TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Boost

rpbt

Does any know what the boost should be? Currently we ar at about 6 pounds and that seems a little low but I am really not sure.

Thanks

Ray

Hi Ray,

Good to hear from you.

6 lbs boost is the correct amount for the factory setting on the Paxton for the V6 Terlingua. It is a terrific car as it comes made and spec'ed. Some Terlingua owners have increased the boost and or swapped pulleys to increase boost and obvious output, some have also blown engines as well.

I am no expert on what is the max safe level that the 4.0 L can handle nor what mods/pulley swaps can be accomodated, but I have read that the 4.0L likely can handle 400 -450 HP at the flywheel safely.

Another possibility without a pulley swap is to bring the car in for a more aggresive tune on a dyno. This will accomplish more HP without likely exceeding the limits of the engine's setup. At least that is best guess.

Hope this helps. Others can chime in as well of course. I know of at least two Terlinguas running close to 500HP at the flywheel or more and another running alcohol that is close. The two running the higher HP have had engine, pulley, tune and other work to accompany the hp increase.

David

We run right at 15 pounds of boost in our Bunny. But the internals of the motor have been replaced and the CAI has also been reworked. The stock CAI for the Paxton really restricts airflow...

Our car is making 451 at the rear wheels with just over 400 ft/lbs of torque. Thank you Michael Rauscher and Jon Lund!!!

We run right at 15 pounds of boost in our Bunny. But the internals of the motor have been replaced and the CAI has also been reworked. The stock CAI for the Paxton really restricts airflow...

Our car is making 451 at the rear wheels with just over 400 ft/lbs of torque. Thank you Michael Rauscher and Jon Lund!!!

Fear the Bunny! :shift:

David

Fear the Bunny! :shift:

David

Could you please advise how you managed to achieve those numbers ??

I changed the pulley on my CS6 and was producing around 9 lbs of boost and in less than 2000 km smoked the head unit.

Gill at Paxton advised me directly that they have a bearing issue with these units and turning them faster will result in failure.

The new head unit I had to buy now has a lockout on the nut and removal voids warranty immediately (not that they honored the original warranty ).

I had originally asked Paxton to sell me a head unit for a Terlingua and he laughed because regardless of what people were lead to believe, these two vehicles utilize the exact same Novi 1200 assembly and although Shelby advertised the Terlingua produced 375 hp Paxton told me directly the numbers were the same as the CS6 vehicles and had asked Shelby to remove these posted numbers from the advertisements because they were false.

Originally I couldn't even get close to the 350 hp CS6 posted numbers and only finally did so with the pulley change and a SCT tuner and program.

I know of another CS6 with the pulley and tune changed and again only slightly more than the originally posted HP numbers.

Your rear wheel posted HP number is where a stock 07/09 GT-500 would run which is exceptional.

I have a spare engine I purchased two years ago to install forged internals, cams and stage three heads but I can't find forged internals for the 4.0L

I would be very interested in finding out where you purchased the component parts and what set-up your using for pulley and tune.

Could you please advise how you managed to achieve those numbers ??

I changed the pulley on my CS6 and was producing around 9 lbs of boost and in less than 2000 km smoked the head unit.

Gill at Paxton advised me directly that they have a bearing issue with these units and turning them faster will result in failure.

The new head unit I had to buy now has a lockout on the nut and removal voids warranty immediately (not that they honored the original warranty ).

I had originally asked Paxton to sell me a head unit for a Terlingua and he laughed because regardless of what people were lead to believe, these two vehicles utilize the exact same Novi 1200 assembly and although Shelby advertised the Terlingua produced 375 hp Paxton told me directly the numbers were the same as the CS6 vehicles and had asked Shelby to remove these posted numbers from the advertisements because they were false.

Originally I couldn't even get close to the 350 hp CS6 posted numbers and only finally did so with the pulley change and a SCT tuner and program.

I know of another CS6 with the pulley and tune changed and again only slightly more than the originally posted HP numbers.

Your rear wheel posted HP number is where a stock 07/09 GT-500 would run which is exceptional.

I have a spare engine I purchased two years ago to install forged internals, cams and stage three heads but I can't find forged internals for the 4.0L

I would be very interested in finding out where you purchased the component parts and what set-up your using for pulley and tune.

I had changed to the 2.88 pulley with 39lb injectors and added a boost-a-pump and was able to get right at 350 to the rear wheels. Though I was only pulling around 12lbs of boost. I had a boost-a-pump failure and leaned the car out on the track and it lifted the ring seats on two cylinders...and ruined one head! So I sent my car to Michaeil Rauscher at L&M engines in PA and he completely reworked the engine. He did extensive head work, did custom cams, and had custom internals forged...it was expensive, but worth it! He also fabbed a new CAI that eliminated the pinch down at the SC. It also now runs 60lb injectors. The car is a blast to drive! The torque is what really surprises you, you can really pull in the corners. I have not had it on a drag strip, but would think it would be in the 12's...

The tune is a custom tune from Jon Lund (Lund Racing)...he does wonders with the car.

Hope it helps...see you at the track!

FEAR the BUNNY!!!

I had changed to the 2.88 pulley with 39lb injectors and added a boost-a-pump and was able to get right at 350 to the rear wheels. Though I was only pulling around 12lbs of boost. I had a boost-a-pump failure and leaned the car out on the track and it lifted the ring seats on two cylinders...and ruined one head! So I sent my car to Michaeil Rauscher at L&M engines in PA and he completely reworked the engine. He did extensive head work, did custom cams, and had custom internals forged...it was expensive, but worth it! He also fabbed a new CAI that eliminated the pinch down at the SC. It also now runs 60lb injectors. The car is a blast to drive! The torque is what really surprises you, you can really pull in the corners. I have not had it on a drag strip, but would think it would be in the 12's...

The tune is a custom tune from Jon Lund (Lund Racing)...he does wonders with the car.

Hope it helps...see you at the track!

FEAR the BUNNY!!!

Thanks for the info, this is exactly what I have been looking for to transform my CS6....I have a Jon Lund tune in my 2010 GT-500 with a pulley / idler change and it's around 560 RWHP....so I know what they can do.

What's the idea behind the boost pump ??? I know they have these in turbo applications but I've never heard of this before..

in a supercharged application.

PA is not that far of a drive from Toronto, could you please PM me some personal information so they will know what setup I'm trying to aciheve and I could ship the engine to them directly then drive the car down to PA for the install etc.

Thanks..

Randy

Randy,

Rauscher will know exactly what your talking about. All you have to do is say you want the same thing that Mike got for his Bunny.

He is a great guy and will be here (with Jon Lund) in Texas this weekend for the Texas Mile.

His # is 215-675-8485.

Randy,

Rauscher will know exactly what your talking about. All you have to do is say you want the same thing that Mike got for his Bunny.

He is a great guy and will be here (with Jon Lund) in Texas this weekend for the Texas Mile.

His # is 215-675-8485.

Excellent...thank you..I'll contact them

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent...thank you..I'll contact them

Randy, I talked to Rauscher at the Texas Mile. I told him to be expecting a call from you. He is ready and just received another Terlingua that is getting the full treatment.

Thanks for the input. I think I will try the dyno if I can find a good one in the Denver/Greeley area. :banvictory:

Finishline Performance. Right off of I-70 and Federal. I'm getting ready to get my car down there pretty soon now that I have my cams in. They have done many of my friends and know how to tune a Mustang at this altitude. They are very good.

They are at 303-428-4660. P.S. I live in Brighton and work in Greeley. The famous Legend Lime Terlingua also lives in Greeley.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, this is exactly what I have been looking for to transform my CS6....I have a Jon Lund tune in my 2010 GT-500 with a pulley / idler change and it's around 560 RWHP....so I know what they can do.

What's the idea behind the boost pump ??? I know they have these in turbo applications but I've never heard of this before..

in a supercharged application.

PA is not that far of a drive from Toronto, could you please PM me some personal information so they will know what setup I'm trying to aciheve and I could ship the engine to them directly then drive the car down to PA for the install etc.

Thanks..

Randy

With the single fuel pump that is in the V6, the 4.0L leans out at 5k RPM. Unlike Mike, I put the GT500 dual fuel pump in my Terlingua and solved that issue (at least until Rauscher and Lund get done with my engine and tuning).

What I did with my car is talked with L&M and put down the deposit for them to order parts. Then I sent my car to them a few weeks later. It should be done in the next week or two.

Archived