TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SCCA AutoX

Well, I finally decided to try SCCA autoX and solo events, WOW! what a great time! I wish I would have done this years ago.

This is a lot more fun than going to car shows and sitting around in the hot sun all day.

I have already done several mods to my car that will prevent it from running in the stock class and I don't think I will be getting serious enough to worry about keeping it within a certain class... just want to have fun for now!

I would like to work up to doing high speed events at some of the road courses in my area (South East) and would like to hear from those who have gone before me on what mods you have made to your car and how well they improved the handling. Please let me know what tires/wheels/brakes & suspension mods have worked the best. If I decide to put a roll bar and racing seats in the car (2007 SGT) are there certain ones that need to be SCCA approved?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Mark

Just road raced for the first time myself last weekend and my immediate critique is of course brakes... and MAKE SURE you turn your TCS off. Otherwise your rear pads will be gone in one day. That aside, I was VERY impressed with how capable our cars are. I was pretty aggressive all weekend and, not once did I feel the car was deficient in any area other than braking. Granted my ability hasn't quite gotten to the level to max the car out, but still, I was very impressed.

PS - I got A LOT of props form the Porsche and BMW crowd (the majority of the cars that were out there). There were pretty impressed that the bohemoth Shelby/Mustang was tearing up the track so well! :shift:

I'm getting ready to try my first autocross session as soon as I get my SS brakeline installed and I just bought the GT500 brake cooling duct since I am running GT500 brembos. Curious 07SGT 5687, why are you selling the GT500 ducts, also did you run with the 20's.

Curious 07SGT 5687, why are you selling the GT500 ducts, also did you run with the 20's.

Not selling the ducts... selling the brakes. Bought the Baer Ext+ front kit Shelby had on sale. And yes, I did run with my 20's and street Nitto 555's. The weight probably didn't help much, but it sure cornered well. With that little/medium amount of sidewall flex, it handled really well. Just needed more brakes. There was an MR2 out there that literally weighed HALF of what my car did!

Not selling the ducts... selling the brakes. Bought the Baer Ext+ front kit Shelby had on sale. And yes, I did run with my 20's and street Nitto 555's. The weight probably didn't help much, but it sure cornered well. With that little/medium amount of sidewall flex, it handled really well. Just needed more brakes. There was an MR2 out there that literally weighed HALF of what my car did!

Ah, nice!! Well post those up on the S197 forums, they will sell pretty fast over there.

I plan on running my 20's also as a first timer that's what one of the instructors told me to do. Then when I know my limits he said I should throw a set if beat up wheels that are strictly for the road course. I'm still looking for which fluid to go with, Motul or Brembo.

Ah, nice!! Well post those up on the S197 forums, they will sell pretty fast over there.

I plan on running my 20's also as a first timer that's what one of the instructors told me to do. Then when I know my limits he said I should throw a set if beat up wheels that are strictly for the road course. I'm still looking for which fluid to go with, Motul or Brembo.

Same here now, I'm starting to look for a set of road course wheels/tires... this mind you, comes exactly 1 friggin day after the wheels I "needed" for drag racing finally showed up... which I may never do again. I think I might keep an eye out for a CCW.. TYPE wheel. No way I can afford the actually FRPP CCW wheels, but I think there are some decent options out there like them.

Also when you decide on fluid, let me know. After this weekend, my fluid REALLY needs to be flushed and I'm not sure what to use. And I'll be searching/asking for some help on how to FLUSH a brake system too. Haven't done that before.

Just road raced for the first time myself last weekend and my immediate critique is of course brakes... and MAKE SURE you turn your TCS off. Otherwise your rear pads will be gone in one day. That aside, I was VERY impressed with how capable our cars are. I was pretty aggressive all weekend and, not once did I feel the car was deficient in any area other than braking. Granted my ability hasn't quite gotten to the level to max the car out, but still, I was very impressed.

PS - I got A LOT of props form the Porsche and BMW crowd (the majority of the cars that were out there). There were pretty impressed that the bohemoth Shelby/Mustang was tearing up the track so well! :shift:

It's great fun, isn't it? Nothing like getting out there and wheel-to-wheeling it with the other enlightened individuals.

I did quite a bit of that, way back in history, in an MGB and MGB GT and a VEGA Kammback and GT coupe. It didn't take much to get into SCCA racing back then: a little rollover bar, a little Snell-approved helmet, a little Nomex suit, a little driver school, and bang! Bob's your uncle.

Nowadays all the fun I can afford - or want to gobble up, actually - can be had in track days: don't need a rollover bar or cage in a hardtop, don't need a Nomex suit, don't really need driver schools in most places. Got that modern Snell-approved helmet, though.

Yes, it's fun. I'd like to road race just once, to see if I can still handle it, but even in a rent-a-racer it's expensive.

I envy you.

Same here now, I'm starting to look for a set of road course wheels/tires... this mind you, comes exactly 1 friggin day after the wheels I "needed" for drag racing finally showed up... which I may never do again. I think I might keep an eye out for a CCW.. TYPE wheel. No way I can afford the actually FRPP CCW wheels, but I think there are some decent options out there like them.

Also when you decide on fluid, let me know. After this weekend, my fluid REALLY needs to be flushed and I'm not sure what to use. And I'll be searching/asking for some help on how to FLUSH a brake system too. Haven't done that before.

I run Motul RBF 660 and it's worked out great. There are plenty of other good brands to choose from. When you flush the brakes, you must be sure NOT to drain the reservoir too low. Bleed the brakes a little and add new fluid, then repeat, but never empty the system. Do this until you only have new fluid coming from each caliper. You'll use a lot of extra fluid this way, but you'll be sure that you haven't trapped air in your ABS system, which is a nightmare to get out. Look into the reverse brake bleeder from Griot's. Also, the stainless steel speed bleeders are a nice upgrade for quick, easy brake fluid changes/flushes. Good luck

Yeah, I've tried the drag racing thing but to be honest the guys with automatics and somekind of power adder always win so with my N/A engine I kind of gave up on the fact that a power adder may not come for a while(wife wants a baby). Also I agree with the OP, road course is better than car shows sitting around all day and not using these great cars for what they are made for. I went to Homestead Speedway recently and watch those guys run and I am hooked, the Vette guys, Miata guys and even Ferari guys were nice enough to give me pointers.

Look at this AC kit car, it was sweet!!!

c30dd370.jpg

Well, I finally decided to try SCCA autoX and solo events, WOW! what a great time! I wish I would have done this years ago.

This is a lot more fun than going to car shows and sitting around in the hot sun all day.

I have already done several mods to my car that will prevent it from running in the stock class and I don't think I will be getting serious enough to worry about keeping it within a certain class... just want to have fun for now!

I would like to work up to doing high speed events at some of the road courses in my area (South East) and would like to hear from those who have gone before me on what mods you have made to your car and how well they improved the handling. Please let me know what tires/wheels/brakes & suspension mods have worked the best. If I decide to put a roll bar and racing seats in the car (2007 SGT) are there certain ones that need to be SCCA approved?

Mark

Welcome the the world of enjoying your Shelby where it should be: at speed in an event. The big reason

I bought the SGT was to autox it last year and it did not disappoint (first place in its class in my region, thanks

mostly to the car rather than the driver who's still learning how to manhandle the thing). I'm keeping it stock

again this year, but your mods probably don't take it beyond E Street Prepared (unless it's blown) where

the SGT is still very competitive. If you plan to do some track days, then brakes as it has been mentioned

previously is a good idea. Plus R compound tires which will really bend your mind. Some can be used for

both track and autox events.

I also bought the SGT for other types of racing, so I'm adding visits to my local drag strip this year while keeping

it stock. Don't need to the car to be any faster while learning. That can come later when I decide to mod out to

E Street Prepared.

Enjoy!

-Tom

I ran in F stock last year with the Chattanooga Tn group. Lots of fun auto crossing the GT. Now that I supercharged the car I'm bumped up to SM (Street Modified). It's a tougher crowd in that class. The shelby GT took first place in the national solo evvents three years in a row, same all three years, driver's name was Sam Strano I think.

Mark

Hey Everybody, THANKS for all the advice!

I found out that most everybody I talked to are more than willing to help newcomers get started in SCCA Solo and Autocross racing. Here is some of the best advise I received:

1. Leave your car stock (save your money) and learn how to drive it. It's a lot more capable than you are and there is plenty of time later if you want to modify it.

2. Go to Dave Gran's web site: www.goaheadtakethewheel.com, read, read, read. Dave even has a mentor program where he will assign you an experienced driver to help you get started.

3. Join SCCA or at least the local region in your area. Get on the local regions web site, read the blogs, talk to members, take the novice school if offered, have their instructors ride along with you to give you pointers (this will keep you from developing bad habits that will be tough to break later). Attend as many events as you can (seat time is the most important thing in the beginning).

4. Once you can drive the car and decide you want to go faster, stop quicker and handle better, buy or download the SCCA rule book (www.scca.com) for your type of racing. Each class has limitations on the modifications you can do before you are bumped to another class. You don't want to do one mod that will bump you into the next class where the cars with lots of mods are running faster than you.

5. Sam Strano has won multiple national SCCA championships driving a Camaro, Shelby GT, and now a 2011 Mustang GT.

He knows what it takes to be competitive and win and is willing to help us newbies. His web site is www.stranoparts.com.

Lastly... good luck and have fun! This is the reason CS designed our cars in the first place!

Mark

I LOVE the SGT for track days! Sold the 40th and kept the SGT because it can't be beat in the turns.

I use Motul brake fluid because in a pinch it can be mixed with regular brake fluid without any issues. I placed Brembos on the front and can't wait to try out the adjustable caster/camber plates this year. I also use my take off GT500 wheels with a set of racing tires that I picked up for $500 that had 40 minuters of track practice time. You can get very slightly used tires easily for around $100 each. I also purchased a tuner and will try the race tune in a few weeks.

I considered joining SCCA for the autocross but with the track 30 minutes away and "Touring Club" twice a month for $60 -$100 I just go for the fun of it. Can't pass in the turns but plenty of fun!

Good luck and enjoy the car for what it is built to do.

Jon

Archived