TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Done with Ford

09shlb

I started to have a problem with the white stripe on my 2009GT500, it was bubbling on the tail panel between the tail lights. Now it has actually started peeling off. I have been to 3 Ford dealers in my area and each has looked at the stripe, agreed it is a problem and took digital photos. One dealer said they could not fix the problem until Shelby authorized the work. I tried to explain to him that Shelby did not put the stripes on the GT500, Ford did this. After a heated discussion he suggested I look for service at another dealer. The 2 other dealers wrote the problem up and said they would call me back after Ford authorized the work. None have called me back or would answer my calls. When I went to see the body shop manager, they were unavailable. I tried to call SVT today but was unable to get through. I called Customer Relations and after a long call with a very nice lady I was told that it was a Shelby problem but that one of the dealerships I had already visited said they would repair the stripe if I paid for it. Been fighting this fight for months and have had it with Ford. Just bought my wife a new Grand Cherokee with a Hemi and if this stripe issue doesn't get resolved soon, you may see a low mileage, 427 edition in the classifieds soon.

while mine are not bubbling. they do look like michael J fox installed then. ( wow that wasnt right)

im planning on having them pulled painted and cleared. ive never been a fan of stickers.

sorry for your issues sir

Plain & Simple, The stripes are covered by the 3/30 bumper to bumper warranty. No authorization is needed as long as you fall within the 3/30. Your dealer is the authority. They are probably passing the buck because they have no one capable of replacing the stripes. They are not easy to install.

If it were me, I would call Ford (The phone number is in the back of your owners manual) and report that your selling dealer refuses to take action. This will automatically start a report that lets the dealer know that you have reported them. That report will show up at the dealer every day untill they take action.

I started to have a problem with the white stripe on my 2009GT500, it was bubbling on the tail panel between the tail lights. Now it has actually started peeling off. I have been to 3 Ford dealers in my area and each has looked at the stripe, agreed it is a problem and took digital photos. One dealer said they could not fix the problem until Shelby authorized the work. I tried to explain to him that Shelby did not put the stripes on the GT500, Ford did this. After a heated discussion he suggested I look for service at another dealer. The 2 other dealers wrote the problem up and said they would call me back after Ford authorized the work. None have called me back or would answer my calls. When I went to see the body shop manager, they were unavailable. I tried to call SVT today but was unable to get through. I called Customer Relations and after a long call with a very nice lady I was told that it was a Shelby problem but that one of the dealerships I had already visited said they would repair the stripe if I paid for it. Been fighting this fight for months and have had it with Ford. Just bought my wife a new Grand Cherokee with a Hemi and if this stripe issue doesn't get resolved soon, you may see a low mileage, 427 edition in the classifieds soon.

I have had both stripes on my hood replaced, they were lifting around the hood vents and one panel on the rear bumper. No hassle, no questions asked.

The list price of those three pices were $ 1400. dollars.

Same here, had drivers side hood and both on the trunk panel replaced, same problem as the OP. These are Ford cars, not conversion SGT or KRs, and Ford don't need no stinkin' authorization to work on them. Call regional and then corporate on the dealer.

Whoops didn't notice the OP had the 427 package. That may be a different story, I don't know now.

All the local Dealers I have talked to say the Stripes are covered for only one year........................

I had the same problem with the trunk on my 09. Took it to the dealer I use and started with the Service advisor. He said it was a body shop item, but also said if they would not do it to come back to him. Went to the body shop and the advisor there said they have replaced several stripes on these cars. It seems silver is the worst for shrinking. The manager had to ok the replacement and he was out that day. Went back the next day and he said the stripes were covered and would replace them. I was warned the the last set took three months to get in. They ordered them and in less then a week they were in and installed. The manager said they have some one come in just to do the stripes. No problems here.:happy feet: :happy feet:

All the local Dealers I have talked to say the Stripes are covered for only one year........................

They're wrong.

To the OP, are any of these dealers you visited the one where you got the car?

Short version, it's covered under the 3/36 B-to-B warranty. No questions, no excuses. UNLESS your Shelby 427 package replaced the stripes. If so, it's a Shelby problem.

These stripes suck pond water. Have since day 1 back in June of '06. As soon as I got my car back then (and someone tagged the hood with a chunk of asphalt) I had them all stripped off and painted on. Brighter white, too, with a blue base instead of the yellow-ish crap they used.

Call Ford. The numbers and the process are all laid out in black and white in your warranty booklet. Stunning, I know.

bj

The 427 package didn't touch the stripes so it is a Ford issue. Because I was insistent on the vista blue w/white I drove about 250 miles to a dealer that had one. Since it is a Ford issue I think I should be able to go to any Ford dealer to get it fixed. I could go to any Ford dealer and they would happy to change my oil, why not fix a warranty item? It's not like they are loosing money. Hopefully when I contact SVT on Monday they can finally get this straightened out. The thing that really irks me is that they hear Shelby and automatically think of the SGT issue and dismiss me. They aren't willing to even think it is something they should/could deal with.

Sorry to hear about your problem but don't let a stripe issue get the best of you, you have a very nice car, I know what I am about to say is not what you may to hear but just get them painted on and be done with it because I am sure you may have to replace them again come another few years. Save yourself the headaches and take matter into your own hands. I am lucky I have a great mechanic that Loves the Shelby brand and mustangs in general so I get a bit of special treatment, it shouldn't be that way but it is. Good luck but whatever you do, do not give up that GT500 :finger:

The 427 package didn't touch the stripes so it is a Ford issue. Because I was insistent on the vista blue w/white I drove about 250 miles to a dealer that had one. Since it is a Ford issue I think I should be able to go to any Ford dealer to get it fixed. I could go to any Ford dealer and they would happy to change my oil, why not fix a warranty item? It's not like they are loosing money. Hopefully when I contact SVT on Monday they can finally get this straightened out. The thing that really irks me is that they hear Shelby and automatically think of the SGT issue and dismiss me. They aren't willing to even think it is something they should/could deal with.

Not all Ford Dealerships have the Capabilities to do all Warranty work. My White Front and rear Bumper Cover were yellowing. My Selling Dealer didn’t have a body shop. I was able to pick the shop I wanted to repaint them and Ford paid that Private shop. I’m sure your dealer can do the same!

Plain & Simple, The stripes are covered by the 3/30 bumper to bumper warranty. No authorization is needed as long as you fall within the 3/30. Your dealer is the authority. They are probably passing the buck because they have no one capable of replacing the stripes. They are not easy to install.

If it were me, I would call Ford (The phone number is in the back of your owners manual) and report that your selling dealer refuses to take action. This will automatically start a report that lets the dealer know that you have reported them. That report will show up at the dealer every day untill they take action.

Any body or paint issues are 12/12 at best.They figure if there is a paint or body problem it will be pointed out at once, not three years later.. Any body,paint,trim,ect is now digitally photo'ed and FORD must authorize the repair. The days of free-bees under warranty are gone my friend ,they are very tough unless it is a clear defect or failed part. Note: if FORD denies the repair they will not reimburse the dealer for the repair under any circumstances..They would not repair my rear valance under warranty. The rear struts that fasten the lower valance to the body broke due to cheap design/plastic. They told me I had wrecked my car and to contact my insurance company.I was seeing blood red when they told me that. The best part of the whole thing is that they stated that the mechanic at the dealership who inspected it said that it looked as if it had been wrecked. I said really!!!!!!!.................................... How about this......I'm the freaking mechanic that inspected it...............and it's my car that sits in the garage except for nice summer days when I take it on joy rides..........and to boot it only has 3000 miles and has never been wrecked.... Also you could see where the other struts where getting ready to break in the same manner due to flexing from turbulance under the vehicle...

Still, they denied the claim. I had to get the Ford service field rep involved to get it taken care of.

Any body or paint issues are 12/12 at best.

When I bought my 2010 GT500 I was told by the F&I Manager at Phil Long Ford/Motor City (Co. Springs, CO) that the paint was NOT covered under warranty at all, for any period of time.

I was surprised and said so...she said "check your paint out WELL, before taking delivery because once it leaves here it is not covered". If I found a paint defect pre-delivery, it would obviously be repaired...if I found it post-delivery, NO COVERAGE and she pointed it out in the verbage of the warranty document I signed.

I don't know if it's any different for 2009 and earlier, but for 2010 (and I ASSUME later) you have NO coverage for paint issues.

Having said that, since the stripes are NOT PAINTED....I'd bet a guy could push the issue and get them warrantied.

Phill

Any body or paint issues are 12/12 at best.They figure if there is a paint or body problem it will be pointed out at once, not three years later.. Any body,paint,trim,ect is now digitally photo'ed and FORD must authorize the repair. The days of free-bees under warranty are gone my friend ,they are very tough unless it is a clear defect or failed part. Note: if FORD denies the repair they will not reimburse the dealer for the repair under any circumstances..They would not repair my rear valance under warranty. The rear struts that fasten the lower valance to the body broke due to cheap design/plastic. They told me I had wrecked my car and to contact my insurance company.I was seeing blood red when they told me that. The best part of the whole thing is that they stated that the mechanic at the dealership who inspected it said that it looked as if it had been wrecked. I said really!!!!!!!.................................... How about this......I'm the freaking mechanic that inspected it...............and it's my car that sits in the garage except for nice summer days when I take it on joy rides..........and to boot it only has 3000 miles and has never been wrecked.... Also you could see where the other struts where getting ready to break in the same manner due to flexing from turbulance under the vehicle...

Still, they denied the claim. I had to get the Ford service field rep involved to get it taken care of.

I will get the final word on this issue tomorrow. I will check with my Warranty manager. I'm the parts manager at a Ford dealership.

I'm sorry for your problems man.

And after reading mr ford's problem I'm just sitting here shaking my head. I'd like to see their face when you told them that YOU were the one that inspected it.... amazing.

I have only owned a Ford since 1991 so I really have no experience with other dealerships and how they handle warranty work, but I'll say this... it has ALWAYS been like pulling teeth whenever I tried to get warranty work performed.

My guess is they want to put you off and make it as aggravating as possible so that you'll either

1. Go away or

2. Pay for it yourself

It's really sad but that's been my experience. And because of that I simply never take my car to the dealer... so they won. It's not worth the aggravation to me to deal with it and I'd rather either pay for it myself, or fix it myself (if possible) and be done with it.

I hope your issue gets resolved man.

When I bought my 2010 GT500 I was told by the F&I Manager at Phil Long Ford/Motor City (Co. Springs, CO) that the paint was NOT covered under warranty at all, for any period of time.

I was surprised and said so...she said "check your paint out WELL, before taking delivery because once it leaves here it is not covered". If I found a paint defect pre-delivery, it would obviously be repaired...if I found it post-delivery, NO COVERAGE and she pointed it out in the verbage of the warranty document I signed.

Phill

So, at 5000 miles, when a big chunk of paint flakes off the trunk lid, it's not covered........at all...... I find that hard to believe and not in line with my experience with any auto manufacturer. Most have a paint and rust-through warranty.......I'll have to go read my owner's handbook......again.

I have only owned a Ford since 1991 so I really have no experience with other dealerships and how they handle warranty work, but I'll say this... it has ALWAYS been like pulling teeth whenever I tried to get warranty work performed.

My guess is they want to put you off and make it as aggravating as possible so that you'll either

1. Go away or

2. Pay for it yourself

It's really sad but that's been my experience. And because of that I simply never take my car to the dealer... so they won. It's not worth the aggravation to me to deal with it and I'd rather either pay for it myself, or fix it myself (if possible) and be done with it.

I worked in a independant shop for 10 years and had customers with items that were *obviously* covered under warranty (wouldn't have been ANY problem) flat out refuse to take their car the dealer for warranty work. They prefered to pay me to do it rather than take it to the dealer and have it done for FREE.

Now *that* is a sad statement regarding Dealerships and warranty in general.

And I'm not talking about 10 dollar repairs. I'm talking about hundreds of dollars worth of repairs.

Sad,

Phill (but they kept ME in the money!)

So, at 5000 miles, when a big chunk of paint flakes off the trunk lid, it's not covered........at all...... I find that hard to believe and not in line with my experience with any auto manufacturer.

YEP!

That's what I said too. We live at 6000+ feet above sea level and the sun is BRUTAL up here. When she told me that I was like, "WHAT!? You're kidding, right?".

NOPE! Look, it says so right here.....

Remember, mine is a 2010. I don't know if the same policy applies to earlier (or later) models...

Phill

OK, Spoke to my warranty manager today, Bottom line if it is made by Ford and installed on the vehicle from factory, IT IS COVERED !! 3 YEARS or 36 THOUSAND MILES . That includes Paint !!

I spoke to the SVT rep today and he confirmed that the stripes on a GT500 are covered under the 3/36K warranty. Said that it is up to the individual dealership as to 1) whether or not they would do the work and 2) if thy recommend it be covered by the warranty. I was told that if a dealership claimed it was a Shelby issue I could have them call SVT and they would confirm that the stripes are a Ford item and covered under the 3/26K but could not force the dealership to take on the job. Also, it would be up to the dealership to determine that it is a manufacture defect and not a customer caused problem. Based on this conversation I was apprehensive to go to one of the dealerships that had already turned me down for fear they could randomly claim it was owner caused and I would then have a bigger fight on my hands. I got on the Internet searching for Ford dealers in adjoining cities. I did find one that knew the stripes were a Ford issue and said that they had repaired several GT500's for the same problem. They invited me to bring the car in for them to look at and if the defect is as I claim they will be happy to repair it. i have to get off early one day this week to get the car in and we will see what happens but this sounds very positive. Funny thing, the body shop manager said that there are many dealerships that don't want to work on GT500's because us owners are more educated on our cars and picky about the repairs. More people should be as educated as on their cars as we are.

Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions

I spoke to the SVT rep today and he confirmed that the stripes on a GT500 are covered under the 3/36K warranty. Said that it is up to the individual dealership as to 1) whether or not they would do the work and 2) if thy recommend it be covered by the warranty. I was told that if a dealership claimed it was a Shelby issue I could have them call SVT and they would confirm that the stripes are a Ford item and covered under the 3/26K but could not force the dealership to take on the job. Also, it would be up to the dealership to determine that it is a manufacture defect and not a customer caused problem. Based on this conversation I was apprehensive to go to one of the dealerships that had already turned me down for fear they could randomly claim it was owner caused and I would then have a bigger fight on my hands. I got on the Internet searching for Ford dealers in adjoining cities. I did find one that knew the stripes were a Ford issue and said that they had repaired several GT500's for the same problem. They invited me to bring the car in for them to look at and if the defect is as I claim they will be happy to repair it. i have to get off early one day this week to get the car in and we will see what happens but this sounds very positive. Funny thing, the body shop manager said that there are many dealerships that don't want to work on GT500's because us owners are more educated on our cars and picky about the repairs. More people should be as educated as on their cars as we are.

I knew from your first post that it was not a warranty issue it was an issue of weather your dealership was competent to do the job. I helped another member here get his stripes taken care of under warranty. The dealership (after many months of fighting) replaced some of his stripes. They did a HORRIBLE job. They were, by far, much worse after the repair than they were before the repair. I knew, from experience, that there was a specialty shop (Thank You AutoTrim Design in Pennsdale Pa.) that was very good at replacing these stripes. I contacted his selling dealership and convinced them to allow AutoTrim to do the repair. He now has stripes that look like they should have from the factory.

Good luck & don't give up. There are really dealerships out there that do care !!!

YEP!

That's what I said too. We live at 6000+ feet above sea level and the sun is BRUTAL up here. When she told me that I was like, "WHAT!? You're kidding, right?".

NOPE! Look, it says so right here.....

Remember, mine is a 2010. I don't know if the same policy applies to earlier (or later) models...

Phill

Never trust the dealer, especially the F&I people who are only there to take your money! I hope you didn't sign some waiver that relieves them of their warranty obligations. Page 9 of my 2007 warranty booklet indicates that paint is covered by the 36/36 and even environmental damage is covered. "our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first." From what we see in the posts above, that applies across the board.....

Good luck! It's good to know there is hope...

:salute:

Never trust the dealer, especially the F&I people who are only there to take your money! I hope you didn't sign some waiver that relieves them of their warranty obligations. Page 9 of my 2007 warranty booklet indicates that paint is covered by the 36/36 and even environmental damage is covered. "our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first." From what we see in the posts above, that applies across the board.....

One of my best friends is a F&I Mgr. so I know how they work. He'll sell you a breath of fresh air if you're dumb enough to buy it...and he makes (well, MADE) GOOD money...6 digit money.

Now I'm wondering if I signed some kind of waiver too. I'm going to have to dig out my documents and check. But having said that, I've owned the car for over a year now so it's moot. But if I did sign something like that, I WILL go in and raise hell with her.

She's a LOOKER (and I mean H-O-T) named "Summer" and I'd love to have a reason to go in and look at her...err, I mean talk to her again.

I'll look in my 2010 Warranty Manual. Any section in particular I should pay attention to? I *think* she said something like "Paint and Finish" wasn't covered...I know it was more than just "Paint".

Thanks for the info,

Phill

Archived