TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I may be selling my 335/30 and 275/35 Michelin PS2's................

I have now installed a Dunlop Sport Maxx GT 325/30 on my 12" Super Snake Alcoa and I like the way it fits in relation to the rear fender lip (flushness). So, now that I am at this point I am also going to want to use 275/35 Dunlop Sport Maxx GT's on the front to match on all four corners.

As many of you know, a matching pair of Michelin 275/35 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's are impossible to find if you choose to do the 335/30 PS2 rears, in fact I may have found the last new pair for sale in the U.S. If I were to put my 2-275/35 and 2-335/30 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's up for sale as a set, is there any interest in these tires on this forum? They have less than 40 miles on them.

Current TireRack price for the 335/30's is $494 plus shipping and the 275/35's are no longer listed in their price list and had showed "backorder" for months before that. I think they were priced at approx. $350 + or - each.

Picture1926-1.jpg

Picture1932.jpg

This would be tires only for sale, without the Alcoas.

R

Any pics of the wheels and those tires on the car?

Were you using the 335's on the 10 inch Alcoa?

I widened a pair of Alcoa's to 12" for the rear. Here are the tires installed.

Picture1960.jpg

CopyofPicture1965-1.jpg

Definitely a muscular look.

The tires and wheels before the install.

Picture1930.jpg

R

I widened a pair of Alcoa's to 12" for the rear. Here are the tires installed.

Definitely a muscular look.

Robert,

Who widened your wheels and how much did it cost you (cost of widening the wheels each, and the cost of shipping 2-ways)?

And IIRC, you had a set of front (9") 20's widened, no? How much did you have to widen the 9" wheels?

Was there a difference in off-set as you first reported or did you end up figuring out it was the same regardless of starting with a 9" or 10" (I seem to remember something like that)?

I've been having this evil little thought that keeps popping up in my head and it includes a set of widened 20" Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels.

As you may or may not know, I bought a full set of 18" KR Dura-Brights.

So I'm thinking...what if I bought a PAIR of 20" Alcoa's, widened them, installed them on the rear of the car but put a pair of 18" Alcoa's on the front of the car? Possibly even go with the same sidewall series on the KR wheels as I put on the rear to get a "raked" look (i.e. staggered, according to the new term).

Anyone have a photoshop program and the skills to "chop" that?

20's on the rear, 18's on the front. I did something similar to my son's 67 GTO with Centerlines. I think his was 15" rear and either 13 or 14 on the front (pretty sure it was 14 as I put disc brakes on it too).

I AM "old school" and that is a old school "trick" (rake it without raking it).

Thoughts (anyone/everyone else too)?

TIA,

Phill Pollard

2010 GT500

Robert,

Who widened your wheels and how much did it cost you (cost of widening the wheels each, and the cost of shipping 2-ways)?

And IIRC, you had a set of front (9") 20's widened, no? How much did you have to widen the 9" wheels?

Was there a difference in off-set as you first reported or did you end up figuring out it was the same regardless of starting with a 9" or 10" (I seem to remember something like that)?

I've been having this evil little thought that keeps popping up in my head and it includes a set of widened 20" Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels.

As you may or may not know, I bought a full set of 18" KR Dura-Brights.

So I'm thinking...what if I bought a PAIR of 20" Alcoa's, widened them, installed them on the rear of the car but put a pair of 18" Alcoa's on the front of the car? Possibly even go with the same sidewall series on the KR wheels as I put on the rear to get a "raked" look (i.e. staggered, according to the new term).

Anyone have a photoshop program and the skills to "chop" that?

20's on the rear, 18's on the front. I did something similar to my son's 67 GTO with Centerlines. I think his was 15" rear and either 13 or 14 on the front (pretty sure it was 14 as I put disc brakes on it too).

I AM "old school" and that is a old school "trick" (rake it without raking it).

Thoughts (anyone/everyone else too)?

TIA,

Phill Pollard

2010 GT500

Weldcraft did the wheels, rear only. I think it was $712.xx for the widening, grinding the viewable welds, and shipping back to me. This did not include the shipping cost for each wheel from me to Weldcraft. I have approx. $800 total in the pair. Grinding the viewable welds in the wheel area behind the spokes made all of the difference in the world when looking at the wheels.

The fronts are 9", not widened. The 275/35's fit very nicely on the 9" and need no additional rim width.

The front of my car has been dropped an additional 1/2" since the time of that picture, it has more of a rake now. Depending upon the tire choice, the 18" KR's "may" look o.k...........

R

Welcome to the 325 sportmaxx club :) I've been following but stopped commenting on all these Alcoa 335 posts and keep shaking my head. Yes I paid 800 per tire but to date, no fuss, no muss, no rub, no spacers......I read about cut this, cut that, no spacers, spacer on one side, rub going up the driveway on an angle etc.........and thought, wow!, what a nightmare.......what's the point of all these 335's if you worry everytime you go out and wonder......'did that just rub'?? No thanks, I very happy with a whole 10mm less in width.......to me, plenty wide and look cool. I've been happy with my choice and in fact, will buy another set 'just in case' before if they ever discontinue them.

Good for you and good luck. cheers!

Welcome to the 325 sportmaxx club :) I've been following but stopped commenting on all these Alcoa 335 posts and keep shaking my head. Yes I paid 800 per tire but to date, no fuss, no muss, no rub, no spacers......I read about cut this, cut that, no spacers, spacer on one side, rub going up the driveway on an angle etc.........and thought, wow!, what a nightmare.......what's the point of all these 335's if you worry everytime you go out and wonder......'did that just rub'?? No thanks, I very happy with a whole 10mm less in width.......to me, plenty wide and look cool. I've been happy with my choice and in fact, will buy another set 'just in case' before if they ever discontinue them.

Good for you and good luck. cheers!

To date I have still cut nothing on my car with the 335's, removed shock boots and brake ducts yes, cut anything, no. It is the profile that I am interested in the most. The 335's are the most tire that I would stuff under the rear of one of these cars and accept a meaty/muscular amount of tire sticking out that does not get to be too much. Let's face it, if you have one of these cars and are putting out 600, 650, 700, 750+ rwhp, rubber is going to be needed. There is the readily acceptable look that flush fits the rubber to the fender lip, but 325 is about it, then the is the ragged edge of acceptable which hangs the tires out just a little (1/2" or less but "no flat tread surface" out beyond the lip) as show in my pictures above, and then there is what is shown below......................

More rear tire for more grip and the sticking out gets even more, well, you be the judge...............

100_4724-1.jpg

The option on these cars? mini tubs? shortened axle? back half with full tubs?

R

Weldcraft did the wheels, rear only. I think it was $712.xx for the widening, grinding the viewable welds, and shipping back to me.

EACH!?

Of for a pair (2)?

Did that included the wheels or is that JUST the welding/grinding?

And how much of that was shipping?

What I'm trying to find out is, how much does it cost PER WHEEL for the widening. How much does it cost PER WHEEL for the shipping, etc.

I guess "itemized" would the the right word?

Because I'm thinking I can *probably* pick up a pair of TWO used Dura-Brights at a good price...and more likely if I find a pair of 9's rather than 10's (wide). I haven't found set yet, I'm just thinking that MAYBE I can.

Hell, even if I buy a new set at MSRP I can get them for just under 500 ea. Throw a TS Club discount on that and cheaper. Buy from Cruzin' Concepts, cheaper. (etc).

If you paid $712 JUST for getting a $500 wheel wider, that's WAY beyond what I want to spend. I'd put a stock/10" on and call it a day.

Thanks again,

Phill

EACH!?

Of for a pair (2)?

What I'm trying to find out is, how much does it cost PER WHEEL for the widening. How much does it cost PER WHEEL for the shipping, etc.

Because I'm thinking I can *probably* pick up a pair of TWO used Dura-Brights at a good price...and more likely if I find a pair of 9's rather than 10's (wide). I haven't found set yet, I'm just thinking that MAYBE I can.

Hell, even if I buy a new set at MSRP I can get them for just under 500 ea. Throw a TS Club discount on that and cheaper. Buy from Cruzin' Concepts, cheaper. (etc).

If you paid $712 JUST for getting a $500 wheel wider, that's WAY beyond what I want to spend. I'd put a stock/10" on and call it a day.

Thanks again,

Phill

Phil i just sent my Alcoas to have widened about 2 months ago sent them to Eric Vaughn Machine ,he did a great job on them and they balanced out perfect with very little weight for balancing . Erics in California much closer sending them to California for you instead of Michigan. cost me $300.00 a wheel and about 30.00 a wheel each way for shipping. Check him out he wideneds his wheel a little different than Weldcraft. He's told me his been doing this for over 30 years and a lot of his wheels run on the Bonneville salt flats at 200 to 400 mph without any failure.

Thanks Tom

EACH!?

Of for a pair (2)?

Thanks again,

Phill

Phil - That was my total bill. the wheels were $275 each to widen, the grinding/cleaning up of welds on the inside was $50 each and the rest was shipping. The amount of wheel weights per widened wheel was minimal once each tire was balanced, and when I say minimal I mean toward the outside face one small stick-on weight that can fit behind a single spoke was used per wheel and one small clip-on weight on the back/inside lip. my original 10" with the Pirelli's were not that clean of balancing weights.

BTW - If you are able to find actual Super Snake logo'ed Alcoa's for $500ea., (not the generic Shelby Forged Dura-Brights), there are quite a few people who will want to get in touch with you, Super Snake owners and wanna-bee's.

R

Phil i just sent my Alcoas to have widened about 2 months ago sent them to Eric Vaughn Machine ,he did a great job on them and they balanced out perfect with very little weight for balancing . Erics in California much closer sending them to California for you instead of Michigan. cost me $300.00 a wheel and about 30.00 a wheel each way for shipping. Check him out he wideneds his wheel a little different than Weldcraft. He's told me his been doing this for over 30 years and a lot of his wheels run on the Bonneville salt flats at 200 to 400 mph without any failure.

Thanks Tom

I like Eric's method also. It is clean. I wonder if he offers a service to make the weld go away through grinding or other method inside the wheel?

R

BTW- If you are able to find actual Super Snake logo'ed Alcoa's for $500ea., (not the generic Shelby Forged Dura-Brights), there are quite a few people who will want to get in touch with you, Super Snake owners and wanna-bee's.

Oh, I don't need (nor particulaly want) Super Snake badged wheels. Like I said in another post, I wish my 18" KR wheels didn't say KR on them. The GT500 part is fine but I'm not trying to clone a KR or impress anyone because I have KR wheels....I just wanted 18" wheels and love the 10-spoke Alcoa Dura-Brights so the ONLY choice was KR wheels.

I mean, if I found two SS badged Alcoa's for a decent price (LESS THAN $495 ea.) I'd buy them but I will *NOT* pay a "premium" for a pair of wheels just because they say Super Snake on them.

My objective would be 10-spoke Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels all the way around but with 20's in the back and 18's in the front (at this point, just THINKING about it), not necessarily special badged wheels (SS or KR).

And with the costs I'm hearing for wider rims, I'm not so sure I would't just forgo the widening and stick a set of whatever the widest tire you can fit on a 10 SS STYLE wheel is.

And thanks for ALL of your help/advice/information! (all of you).

Phill

Phil i just sent my Alcoas to have widened about 2 months ago sent them to Eric Vaughn Machine ,

Where do I find him or his biz?

Google?

TIA,

Phill (guess I could check!!!)

Oh, I don't need (nor particulaly want) Super Snake badged wheels. Like I said in another post, I wish my 18" KR wheels didn't say KR on them. The GT500 part is fine but I'm not trying to clone a KR or impress anyone because I have KR wheels....I just wanted 18" wheels and love the 10-spoke Alcoa Dura-Brights so the ONLY choice was KR wheels.

I mean, if I found two SS badged Alcoa's for a decent price (LESS THAN $495 ea.) I'd buy them but I will *NOT* pay a "premium" for a pair of wheels just because they say Super Snake on them.

My objective would be 10-spoke Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels all the way around but with 20's in the back and 18's in the front (at this point, just THINKING about it), not necessarily special badged wheels (SS or KR).

And with the costs I'm hearing for wider rims, I'm not so sure I would't just forgo the widening and stick a set of whatever the widest tire you can fit on a 10 SS STYLE wheel is.

And thanks for ALL of your help/advice/information! (all of you).

Phill

Yes Phill, KR, SS, or just Shelby Forged, the Alcoa Dura-Brights are in demand. It seems that they are on backorder quite often................there is a reason. They are in demand.

Now that the widening and tire options are being explored (and verified), they will continue to be in demand for some time to come.

Oh, and then the option of dark Alcoa's now available, another "plus". The Alcoa's will be here for a while........................

I would like to see the 18" front - 20" rear raked look with Alcoas.

R

Where do I find him or his biz?

Phil, apparently you have missed this thread. lol.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/55653-bigger-rear-tires/page__st__380__p__1131365&do=findComment&comment=1131365

See my post #392. = pics.

You will NOT want to get the tig weld knocked down on Eric's work. This would inherently affect the weld's integrity .

Eric's weld looks "machined" and looks damn near perfect. No one will ever see the "one" weld.

My local wheel & tire shop friend first reaction said ... WOW! Needless to say me too. This is probably one of the best mods a high HP mustang owner should do.

Your options:

1 .one "machined" tig weld or

2. added material and two tig welds.

See "BonDoc" posts #35

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/55653-bigger-rear-tires/page__view__findpost__p__962872

Robert decision to go to the Dunlop 325/30 is ideally the perfect tire solution .... pending money is no object and one is "OCD", lol.

Personally, I hated spending $500+ each for the Michelin PS2 rears and spending $800+ each on the Dunlop tires, well, I just could not justify the expense.

I wanted to match fronts, however, Michelin is not releasing the new 275/35's unitl after April 4 @ $364+.

I have always preferred Michelin over any other tire, however, I am completely happy with the Nitto Invo 275/35 @ $289 each on the fronts, so, matching the "name brand" of the tires, front and back was not a deal breaker, $$$ was.

275/35 Michelin's are perfect for the front 9" Alcoas, there is NO side wall bulge, which is perfect for the fronts and ultimately handling.

335/30 on 11.75" there is a little bit of a "bulge" but it looks good.

Good luck.

Phil, apparently you have missed this thread. lol.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/55653-bigger-rear-tires/page__st__380__p__1131365&do=findComment&comment=1131365

See my post #392. = pics.

You will NOT want to get the tig weld knocked down on Eric's work. This would inherently affect the weld's integrity .

Eric's weld looks "machined" and looks damn near perfect. No one will ever see the "one" weld.

My local wheel & tire shop friend first reaction said ... WOW! Needless to say me too. This is probably one of the best mods a high HP mustang owner should do.

Your options:

1 .one "machined" tig weld or

2. added material and two tig welds.

See "BonDoc" posts #35

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/55653-bigger-rear-tires/page__view__findpost__p__962872

Robert decision to go to the Dunlop 325/30 is ideally the perfect tire solution .... pending money is no object and one is "OCD", lol.

Personally, I hated spending $500+ each for the Michelin PS2 rears and spending $800+ each on the Dunlop tires, well, I just could not justify the expense.

I wanted to match fronts, however, Michelin is not releasing the new 275/35's unitl after April 4 @ $364+.

I have always preferred Michelin over any other tire, however, I am completely happy with the Nitto Invo 275/35 @ $289 each on the fronts, so, matching the "name brand" of the tires, front and back was not a deal breaker, $$$ was.

275/35 Michelin's are perfect for the front 9" Alcoas, there is NO side wall bulge, which is perfect for the fronts and ultimately handling.

335/30 on 11.75" there is a little bit of a "bulge" but it looks good.

Good luck.

Are the April release 275/35's going to be the PS2 variety of Pilot Sport or the new/different design Pilot Sport?

The smoothed welds..........................

Picture1929.jpg

Picture1928-1.jpg

R

The Pilot Super Sport is the NEW PS2.

PS2 tire will not be produced anymore.

Click on this link. Scroll down to the bottom and watch the video.

http://www.porschebl...ot-super-sport/

Michelin's Pilot Super Sport website:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/name/pilot-super-sport-tires/

The Pilot Super Sport is the NEW PS2.

PS2 tire will not be produced anymore.

Click on this link. Scroll down to the bottom and watch the video.

http://www.porschebl...ot-super-sport/

Michelin's Pilot Super Sport website:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/name/pilot-super-sport-tires/

Thanks Van, I see it is now a Pilot Super Sport with a new tread design, no more PS2 designation.

To all who read this tread. I have no leanings either way about who widens your wheels, I am very happy with what Weldcraft has done for me, and Eric's work looks beautiful! I would be happy to use Weldcraft again, or use Eric the next time. At the time when some of us sent our wheels out for widening, Eric's name/shop had not been posted on this forum. I did not know anything about him, or his work.

I have a friend who powder coats and I know that dull silver/aluminum color is available that would closely match the color/finish on the inner portion of the Alcoa wheels. Hmmmm, with a nice thin even powder coating job on the inside only, most, if not all signs of widening/grinding would disappear.......................Hmmmmmm.

R

Just out of curiosity, are the 255/35 ps2 available? any reason why guys wont use them on the front?

Even in the Pirelli P Zero set up, the 255's are a little bit on the small side and it is nice, with these 3800lb+ nose heavy cars to have just a little more meat on the front and the 275's fit the 9" very well. < Just my opinion.

I measured my 255/35 Pirelli P Zero on the original Alcoa 9" rim, the actual tread contact area of the 255 is 8". The 275/35 on this same 9" Alcoa gives a 9" or maybe even 9.25 tread contact area. 1" is not a huge difference, but just looking at the two 9" rims the 275 fits much better.

275/35 PS2 Michelin w/9" Alcoa..................

Picture1855.jpg

255/35 P Zero Pirelli w/9" Alcoa.................

008.jpg

R

Hey Robert when will you have the Dunlop Sport Maxx GT's mounted up with some pics? :drool: I think a 275/35 front 325/30 rear are going to look perfect. Curious how they perform.

I will add some pictures once the project is done. My tire dealer friend is inter-store transfering the 275's this week and they "should" be to his store by the end of the week. The other/quicker option was to have them shipped sooner, but then that would have cost me shipping charges, I told him I can wait.

I want to make sure that the 275/35 Dunlops fit the 9" Alcoas as well, or better than the 275/35 PS2's, and the PS2's fit very well. If by chance the 275/35's are on the small side, not good................if they are on the wide side and the 9" Alcoa needs to be widened to get the "right look", that is a whole other $700+ Weldcraft issue. Only when the Dunlops are mounted will I know exactly how they fit on a 9" rim. We will see..........

R

Still waiting for the 275/35 Sport Maxx GT's. I thought they would be in this past week, but no such luck.

One thing I did research was the spec'ed size of the 275/35/20 Sport Maxx GT, it shows a "tread width" (not section width) of 10.1. There may be a chance that these Dunlops will mount on a 10" Alcoa for the front, instead of a 9.

R

Archived