TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Drive Shaft hitting bottom of my Super Snake!?!

Anyone out there had this problem? I have a 2007 Super Snake with the one piece drivehshaft. In addition I have a Chicane custom Watts Link. On rare occasions when I am pushing it, the car will squat down and if I happen to hit the right bump, the driveshaft will make contact with the bottom of the tunnel. It scares the hell out of ya when it happens! Looking at the driveshaft, it seems to hit in more than one place. It seems like the rear-end is turning during this hard acceleration and twisting the u-joint higher. Then combined with a bump in the road, and IMPACT. Shelby looked at it and said I needed the adjustable pedestles and rear springs to raise the car up abit. Others I have talked to say that is a poor band-aid and doesn't really address the problem. I have been looking at the upper control arm and it seems like a bumper is needed between it and the rear end housing near the interface to the driveshaft. I have ordered a Shelby adjustable upper control arm to play with, but it does not have a bumper (yet, may make a custom one). Does anyone have any info, suggestions, etc to help me?? Thanks in advance.

I was just reading some of the past comments from folks on this issue. Seems like it happens to ALOT of people. A couple mentioned the anti-wheel-hop kit fixing it. I am going to mess with the adjustable upper control arm and will report back, but wondered if anyone has any new info/guidance.

Your pinion angle may be off and need to be adjusted. You would do this from an adj. uca. Ford's spec is -1 up to -3 for the pinion angle.

Have you replaced the LCA and install LCA relocation brackets? If you are replacing the UCA, LCA is a must too.

Here is your research reading for the day:

1. http://www.teamshelb..._1#entry1078548

2. http://www.teamshelb..._1#entry1077402

3. http://www.teamshelb..._1#entry1064854

4. http://www.teamshelb..._1#entry1063470

Here is my suspension upgrades after the SS package.

My current suspension & rear setup:

1. billet Steeda LCA's

2. Steeda adj UCA

3. CHE LCA relocations brackets

4. H&R sway bars - front & rear

5. FR3 springs

6. Tokico D-Specs

7. Shelby/Baer Big brake setup

8. 20X11.75 widen SS Alcoa's with Michelin PS2 335/30's

Next upgrade: Fays2 Watts Link ... for convertibles.

Good luck.

Keep us posted.

This happens to once in awhile.

I see the scuff marks n the underside in the tunnel.

"Ford's spec is -1 up to -3 for the pinion angle" on a stock ride height GT500.

How does one measure pinon angle?

What would be the correct pinion angle on a lowered GT500? I am running FRPP FR3 lowering springs, approx lowers 1.25".

Adjustable pedestals? Who sells this?

From the been there done that file.

Remove the driveline, you will see the issue immediatley, I used a bottle jack to press the protruding area up to make it an innie instead of an outie. A shot of paint and all is good.

Sorry no before photo's just after the press.

P4181378.jpg

P4181376.jpg

• 2 years later...

FordFan1 I sent a PM.. Did it solve the problem ? Been reading for an hour on this and there are so many responses .. UCA or LCA or bushings or pinion angle or backlash on and on.. No where have I read I did "this" and it worked.. No more driveshaft hitting the tunnel..

FordFan1 I sent a PM.. Did it solve the problem ? Been reading for an hour on this and there are so many responses .. UCA or LCA or bushings or pinion angle or backlash on and on.. No where have I read I did "this" and it worked.. No more driveshaft hitting the tunnel..

I had two different cars with 1 piece drivelines, (06 Roush lowered with extreme Roush springs) pics above.

In this case yes this corrected the problem.

My '08 SGT was also hitting when lowered with the Griggs suspension, the Spidershaft had other issues (out of round), but yes was also making contact but not as noticable as the Roush. When the DSS was recently installed we did the same modification as pictured above. All is good now.

Archived