedo comes in both with KPH in the smaller numbers if bought in the U.S. and don't have to worry about conversion.

Shelby001....Got the info on the daytimers too which I hear is just a simple command through the computer and have somebody lined up to do that when the time comes, unless it's more involved than what I've been told?

Hey glroy...I see you're in Victoria and we'll moving to the Island in couple years...Just wondering how insurance has been through ICBC???? Or did you insure the basics through them and go another company / broker afterwards?

Hey glroy...I see you're in Victoria and we'll moving to the Island in couple years...Just wondering how insurance has been through ICBC???? Or did you insure the basics through them and go another company / broker afterwards?

ICBC with my 0 claims history 11 or 12 hundred a year but I only insure for a bout 6 months and store in SO-CAL for 6 months @ 100.00 per month ICBC for fire theft and ?? log as it is not moving. We can't afford to winter there yet so we go visit the Shelby 2or 3 times a winter. First year doing this; allowed us to drive it at the Bash (track time for the Shelby happy%20feet.gifhappy%20feet.gifhappy%20feet.gif)

Bring all of your ins documentation when you move here as you will need for discounts. Simple provincial inspection for car and no Smog if you live on the Island. You will need to find a good mechanic Both ford dealers in Victoria have screwed up my car.

Glen

ICBC with my 0 claims history 11 or 12 hundred a year but I only insure for a bout 6 months and store in SO-CAL for 6 months @ 100.00 per month ICBC for fire theft and ?? log as it is not moving. We can't afford to winter there yet so we go visit the Shelby 2or 3 times a winter. First year doing this; allowed us to drive it at the Bash (track time for the Shelby happy%20feet.gifhappy%20feet.gifhappy%20feet.gif)

Bring all of your ins documentation when you move here as you will need for discounts. Simple provincial inspection for car and no Smog if you live on the Island. You will need to find a good mechanic Both ford dealers in Victoria have screwed up my car.

Glen

Ok, that's really good to know; I heard that ICBC is pretty much all based on driving & collision history, but didn't know what to expect for rates so that's a great guideline; thanks so much. Also great to know to bring my Alberta insurance docs over for the discounts.

We're looking to possibly set up in Nanaimo so I'll have a look around for a good mechanic. Sorry to hear about your experience; What did they do to your car??? No Smog? What does that entail?

Thanks Glen.

Hey J.....That does help me a lot and as you mentioned, the process seems pretty straight forward especially when following the step by step instructions on the riv website. As you mentioned, the state tax can be avoided as long as you look into how to do that, which you did. I guess having it hauled to a destination can bypass that, at a cost of course.

Well, I'm keeping my eyes open and will see what I find. I imagine you saved quite a few bucks even after paying GST & PST?

Thanks again J.

Yeah I figure with all the costs including flights, rooms, gas, rental car, trucking, RIV fees and speeding tickets (just one) I'm still up 6-7K over buying in Canada.

As for the daytime running lights it is a computer reprogram (fog lights become DTR on HID equip cars) doesn't take too much time, but it is a full reprogram so don't make the same mistake I did, bring all the key fobs with you otherwise they can't do it.

Yeah I figure with all the costs including flights, rooms, gas, rental car, trucking, RIV fees and speeding tickets (just one) I'm still up 6-7K over buying in Canada.

As for the daytime running lights it is a computer reprogram (fog lights become DTR on HID equip cars) doesn't take too much time, but it is a full reprogram so don't make the same mistake I did, bring all the key fobs with you otherwise they can't do it.

One speeding ticket? Not too shabby considering the distance you travelled! Still worth the trip though as you saved a good chunk of change.

Really good info on the daytime running lights to see how they work with HID's and even better info to make sure and bring all the fobs. I'm really glad that I posted my questions here as guys like yourself J are being really helpful.

Thanks

Rob

One speeding ticket? Not too shabby considering the distance you travelled! Still worth the trip though as you saved a good chunk of change.

Really good info on the daytime running lights to see how they work with HID's and even better info to make sure and bring all the fobs. I'm really glad that I posted my questions here as guys like yourself J are being really helpful.

Thanks

Rob

Glad to help, I wish I would have known about this site last year there are a lot of great people with great info to share.

J

Hey everyone;

I'm new to this site and recently found this Canadian page. I don't have a Shelby GT500 yet, but plan on purchasing within a year or so...I just want to do as much homework as possible before taking the leap and would love to hear your experiences regarding purchasing in Canada or the U.S.

Aside from the major cost difference between our countries, are there any pro's or con's you've come by? At the moment, I plan on buying in the U.S. unless some of you know the best spot to buy in Canada? A friend of mine picked up his Shelby from Ontario a few yeas back only because there were good incentives at the time and a surplus I think, so his price wasn't worth going to the U.S.

Anyway, I'm all ears and would like to hear from anyone and any advice you can offer.

Also, has anyone ever used the I-5 Auto Group out of Washington to acquire a vehicle? They are a brokerage firm that essentially find and bring in the car you want and do the paper work involved to get across the border, etc. Just want to hear how things went if you dealt with them or similar company and is it worth the money?

I have a friend that works at an SVT dealer in Toronto and he keeps me in the loop when ever there is a deal in place and right now he has a Grabber Blue Vert 2011 with low km and the track pkg and nav for which was an exec car

for $55k

Glad to help, I wish I would have known about this site last year there are a lot of great people with great info to share.

J

Yeah, I totally agree. Every little bit of info helps that's for sure.

I have a friend that works at an SVT dealer in Toronto and he keeps me in the loop when ever there is a deal in place and right now he has a Grabber Blue Vert 2011 with low km and the track pkg and nav for which was an exec car

for $55k

Wow, that's not too bad of a price especially for the vert....He's a good contact no doubt!

I'll be looking for a coupe and still trying to nail down the exact colour that I'll want, but hard to get too picky I guess. I was initially thinking of buying low km's on something within 2 years old, but as the new one's come out, I just keep teasing myself. Would still be saving a good amount of cash though if I went slightly used.

Thanks again.

Hey everyone;

Hey knightowl,

binging a car from the US to Canada is "easy as pie". I doesn't matter if you drive it or if you ship it. The main thing is to check the RIV site and make sure it is OK to bring back. Some Shelby's are OK to bring into the country and some Shelby's are not.

I have bought 4 cars in the past 7 or 8 years and as long as the RIV says they are ok to bring into the country, then it is no problem.

I had one shipped to me from Colorado and picked it up in Calgary, had one shipped from South Carolina and picked it up in Montana and drove it across the border, bought one in Oklahoma and bought one in Tacoma, Washington and these two cars will come to Canada this year.

My point is it's super easy to bring these cars into Canada as long as they are allowed by the RIV. It only takes a little bit of paperwork, you need to notify US customs 72 hours before you export the car from the US, then you bring it across the border to the Canadian side, fill out one more form, pay your GST and BOOM, the car is yours, legally brought into Canada.

You still have to do a couple of things to register it in your province but it is not too difficult. Day time running lights are a must for newer cars but there are even "alternatives" to having these.

If you can save a bunch of money buying in the US, go for it !!!!!!!!! Don't let anyone tell you that your car can't be warrantied in Canada if it is a US car cause that just a bunch of scare tactics that they dealers use to put fear into your heart to try to keep you from buying outside the country. In the end it is a free market system. Why not take advantage of it.

Buy where ever you get the best deal.

QSS

Hey knightowl,

binging a car from the US to Canada is "easy as pie". I doesn't matter if you drive it or if you ship it. The main thing is to check the RIV site and make sure it is OK to bring back. Some Shelby's are OK to bring into the country and some Shelby's are not.

I have bought 4 cars in the past 7 or 8 years and as long as the RIV says they are ok to bring into the country, then it is no problem.

I had one shipped to me from Colorado and picked it up in Calgary, had one shipped from South Carolina and picked it up in Montana and drove it across the border, bought one in Oklahoma and bought one in Tacoma, Washington and these two cars will come to Canada this year.

My point is it's super easy to bring these cars into Canada as long as they are allowed by the RIV. It only takes a little bit of paperwork, you need to notify US customs 72 hours before you export the car from the US, then you bring it across the border to the Canadian side, fill out one more form, pay your GST and BOOM, the car is yours, legally brought into Canada.

You still have to do a couple of things to register it in your province but it is not too difficult. Day time running lights are a must for newer cars but there are even "alternatives" to having these.

More great info QSS! I really appreciate everyone's input and shared experiences here.

I've been looking at the RIV periodically and by the looks of things, it should be no problem to bring this car across the border. The exception seems to be the Shelby's that have been modified / customized such as the Saleens and Supersnake I believe. As long as I find it pretty much stock, all should be good but when it comes down to buy time, I'll be reading the most current information on the RIV site.

Good point on the warranty too as I've heard similar scare ploys, but the reality is that quite a few auto makers will honor the warranty in Canada & U.S., but like some buddies have done, they say to call Ford Canada before making the sale and they will confirm, so just an extra safeguard. I'm reassured that the process to import is straight forward and just have to get my ducks in a row.

Thanks for the advice QSS; I quite enjoy looking at the comments and of course checking for my future ride.

Ok, that's really good to know; I heard that ICBC is pretty much all based on driving & collision history, but didn't know what to expect for rates so that's a great guideline; thanks so much. Also great to know to bring my Alberta insurance docs over for the discounts.

We're looking to possibly set up in Nanaimo so I'll have a look around for a good mechanic. Sorry to hear about your experience; What did they do to your car??? No Smog? What does that entail?

Thanks Glen.

IN BC you are only tested for smog if you live in the lower mainland. No testing required on the Island.

In Greater Victoria you have 3 Ford location 1 suburban 2 Glenoak 3 Glenoak ( western communities). All three are owned by the Same Corporation.

1 Suburban did my TSB back in 08 Screwed it up the first time lied to me as to what went wrong, chipped paint on drivers door when they alined the door. I talked to another Shelby owner who was getting his oil changed at the dealer early in 08. He was told he would have to wait a bit for the job to be done as they were out of oil and had to go to Lordco to get more. The only warranty approved oil for our cars at the time was FORD oil and I know Lordco does not carry Ford oil. Who knows what they put in his car. Have not been back there!!!

2 Radio warranty from hell. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57797-07-shaker-1000-warranty-help/ and at the end of the day they had to replace my air bag cover because they had damaged it. The service writer at the end of the day finally said your car is not a standard ford product and we really don't know how to work on it.

During one of my many visits to the service area during this job. I over heard on of the service writers looking for a Super Snake computer. i asked the guy about it and he said a customer got a Super Snake blower and they needed a Super Snake computer to make it run. he told me who the customer was and I recalled meeting him a couple of years back at a car show, he talked a good mod and was good at selling his mustang mod shop, glad I didn't go there.

3 The dealer I bought my Shelby from Steve Marshall ford Nanaimo. They had imported the car from California. I had a hell of a time getting the DRL turned on and the proper customs paper work. The also installed my front plate bracket using fence hardware just destroyed the bumper under the bracket.

hope this helps

Glen

IN BC you are only tested for smog if you live in the lower mainland. No testing required on the Island.

In Greater Victoria you have 3 Ford location 1 suburban 2 Glenoak 3 Glenoak ( western communities). All three are owned by the Same Corporation.

1 Suburban did my TSB back in 08 Screwed it up the first time lied to me as to what went wrong, chipped paint on drivers door when they alined the door. I talked to another Shelby owner who was getting his oil changed at the dealer early in 08. He was told he would have to wait a bit for the job to be done as they were out of oil and had to go to Lordco to get more. The only warranty approved oil for our cars at the time was FORD oil and I know Lordco does not carry Ford oil. Who knows what they put in his car. Have not been back there!!!

2 Radio warranty from hell. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57797-07-shaker-1000-warranty-help/ and at the end of the day they had to replace my air bag cover because they had damaged it. The service writer at the end of the day finally said your car is not a standard ford product and we really don't know how to work on it.

During one of my many visits to the service area during this job. I over heard on of the service writers looking for a Super Snake computer. i asked the guy about it and he said a customer got a Super Snake blower and they needed a Super Snake computer to make it run. he told me who the customer was and I recalled meeting him a couple of years back at a car show, he talked a good mod and was good at selling his mustang mod shop, glad I didn't go there.

3 The dealer I bought my Shelby from Steve Marshall ford Nanaimo. They had imported the car from California. I had a hell of a time getting the DRL turned on and the proper customs paper work. The also installed my front plate bracket using fence hardware just destroyed the bumper under the bracket.

hope this helps

Glen

Glen;

That does help a lot! These are things that come down to the finer details and good to watch out for; in the end, they could cause a lot of grief like the mounting hardware for the front plate! I'm sure that they figured nobody would check that! I'll have to make sure I get it done right since I know I'll need it in BC.

Also thanks for filling me in on the smog issue too and would definitely make sense for the Vancouver area for sure.

If I get a bad vibe from any shop and they seemed puzzled as to how to work on a Shelby, I'll walk away. What about the authorized SVT Ford dealers? I know their shop rate is probably expensive, but you would think if they sell the product, they would know how to do work on it.

I'm sure there may be a few bumps along the way, but I can understand that and hopefully I'm that much more prepared with everyone's help here. Thanks again for taking the time to put your thoughts down Glen.

Rob

Now I just have to decide on colour too as so many of the combinations look really good, even the stripe deletes too. So far I'm favouring towards either flat black stripes on black, which I don't see too many of and the Kona blue with white stripes....Well, I have lots of time to make up my mind anyway as I really can't commit for about a year or so, but we'll see what happens.

If anyone else wants to throw their two cents worth in here, please feel free.....I'm learning tons.

So just looking for a guideline too for pricing!

I see whether people have bought in Canada or U.S., there is the MSRP price, then the actual list or cost price. What would everyone consider a good deal for the Shelby GT 500, such as so much above or below MSRP / list? I know since the car is quite in demand and special to say the least, there is little room for movement, but I'm curious to see what the norm has been when trying to wheel & deal with the dealerships?

• 2 weeks later...

I see whether people have bought in Canada or U.S., there is the MSRP price, then the actual list or cost price. What would everyone consider a good deal for the Shelby GT 500, such as so much above or below MSRP / list? I know since the car is quite in demand and special to say the least, there is little room for movement, but I'm curious to see what the norm has been when trying to wheel & deal with the dealerships?

How many of you bought in Canada? I take it most of you went to the U.S?

Personally I paid just over $3000 less than MSRP, but this is probably a little more exception than the rule, I've talked to many that have paid around MSRP or $1500 or so less but then some have paid $5000 or more over (more when they first rolled out). If you decide on something particular you may want to order direct from a dealer, a lot advertise to order for just under MSRP, that said the best deals I've seen come from ones dealers have had for a while. Example My link

The way the dollar has been lately I've been contemplating another trip south too.

How many of you bought in Canada? I take it most of you went to the U.S?

3 Shelby's bought.

1 from North Carolina

1 from Colorado

1 from Oklahoma

I have tried to find good cars here at home in motherland Canada but after 10 years of looking, I have come to the conclusion you have to head south of the border to find good stuff at a reasonable price. I sometimes feel a little bad that that I don't support the local economy but the reality is, if you want the best stuff for the best price, head south.

QSS

Personally I paid just over $3000 less than MSRP, but this is probably a little more exception than the rule, I've talked to many that have paid around MSRP or $1500 or so less but then some have paid $5000 or more over (more when they first rolled out). If you decide on something particular you may want to order direct from a dealer, a lot advertise to order for just under MSRP, that said the best deals I've seen come from ones dealers have had for a while. Example My link

The way the dollar has been lately I've been contemplating another trip south too.

J;

Thanks for the info! Exactly what I was looking for so I could at least have an idea before I delve into things....Holding off is getting a lot harder though after looking at so many cars online and reading everyone's comments.....Soon, very soon I hope!!!!

Like you said with our dollar though, makes sense to head south. Thanks for the link too!

3 Shelby's bought.

1 from North Carolina

1 from Colorado

1 from Oklahoma

I have tried to find good cars here at home in motherland Canada but after 10 years of looking, I have come to the conclusion you have to head south of the border to find good stuff at a reasonable price. I sometimes feel a little bad that that I don't support the local economy but the reality is, if you want the best stuff for the best price, head south.

QSS

Hey QSS;

You've done this a few times so you've seen for yourself the value of going south of the border. I'm like you and would love to support our local economy, but when there's such a drastic difference, how can anyone not go south?

Thanks for your insight; it helps a lot.

Aside from what the SVTPP has to offer with the suspension tuning, wheel & tire size, 3.73 diff, etc, has anyone compared driving with and without SVTPP? It seems that it's probably worth it, but wondering if anyone thinks otherwise?

I think I've found all the information that I've been looking for after looking at lots of different threads. Thx all for your help.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I am new to the site and am planning on purchasing a 2011 GT500 with SVT track package within the next month. I have been reading the posts on this thread and it seems many of you do not have any problems with warranty if purching the vehicle from the US. Heres my question and a little background about myself. I am a licensed technician for Audi in Markham, ON for about 8 months and before that I was at Honda for 5 years.

At Honda, we declined all warranty on cars from the US as per Honda Canada. Here at Audi, we had provided warranty on US vehicles without any questions up untill January of this year. Any warranty issues now have to be decided by Audi Canada and for the most part, the answer is no depending on the problem.

I had inquired about warranty on US vehicles at the Ford dealership thats close to my dealer hoping that them seeing me in my Audi uniform would get me a straight answer and they still said that they do not honour US warranty. Would I have to contact Ford Canada and have them email me a letter to show the service manager everytime I have an warranty related issue? The MSRP price tag on ford.com and ford.ca is about $11,000 which makes it very tempting to save and purchase from Buffalo where its only a 2 hour drive away. Anyone know what the dealer cost on the 2011 GT500 is for the Canadian dealers?

Thanks for reading and any comments would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. Im 26 and Chinese :D im sure ill be getting a lot of confused looks on the road

One more thing, the reason why im purchasing a new car is that I was rear ended at a redlight by someone who wasnt paying attention. After 8 years of being insured with StateFarm and having a clean record (no tickets or at fault accidents) they have decided to cancel my policy for my Honda Civic because it was modified. Gotta love insurance companies eh? Plus my clean record was still costing me $205 per month with only 3rd party liablity. Full coverage would have been $256 per month for the Civic. Now heres the funny part. Full coverage for the GT500 will cost me $245 per month? So a 2003 Civic worth $7000 stock is more expensive to insure than a brand new $60,000 Shelby...

A wholesale price for a GT500 which includes SVTPP,Nav would be $59,119 and the wholesale price for a base GT500 would be $55,419 look around theres still a few 11's around and the dealers want them off the lots a.s.a.p Insurance here in Ontario is a joke they wanted the same $$$$$ for a Honda Fit as for my GT500 :headscratch: what kill me the charge more depending on where you live???? If i was to move just 5 min North to Caledon i would pay way less :censored:

Archived