TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Where the rubber meets the road - 2011 GT 500

NMAv

I have a 2011 GT 500 with the SV option which gives you the 20 inch rear rims, P285 tires. Traction seems to be a problem so I'm looking at different tires - something with better grip and a bit wider and perhaps wider rims. I've read how some people have had their stock rims widened so they can accommodate wider tires. What size tire can you safely put on the stock rim (can you go beyond the P285. How much can you safely (esthetics being taken into consideration of course) expand the stock rims? And then what size tire would I be able to run?

My thinking is that the more rubber I have on the road the better off traction will be on a straight line at least.

Thanks in advance,

NMAv

Mine hook up pretty good once you heat them up. No tire is going to be able hook up 550 hp when its cold outside and the rubber isn't up to temp yet. The rubber is a race spec compound which is like driving on ice until its warmed up as stated in the owner manual and doesn't recommend driving in temp below 40' simply for that reason. Try getting the tires nice and hot before you decide to put the hammer down in the lower gears. That usually takes a lap or two at the road course and a short three second 2nd gear burnout. Also try playing around with your traction control settings. I have the least amount of wheel spin when I turn everything off, especially when I grab 2nd gear.

I started the 305-35-20 topic and the tires are great! The best solution for someone that does not want to mess with moding/widening the wheels. The hook and look great. Its a no brainer :)

Pics?

I started the 305-35-20 topic and the tires are great! The best solution for someone that does not want to mess with moding/widening the wheels. The hook and look great. Its a no brainer :)

In your research did you come up with the max size that the 2011 SVT can accomodate without any cutting etc?

Mine hook up pretty good once you heat them up. No tire is going to be able hook up 550 hp when its cold outside and the rubber isn't up to temp yet. The rubber is a race spec compound which is like driving on ice until its warmed up as stated in the owner manual and doesn't recommend driving in temp below 40' simply for that reason. Try getting the tires nice and hot before you decide to put the hammer down in the lower gears. That usually takes a lap or two at the road course and a short three second 2nd gear burnout. Also try playing around with your traction control settings. I have the least amount of wheel spin when I turn everything off, especially when I grab 2nd gear.

I noticed the same thing when I had my 2011 GT500 with the SVTPP. Once temps around here got into the high 70s and I put some heat in the tires they did much better. I still couldn't go full throttle in first, but by second gear things hooked up pretty good on decent roads. I'm not sure you will find a much better tire in the factory size. I'm sure going wider will help, but make sure you keep the same ratio front to back so you don't throw off the handling characteristics of the car. If you get too much rear traction and don't add anything to the front your car will start to understeer more in corners.

Archived