TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Any GT-H Owners here?

crispy23c

They're all in the shop getting new trannies, engines, brakes and tires after the abuse they suffered at the hands of all those "renters!" :hysterical2:

They're all in the shop getting new trannies, engines, brakes and tires after the abuse they suffered at the hands of all those "renters!" :hysterical2:

OWCH! That is cold!!! ;)

Haven't had a bite yet......just wondering if they (the owners) went off and formed their own little club or sumpin'...

The dealership I work for has a GT-H for sale now. Click here for pics. We have it marked up just a few thousand over what we had to pay Hertz/Ford at auction, but nothing outrageous. Nice car, nice price.

This car is in much nicer shape than I expected, based on all the preconceived notions of what happens to rental cars - especially a high performance rental car. No signs of abuse or damage, everything present and accounted for, etc. Also, ours was a local car (SeaTac Int'l Airport Hertz location).

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Mar 14 2007, 01:25 PM) 114819[/snapback]
The dealership I work for has a GT-H for sale now. Click here for pics. We have it marked up just a few thousand over what we had to pay Hertz/Ford at auction, but nothing outrageous. Nice car, nice price.

This car is in much nicer shape than I expected, based on all the preconceived notions of what happens to rental cars - especially a high performance rental car. No signs of abuse or damage, everything present and accounted for, etc. Also, ours was a local car (SeaTac Int'l Airport Hertz location).

What's it going for?

Five Oh B, check out how Edmunds.com "rented" the Shelby GT-H...definitely do not want that one...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=116729

I would suspect that at least 80 percent of the GT-Hs were similarly abused...and those problems will surface after the unsuspecting buyer owns the vehicle...again, NO THANKS...

What's it going for?

$59,950. Again, just a few thousands more than we paid. The bidding was quite frenzied when we bought it. But, it appears to be unharmed and no signs of abuse. Heck, anyone buying my Mustang GT someday is going to get a more abused car than those buying GT-H's - have you ever seen how I drive?

Five Oh B, check out how Edmunds.com "rented" the Shelby GT-H...definitely do not want that one...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=116729

I would suspect that at least 80 percent of the GT-Hs were similarly abused...and those problems will surface after the unsuspecting buyer owns the vehicle...again, NO THANKS...

Edmunds.com had car #266. Depending on your perspective, this could be a good car to buy (some journalism history to document) or a bad car to buy (a little abuse, and trust me, spinning the tires isn't that bad on a car).

Heck, you should take a ride with me in my 07 Mustang GT. After just a minute, you'd swear you would never buy my car when it eventually goes up for sale in a couple years. Mustangs are engineered and designed to withstand hard driving and the occasional trip to the track. I don't believe for a second that the Shelby GT-H's will have any more problems surfacing than other privately owned Mustangs.

Five Oh B, the operative words in your reply are: "buy my car when it eventually goes up for sale in a couple years." Most people would buy their vehicles to keep a bit longer than a couple of years (especially a prized Shelby)...I don't beat my GT and I certainly don't beat my Vette...do I drive them vigorously, hit the rev limiter a few times? Yes, but the drive shaft, tranny, etc., are not indestructible. And since I know there are folks out there who do beat on their sportscars...I always buy them new and pray that the 2 or 3 miles on the odo when I purchase them were not put on there by Mr. Leadfoot (aka the dealer prep guy). Again, just my opinion.

And we all know that the 2007 Shelby GT-H renters "babied" them...right? They abused them back in the late sixties and they've most certainly done it again.

A friend of mine has one. He has had it a few months already. He bought directly from A Local Hertz agency. The car had never been rented, it was only driven the 1,200 miles back to Kansas and now has about 2,500 miles on it. He has all the Ford factory and Shelby Automobiles paperwork. He says he wants to buy another one from the rental fleet and use it as a driver and sell the one he has now. When Hertz found out he had this car they asked him not to sell it until the regular rental fleet went up for sale. They said his car was only the second to be sold to the public and they had promised Ford the cars would be sold back to Ford and not sold to individuals. the Hertz store he got it from is not owned by the company, and the owner had not signed an agreement not to sell it to anyone. My friend agreed not to sell until the rental fleet hit the dealers and in return Hertz agreed to sell him a second car at reduced price. He got the agreement in writing.

dlangvardt, your friend is very lucky...it should be in pretty good shape (also considering most of those miles are highway miles)...his will be one of the very few that wasn't driven by 30 or so drivers during its rental life and/or taken on the back streets and raced, etc.

dlangvardt, your friend is very lucky...it should be in pretty good shape (also considering most of those miles are highway miles)...his will be one of the very few that wasn't driven by 30 or so drivers during its rental life and/or taken on the back streets and raced, etc.

Mark25, you sure are worried about rental miles and abuse. There's an old saying about breaking in new cars/engine. "Break it in like a baby and you'll get a baby." I've always treated my own new cars and rebuilt engines as rough as I intended to drive them long term. I believe that you'll get a few more horsepower out of a seasoned engine.

How tough could 30 or so renters really be on a tough car that was overengineered with mods and upgrades in mind? Ford durability tests Mustangs to withstand a lot more than the average owner will ever dish out. And, the GT-H's are all automatic cars with traction controlled permanently enabled, so it's not like the tires were spinning like crazy all the time and a clutch was being side-stepped. Also, the computer has a redline limiter and top-end limiter to protect dumb drivers from exceeding to safe operating parameters of the drivetrain.

Also, think about the demographics of the vast majority of the people that rented the GT-H's. At $150-$300 per day, these were not pimple-faced adolescents going for a joyride. Many were guys like us who were curious about how the car drove, or who wanted a V8-burble in their rental car. Very, very few people rented them to explorer the absolute limits of performance (outside of the handful or renegade magazine/media guys who rented them for sensational flogging for articles).

You're making the GT-H's out to be all worn out and tatterred, with lots of hidden damage waiting to manifest down the road. And you're making the people who rented them out to be idiots hell-bent on beating the crud out of these cars. Things are quite different than in 1966, and Ford/Shelby/Hertz did a much better job of minimizing the possibility of damage and abuse this go around. Yeah, sure, a few idiots got ahold of a couple GT-H's, but the vast majority likely had a very cushy life in the rental fleet and were well maintained and worthy of consideration for the Shelby affecianado.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Mar 18 2007, 05:29 PM) 116894[/snapback]
Mark25, you sure are worried about rental miles and abuse. There's an old saying about breaking in new cars/engine...........

Yeah, sure, a few idiots got ahold of a couple GT-H's, but the vast majority likely had a very cushy life in the rental fleet and were well maintained and worthy of consideration for the Shelby affecianado.

Five Oh, I think he wants one, and he's trying to drive the prices down all by himself! :hysterical:

I think they are beautiful cars, but the price is more than I would be willing to pay. Good luck with your sale....

Five Oh, I think he wants one, and he's trying to drive the prices down all by himself! :hysterical:

I think they are beautiful cars, but the price is more than I would be willing to pay. Good luck with your sale....

Crispy23c, I believe you are correct. If Mark25 really didn't like the GT-H, why would he post multiple times about them. Your theory makes sense.

I, too, can't bring myself to pay that much for any car (I'm a poor working guy), but the GT-H is such a cool car and will fit right into Shelby history. A friend/neighbor of mine is buying our GT-H. I went on a long test drive with him and his wife yesterday. A drive in a GT-H will make a believer out of anyone, as long as you don't mind the stiff ride (Ford Handling Package). We're just working on some minor details on his trade-in and financing at this point, but he should be taking the GT-H home tonight. He already has a 2007 GT500, so he'll have two Shelby's in the garage! He has indicated that the GT-H will likely be driven more, as it is a more precise tool for an entertaining drive. The GT500 is too powerful for most people, most of the time, and requires a lot of attention, while the GT-H is such a well-balanced and all-around performer.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Mar 19 2007, 01:18 PM) 117301[/snapback]
Crispy23c, I believe you are correct. If Mark25 really didn't like the GT-H, why would he post multiple times about them. Your theory makes sense.

I, too, can't bring myself to pay that much for any car (I'm a poor working guy), but the GT-H is such a cool car and will fit right into Shelby history. A friend/neighbor of mine is buying our GT-H. I went on a long test drive with him and his wife yesterday. A drive in a GT-H will make a believer out of anyone, as long as you don't mind the stiff ride (Ford Handling Package). We're just working on some minor details on his trade-in and financing at this point, but he should be taking the GT-H home tonight. He already has a 2007 GT500, so he'll have two Shelby's in the garage! He has indicated that the GT-H will likely be driven more, as it is a more precise tool for an entertaining drive. The GT500 is too powerful for most people, most of the time, and requires a lot of attention, while the GT-H is such a well-balanced and all-around performer.

Your neighbor is a lucky guy. I have only seen 2 on the road up my way. One parked, and one barelling down the road at me. Both had presence. The car definitely has a 'vibe' to it. It's visceral. Amy & the gang did a really nice job on this car.

Five Oh B,

crispy is partially correct...I do love the color scheme of the GT-H...but they should offer it on a NON-RENTED vehicle...(i.e. the Shelby GT should have been offered in the black/gold color scheme)...that I would definitely consider purchasing...

Five Oh B,

crispy is partially correct...I do love the color scheme of the GT-H...but they should offer it on a NON-RENTED vehicle...(i.e. the Shelby GT should have been offered in the black/gold color scheme)...that I would definitely consider purchasing...

I agree, they are beauties! You could do 2 things:

1) Find a used low-mileage one. You may have to be patient and it could take a while.

2) Order a new black Shelby GT, carefully remove the stripes and add the Hertz stripes.

Just trying to help!

• 7 months later...
I agree, they are beauties! You could do 2 things:

1) Find a used low-mileage one. You may have to be patient and it could take a while.

2) Order a new black Shelby GT, carefully remove the stripes and add the Hertz stripes.

Just trying to help!

Hey, I got #286 in New Mexico. Car was a San Diego rental. Car has 24K on it, seems as solid as just off production line mechanically. Only issues are cosmetic; a few dings, stripes are faded, but nothing major. One of 500 built, the GT-H reintroduced the Shelby Mustang line!!!

JW

post-10784-1194567369_thumb.jpg

post-10784-1194567369_thumb.jpg

hey jw whats up, I am here too i own #168 and its in dam good shape, stripes a little faded nothing else to pick on and when i bought it the dealer certified it and gave it a 6/ 75 powertrain warrenty. so I will drive the ***t out of it and not worry its covered. also hear some cars went to hertz execs and some were totaled so the actual #s left to privetly own are getting smaller every day.I think the GT-H will be a great part of shelby history but I bought it cause I like it.

I think those that have negative opinions should keep them to themselves. We bought these cars for the love of them. I could've bought a new GT or GT500 if I wanted. I chose the Hertz because of the lifelong love of the brand. It is unlike anything else out there.

My tranny will probably blow out about the same time as anyone else's.

If we can't appreciate each other's rides, this will never work.

Since this will be THE Shelby forum very soon, let's develop a GT-H presence as soon as possible!

I bought number 242 in October and just love it.

Mark 25 will be happy to know it had 7900 miles at purchase, I calculate about 20-30 lucky renters who drove it before I did. In addition to having a great story about the car (I love telling people it was a rental) I really enjoy flipping the keys to every one of my neighbors and seeing them enjoy it as much as I do.

Like I tell everyone who drives it...There isn't much you can do that already hasn't been done to this car. Might as well have fun.

The only issue I have with my car is getting to the garage before my wife takes it!

My GT500 was built in the 3rd week of production, has the 17th 40th Anniversary Package (07XL0017), is the first 40th in Canada, and was hand signed

by Carroll at a private 40th event party at the Shelby plant in Las Vegas!!! I absolutely LOVE it, but it is now too rare to drive on a regular basis. So when

my wife and I were in Vegas for the party with Carroll we rented a GTH. I was very impressed with it!!! I LOVE the exhaust note!!! I also took good care

of it myself, and treated it like a Shelby deserves to be treated. We are hoping to be able to buy a vert as a daily driver in the near future.

KingCobra.

Just brought home GT-H #97 yesterday! Had just a little over 12K miles on it. I rented #211 in Tampa last summer and got bite by the Shelby bug then. I just had to wait until the prices came down a little bit to be able to buy one. But now I'm a pround Shelby owner here in Indiana.

• 2 months later...

Another happy Hertz owner - brought home # 71 a couple of weeks ago. Drives great, no rattles, no scratches or dings. I was pleasantly surprised, most rental cars have the bumpers all scratched from the suitcases going in and out of the truck. Of course the GTH's won't have that problem as there really isn't room for any suitcases.

Not sure if I attached the pics right, but attached one of the car before cleaning it up. It had been at the Ford dealer for a few months in storage.

Only has 13K on it, can't be hurt too bad. I have a '90 GT that has been run hard many times with 150K on it. At least at a rental fleet it got scheduled oil changes.

before

post-13148-1201059074_thumb.jpg

after

post-13148-1201059129_thumb.jpg

This looks real nice next to my 1964 1/2 Mustang. :happy feet:

post-13148-1201059074_thumb.jpg

post-13148-1201059129_thumb.jpg

First drove a GT-H in August while in Hawaii for our daughter's wedding. WOW!!!!

Picked up #135 yesterday. It had 9,840 miles on it and had been sitting at the dealer since last Spring. They originally were asking $60K for it. I ended up paying $10K less than they paid Hertz for the car.

The car is in great shape and I am very happy we got it. We've had an 05 Saleen (non-supercharged) and an 07 GT and the GT-H is more fun than either of them!

Jim

Archived