TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Bolt-In Rearend?

So, I've been thinking of buying a bolt-in replacement rearend assembly from Strange / Mark Williams / Moser...

I wanna change my gears to 3.73, I hate the rusty OEM rear end, the factory Trak-Lok assembly is kinda weak, so wouldn't it be cool if the FedEx Freight guy just brought me an answer to all these issues all at once?

No time in someone's shop, waiting for my car, I can just install it myself at home...

Also a good time to change out the UCA and mount, and maybe even the driveshaft.

This is part of my continuing project to build up everything on my car to prepare for the day I get it supercharged.

Anyone done this? Thoughts, ideas, etc...

Jer

Personally, I'd put that cash towards the blower, and wait till the rear end breaks to "fix" it other than maybe fixing the rust... I don't think that 8.8" is a weak link till you get into some serious power and/or run slicks on the car. Probably more likely to break the transmission than that rear end I would guess....

Also, I doubt you'd notice a lot going from 3.55 to 3.73, and once your blown, I'd bet that you'll be happy with the 3.55's anyway.

Probably not the opinions you wanted, but those are my thoughts!

I concur on that thought !!! A ford rear is nice and strong and its pretty kool when you do blow your rearend from the blower. I had a big block pontiac 455 worked to the B@lls and only spun a axle tube with a stock rear with slicks. But you do have the right setup when its time.

That was a GM rear 10 bolt

Personally, I'd put that cash towards the blower, and wait till the rear end breaks to "fix" it other than maybe fixing the rust... I don't think that 8.8" is a weak link till you get into some serious power and/or run slicks on the car. Probably more likely to break the transmission than that rear end I would guess....

Also, I doubt you'd notice a lot going from 3.55 to 3.73, and once your blown, I'd bet that you'll be happy with the 3.55's anyway.

Probably not the opinions you wanted, but those are my thoughts!

Nah, I never ask to get an answer I "want", I ask for real advice, so thank you.

As for the gears, I will be swapping those, because even though most people change them for "quickness off the line", I want them because they suit the way I drive. I'm almost never in 5th gear, I like to ride in a higher rev range, and have very little highway driving these days.

Thanks again,

Jer

I drove/ drive like that too, but the torque is insane with the whipple, I can't imagine it with steeper gears too! Let us know how the gears work out if you swap though!

Good point.

Well, there are folks who swear by 'em, even 4.10s, with a Whipple...

I'll just hafta have a light foot!

Yeah, right, my big fat size thirteens! Unlikely!

Jer

Hi Jer,

You will barely notice a difference from 3.55 to 3.73....go right to 4.10....also these 8.8's are very strong. I have had them ion cars making 1000+ HP...

Send me your rear and I will ship it back...with a Torsen, 4.10's, and painted....LOL

Alex

Good point.

Well, there are folks who swear by 'em, even 4.10s, with a Whipple...

I'll just hafta have a light foot!

Yeah, right, my big fat size thirteens! Unlikely!

Jer

I know you don't like my 2 cents but 4.10's or nothing !!! buts your money

I think 4.10s are way too much for a daily driven street car....great for the drag strip, but way too much for street....I had 3.73s in my 96 GT, and I loved them....always wondered why ours came with the 3.55s, but I guess it's all in the interest of the epa gas mileage readings....LOL

Go for the rear end swap....that is sure the way I would do it if I could afford one....always good to have a spare around just in case....

Hi Jer,

You will barely notice a difference from 3.55 to 3.73....go right to 4.10....also these 8.8's are very strong. I have had them ion cars making 1000+ HP...

Send me your rear and I will ship it back...with a Torsen, 4.10's, and painted....LOL

Alex

Alex,

If you weren't so far away, I would!

One of my goals is to have the car suffer NO downtime.

Now, if you find yourself with a spare rearend that you could prep and send... hmmm...

Jer

Alex,

If you weren't so far away, I would!

One of my goals is to have the car suffer NO downtime.

Now, if you find yourself with a spare rearend that you could prep and send... hmmm...

Jer

LOL...far away?? Like Canada, Russia, Dubai, and New Jersey aren't far away?? Done cars for people alot farther than 3.5 hour drive, Jer...LOL :finger:

I don't keep rears in stock usually as they take up too much space....

Alex

LOL...far away?? Like Canada, Russia, Dubai, and New Jersey aren't far away?? Done cars for people alot farther than 3.5 hour drive, Jer...LOL :finger:

I don't keep rears in stock usually as they take up too much space....

Alex

Ha! Yeah, after I typed that, even *I* laughed at the "far away" part...

I'm still thinking like I live in NY, I guess...

Jer

I have 4:10s and a whipple 550HP. I drive 60 miles a day round trip and at 80 miles an hour I an running about 2300 to 2400 rpm at 21.5 miles to the gallon wiht air on and with a lot of fun in any gear I am in. Just wanted to pass this along for the 4:10 na-sayers.

-Billy

I can see if there was no 5th gear but there is one and if you have the cash to burn for a new rear. Then why not buck up for a 6spd transmission its a couple dollars then you can do 4.56. Supercharger then plumb in a nice turbo set up and throw in a mobil fuel truck to follow you. :hysterical:

You don't have thank me buddy logic is free

Archived